Streaing Quality

mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im going to get rid of sky as its to expensive, and my question is which is best for quality?

Does Now tv have any live channels or hd channels ? Whats the streaming quality like of the You Tv boxes showing sky channels via Talk Talk and Bt Tv ? why does Talk Talk tv not have many hd channels , Im not on about the freeview channels,

And why does no one show channel 5 in hd apart from Virgin and Sky ?

Comments

• David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a TalkTalk YouView subscriber, and there is more HD material available than is immediately obvious. A lot more. It is to be found on Netflix and the TalkTalk Player. These, of course, are both additional services, for which you pay extra, but the price is actually very reasonable in my opinion. Netflix, to be accurate, is not unique to TalkTalk. It is on all YouView boxes, including the retail ones, and is optional. The TalkTalk Player is unique to TalkTalk. It is, essentially, a pay-per view service that includes feature films (frequently available on the day that the DVD / BD comes out), stage shows, concerts, optional material from Sky, Bollywood etc. etc. TalkTalk bought Blinkbox a few months ago and this is now beginning to appear in the TalkTalk Player in that we can now buy material to keep. What we actually get is the right to stream it for the rest of our lives, whether or not we maintain our TalkTalk subscription. So far, that particular offering is limited to 'Game of Thrones', but more is coming.

The streaming quality on both Netflix and the TalkTalk Player is excellent, provided your broadband speed is at least 5Mbps.

If you subscribe to TalkTalk's 'Plus' package, you get Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Living, Sky Real Lives, Sky Arts and Sky Sports News as part of the package. You can add just about the rest of the Sky package (not Sky Atlantic, though) if you wish (at extra cost, obviously). These are all in standard definition. Assuming that your TV can upscale SD material without making it look like a dog's breakfast, you shouldn't find much to complain about in terms of picture quality. One thing that you may find, however, is that the Sky channels have a tendency to freeze occasionally. Whether you experience this seems to depend on which box you have. Huawei boxes can suffer badly, with the programme freezing and requiring you to switch to another channel and back again. Humax boxes seem to be more robust and, although they are also affected, it is just a momentary dropout. This appears to be unique to the Sky channels, however. Netflix and the TalkTalk Player do not exhibit this behaviour, so there must be some difference in the way they are streamed.

Channel Five was offered an HD slot on Freeview twice and failed to take it up both times. Shallow pockets there, I think.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a plusnet customer and the internet channels are superb quality on the youview box, also i use nowtv on my ps3 and the few times i've watched live channels the quality has been good.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that. I said if it could upscale SD material without making it look like a dog's breakfast. The upscaling process fits the SD picture to the HD panel. Some TVs do that better than others. Bearing in mind that the vast majority of material broadcast in this country is still SD, that can be an important consideration when choosing a TV set. The point I was making was that the streamed Sky channels on YouView look much the same as a decent SD picture on Freeview. How good they look to the viewer's eye depends heavily on the quality of the TV's scaling engine.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Im going to get rid of sky as its to expensive, and my question is which is best for quality?

Does Now tv have any live channels or hd channels ? Whats the streaming quality like of the You Tv boxes showing sky channels via Talk Talk and Bt Tv ? why does Talk Talk tv not have many hd channels , Im not on about the freeview channels,

And why does no one show channel 5 in hd apart from Virgin and Sky ?

Hi there,

First of all, if you decide to move online for television viewing, be prepared for changes in how you watch TV.

This is not bad, just different. Live TV is available online, but live TV is the old way to watch. Except for sport or news, I can't really find any reason to watch live TV. After-all, once I got used to the fact that what I wanted to watch was a particular programme, DVR (recording) or catch-up & on-demand was just better - I got to watch what I want, when I want, i.e. I set the terms, not the TV broadcast.

It is just that the habit needs to be broken.

Anyway, that said, Now TV offers live streams in 720p HD for all their three packages, so if you really must watch live, it is there. Personally, I find the quality for the most part excellent. Pixel peepers will still spot defects on a good stream to Satellite, and sometimes things go bad (i.e. the odd buffer during major sporting events etc), but these are getting fewer and less common.

Hopping between channels is not quite so easy and fluid, but it is still possible.

The best way to cut the cord (so to speak) is to look at how much you are spending now, what you watch, and what you want to watch. Many people do it by mixing Now TV with Netflix and/or Prime. Many here add something called Smart DNS which unblocks global content, so you can then switch between every Netflix country and it increases the available library.

There is a lot of choice also in devices. Check here for details on what is available online, live and on-demand, as well as global access via Smart DNS.

Finally, I will say that it is most certainly possible to get almost everything you want via the Internet for a lot less than a traditional satellite or cable subscription. But planning is important. There will also be some things you will loose out on (you will just have to decide if that is a deciding factor) but at the same time, you will gain things as well.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^Great post.. The most obvious thing when cutting the cord I found, was the lack of just something to watch say while having dinner etc. You've got to actually find programmes etc. I actually have found Youtube fills this gap nicely. I've not completely cut the cord yet, I still have the basic Sky package and BBC1 etc, but finding I use them less and less, so after the Rugby World Cup, I may cut the cord all together and ditch the TV licence as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^Thanks Philip, you have a good point too about casual watching, something that live TV can offer without actually thinking about it too hard.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^Great post.. The most obvious thing when cutting the cord I found, was the lack of just something to watch say while having dinner etc. You've got to actually find programmes etc. I actually have found Youtube fills this gap nicely. I've not completely cut the cord yet, I still have the basic Sky package and BBC1 etc, but finding I use them less and less, so after the Rugby World Cup, I may cut the cord all together and ditch the TV licence as well.

This is why i got plusnet tv installed as i was always erming and arring at what to watch at dinner time lol or in the morning when i wake up i can just switch on bbc news without booting up the pc, I still use my online tv more though but i find plusnet having live streams of syfy,discover,fox etc useful for meal times plus there are still a few b movies on syfy that i can't find online yet.
    For online tv i find xfinity to be the best if like me you're lucky enough to know someone in USA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    This is why i got plusnet tv installed as i was always erming and arring at what to watch at dinner time lol or in the morning when i wake up i can just switch on bbc news without booting up the pc, I still use my online tv more though but i find plusnet having live streams of syfy,discover,fox etc useful for meal times plus there are still a few b movies on syfy that i can't find online yet.
    For online tv i find xfinity to be the best if like me you're lucky enough to know someone in USA.

Agree on xfinity. I use freeview, netflix, usual catch ups and Apple TV usa channels via xfinity. Hands down better than sky. And all for, err, £6 a month. Bargain hey. And all HD
  • zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    Hi there,

Anyway, that said, Now TV offers live streams in 720p HD for all their three packages, so if you really must watch live, it is there. Personally, I find the quality for the most part excellent. Pixel peepers will still spot defects on a good stream to Satellite, and sometimes things go bad (i.e. the odd buffer during major sporting events etc), but these are getting fewer and less common.

Only pointing this out as I was researching this just last night but all Live content on Now TV is SD except on Apple TV for some reason http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point zantarous, perhaps they were testing HD when I ran my own tests. I saw 720p streams from a couple of other platforms such as their Xbox One app. I'm about to update my review here, and when I do I'll runs some new bitrate tests.

I am wondering if they have been trying out 720p for live, without claiming official support yet.