Options

Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock

Comments

• Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I much preferred The Final Frontier to A Matter of Life and Death - which is the only Maiden album (outside the 4 90's efforts) that I don't love.

I just gave AMOLAD another listen again recently. There's some great tracks on there, but I think the main problem is actually the mixing. Almost sounds like it was recorded underwater at times; very thin guitars and Bruce sounds like he's in a different room. I definitely think it is the weakest of all the post-reunion albums (Brave New World > Dance of Death > Final Frontier > AMOLAD)
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One to divide opinions...

Babymetal are playing Wembley Arena on Saturday April 2nd next year. ;)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Wembley had better stock up on tissues then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Wembley had better stock up on tissues then

Ermmm... Why? :confused:
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fools and their money.,,,,
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sky at least the BBC have some of the performances from Reading available to download.
    I watched Limp Bizkit yesterday and Metallica today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Fools and their money.,,,,

Why do you say that? I have seen them live twice and they are brilliant. In over 35 years of gigging I've not seen many bands technically better than the Kami Band.

However that still doesn't explain why, apparently, Wembley Arena need to stock up on extra tissues...
    On Sky at least the BBC have some of the performances from Reading available to download.
    I watched Limp Bizkit yesterday and Metallica today

I've got a BT vision box and on the BBC iPlayer there are over 25 different sets available to watch.
  • Options
    Fieldmouse83Fieldmouse83 Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to the 1st Iron Maiden release from Book of Souls (Speed of Light) but it's really not exciting me so far and that has me worried I'll find the album a disappointment- which would be extremely rare for me 😟

Hoping with few more plays it will grow on me.
  • Options
    PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Booked my ticket today. :D
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much preferred The Final Frontier to A Matter of Life and Death - which is the only Maiden album (outside the 4 90's efforts) that I don't love.

Yeah same here.
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I just gave AMOLAD another listen again recently. There's some great tracks on there, but I think the main problem is actually the mixing. Almost sounds like it was recorded underwater at times; very thin guitars and Bruce sounds like he's in a different room. I definitely think it is the weakest of all the post-reunion albums (Brave New World > Dance of Death > Final Frontier > AMOLAD)

It's the production and the fact it's all very one paced that makes it one of their lesser albums for me.

Ranking the albums is hard, I'm one of those (rare?) fans who thinks the post-reunion material is nearly as strong as the golden age. I'd have to rank them in catagories (Chronological order in the catagories).

Classics...
    - Somewhere in Time.
    - Seventh Son

Great...
    - Powerslave
    - Brave New World.
    - Dance of Death.

Good....
    - Iron Maiden.
    - Number of the Beast.
    - Peace of Mind.
    - The Final Frontier.

Decent...
    - Killers.
    - No Prayer for the Dying.
    - The X Factor.
    - Life and Death.

Poor...
    - Fear of the Dark.
    - Virtual XI.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to the 1st Iron Maiden release from Book of Souls (Speed of Light) but it's really not exciting me so far and that has me worried I'll find the album a disappointment- which would be extremely rare for me 😟

Hoping with few more plays it will grow on me.

The "Book Of Souls" is a double looking forward to getting my copy on release date.

Followed by a huge tour next year.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love A Matter Of Life And Death just shows how opinions divide.

One of my Maiden Favs.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah same here.

It's the production and the fact it's all very one paced that makes it one of their lesser albums for me.

Ranking the albums is hard, I'm one of those (rare?) fans who thinks the post-reunion material is nearly as strong as the golden age. I'd have to rank them in catagories (Chronological order in the catagories).

Classics...
    - Somewhere in Time.
    - Seventh Son

Great...
    - Powerslave
    - Brave New World.
    - Dance of Death.

Good....
    - Iron Maiden.
    - Number of the Beast.
    - Peace of Mind.
    - The Final Frontier.

Decent...
    - Killers.
    - No Prayer for the Dying.
    - The X Factor.
    - Life and Death.

Poor...
    - Fear of the Dark.
    - Virtual XI.

For me, I'd rank in this order:

Piece of Mind
    Number of the Beast
    Powerslave
    Brave New World
    Somewhere in Time
    Dance of Death
    Seventh Son
    The Final Frontier
    No Prayer for the Dying
    A Matter of Life and Death
    Fear of the Dark
    Killers
    Iron Maiden
    The X Factor
    Virtual XI

I think one of the great things about Maiden is that they don't have a "definitive" album. Yes, NOTB may be the most well-known and certainly be what they're associated with - plus a strong case can be made for it being their best album - but it's far from agreed that it is. So different from other bands of the era EG. Metallica is Puppets, Slayer is Reign in Blood, GNR is Appetite...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PeteA wrote: »
    Booked my ticket today. :D

Booked my tickets too! :D
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, I'd rank in this order:

Piece of Mind
    Number of the Beast
    Powerslave
    Brave New World
    Somewhere in Time
    Dance of Death
    Seventh Son
    The Final Frontier
    No Prayer for the Dying
    A Matter of Life and Death
    Fear of the Dark
    Killers
    Iron Maiden
    The X Factor
    Virtual XI

I think one of the great things about Maiden is that they don't have a "definitive" album. Yes, NOTB may be the most well-known and certainly be what they're associated with - plus a strong case can be made for it being their best album - but it's far from agreed that it is. So different from other bands of the era EG. Metallica is Puppets, Slayer is Reign in Blood, GNR is Appetite...

Yeah NotB is the most well known, but I've tended to find hanging round with fans and online Maiden forums that 'Powerslave' is the one that tops the best album polls more often than not.

Just listened to Book of Soul for the first time - early impression is it's got a Matter of Life and Death like production disappointingly. Song wise it sounds solid - but it's going to require many more listens to get to grips with it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems as though Black Sabbath are calling it quits for good in 2016 - they've announced a final tour simply entitled 'The End' :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems as though Black Sabbath are calling it quits for good in 2016 - they've announced a final tour simply entitled 'The End' :(

Hardly that surprising been touted for a long time.

Ozzy is not the force he once was and its better to go out on a high.

Though it is quite sad after so many years but the individual members i am guessing would still produce music.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My vinyl copy of Book of Souls on vinyl arrived today. Listening now and loving it. I'm another of those rare folks who likes their recent output so I've been looking forward to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vinyl copy of Book of Souls on vinyl arrived today. Listening now and loving it. I'm another of those rare folks who likes their recent output so I've been looking forward to this.

Yes my amazon delivery i am still awaiting on a physical copy good then that with their music if you buy it you get the free MP3 version.

Very good production sound even on my I Phone.

Which is what i am listening too and liking the new album much as i also like the recent output.:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As a Maiden fan since the beginning I have no problem at all with their recent output. I've only had a chance to listen to it properly once but I think it is a really solid album on first listen, as with all Maiden albums it will take a while for me to really get in to it.
  • Options
    BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have yet to hear Book Of Souls all the way through, due to time limits since I got it but have listened to most of the tracks, picked at random, if that makes sense. Really liking it so far, a couple of tracks I think will take a bit more time but some rather brilliant epics and a couple of the shorter tracks also sound great,

I think I do like most of the more recent albums over many of the earlier ones funnily enough, Brave New World being possibly their best ever, alongside Seventh Son, also Dance Of Death being very strong. I think Book Of Souls will rank very much alongside those two.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been listening to Judas Priest recently
    saw them at download and they were a band I never really bothered with before but decided to see them in december and bought their back catalogue and enjoying it even though the early albums are a bit before my time.
    Is Limp Bizkit at reading festival on bbc iplayer? I watched metallica on there at the weekend but couldn't find limp bizkit.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Limp Bizkit was there at the time of the festival and I'm sure it said it would expire in 30 days so I guess it should be on there.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Limp Bizkit was there at the time of the festival and I'm sure it said it would expire in 30 days so I guess it should be on there.

had to watch it on my tv via laptop as it didn't come up on bbc iplayer on my smart blu ray player.
    I enjoyed metallica more as I don't know why Limp Bizkit had a keyboard/synth there and felt it ruined the songs and didn't like that they played rap and hip hop music between the songs and I'm sure Fred Durst forgot some of the words like in the second half of the second verse of my generation he sang the second half from the first verse again and I think during take a look around as well.
    but apart from that it was good.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After two attempts at listening to the new Maiden album but failing due to having to do other things before even getting to the second LP I thought I'd check something.
    'The Book of Souls' has eleven tracks. If you put together the eleven longest songs of the great 1980-1988 period, not only do you get an album shorter than TBOS but you also end up with an unbelievably good Iron Maiden album.

1. Phantom of the Opera
    2. Hallowed Be Thy Name
    3. Revelations
    4. To Tame A Land
    5. Powerslave
    6. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    7. Caught Somewhere in Time
    8 Heaven Can Wait
    9. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
    10 Alexander the Great
    11. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

One that I've had in my car for the last few days and have listened to three or four times with no problem.