Apple getting desperate

1147148149150151153»

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I thought it was google docs, maps and mail that did that years ago.

Though we also had Pocket Word and such like for Windows CE many years before this Google stuff.

I mean the multi tasking, powerpoint etc. Basically using the tablet as you would a computer.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Oh yeah forgot about them! Good tablets. But they aren't laptops!

To be honest I had one until about 2 weeks ago. Sent it of for repair to Asus for LCD banding and it came back unfixed. It has it's casing popping out, off centre LCD below the glass and the glass wasn't bonded correctly. Also, Asus uses cheap NAND flash so storage speeds are slow (browsing is painful). I've heard HP are releasing an Android tablet with a dock (based on the Envy X2). I'm now a happy Note 10.1 user :)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    TAlso, Asus uses cheap NAND flash so storage speeds are slow (browsing is painful)

Why would browser performance be slowed down by slow storage?

Surely the browser would be all in RAM?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft has also done a terrible job at marketing the Surface. The adverts are awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Why would browser performance be slowed down by slow storage?

Surely the browser would be all in RAM?

No. If the internal storage is being written to (the cache) while browsing things will slow to a crawl due to poor NAND controllers. Also when downloading in the background or even just having an app open could cause force close messages.

Its the sequential write speeds that suffer so only a small number of things at a time can write to the internal storage.
    Forum Member
    Microsoft has also done a terrible job at marketing the Surface. The adverts are awful.

Only ones I have seen were some on TV and I thought they were quite good at making you notice them and seeing in use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only ones I have seen were some on TV and I thought they were quite good at making you notice them and seeing in use.

I thought they were terrible and had little to do with the product. What features did you notice about the product in the advert?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I really don't get this.

I said that smaller screens aren't as good as larger screens for many things.

Saying you use smaller screens for some of those things doesn't change that fact.

And on the subject of answering straight questions, do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Smaller screens aren't as good as larger screens for many things."

Although you might be busy picking up all those toys you've just thrown out of your pram. :p

You say larger is better but imagine having a 42" tablet? Hardly convenient is it? There is a limit/personal oppinion as to how big and how small a device should be.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, MS has always been the big name in presentations and word processing and spreadsheets and they push it with their Surface tablets.

The Pocket stuff was a token effort from Microsoft. Necessity is the mother of all invention as they say.
    Interestingly Gnumeric and Abiword are part of that Ubuntu NoRoot package on Google Play.
    Forum Member
    I thought they were terrible and had little to do with the product. What features did you notice about the product in the advert?

It was a while ago since seeing the advert now but probably the snap on keyboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a while ago since seeing the advert now but probably the snap on keyboard.

Exactly. Other than the keyboard little to no features were shown. Not to mention the embarrassing dancing.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say larger is better but imagine having a 42" tablet? Hardly convenient is it? There is a limit/personal oppinion as to how big and how small a device should be.

I didn't say larger was better.

How you got from that to the idea that (I'd suggested that) 42" tablets would be in any way useful or practical is utterly insane.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I didn't say larger was better.

How you got from that to the idea that (I'd suggested that) 42" tablets would be in any way useful or practical is utterly insane.

Define larger is better then?

What is your ideal tablet size?

Bigger isn't always more practical. It becomes less practical when the device starts to get too big for it's desired use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    lol Aggressive now?

I had said soon tablets will be able to do things a laptop can do. MS seem to be kickstarting this. You disagreed citing your opinion that they have an apparent inherent fault being small screens. I disagreed saying I use a 10" laptop/notebook to do PP things, WP etc which you ignored several times.

I'm making no big deal about it, only answering back at you and disagreeing they have an inherent problem. It's a problem to you, not everyone which you don't seem to be accepting.

I didn't say that tablets won't get better, or be able to do more things.

I just said that a lot of things are better suited to a larger screen. As tablets are never going to have screens the same size of desktops or even laptops, then that will always be a downside to tablets.

I'm not ignoring you when you say you've done things on a smaller screen. That you can do them is irrelevant, because I have never said that you couldn't do them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Define larger is better then?

What is your ideal tablet size?

Bigger isn't always more practical. It becomes less practical when the device starts to get too big for it's desired use.

I know bigger isn't always more practical. I never said it was.

What I said originally (and God only knows why it's proving such an issue) was this:

Desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones all have different pros and cons. The things that one is better for, will often be the thing that the others are less good for.

To spell it out, for example a desktop with a 30" display is better for watching movies or serious design work. But less good for playing Words with Friends on the sofa.

Let me know if you're disagreeing with any of that.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. If the internal storage is being written to (the cache) while browsing things will slow to a crawl due to poor NAND controllers. Also when downloading in the background or even just having an app open could cause force close messages.

If the software was written properly then it would be write thru anyway causing no impact to performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the software was written properly then it would be write thru anyway causing no impact to performance.

Some custom ROMs do improve the issue. However it's still there at the end of the day as it's hardware related.

The NAND chip in use also lacks any DRAM caching ability which doesn't help. The eMMC controllers aren't very fast either. The Asus Nexus 7 also suffers from the same issue but to a lesser extent. The NAND in use isn't really suitable for a fully-fledged OS.

I now avoid Asus tablets because of this issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I now avoid Asus tablets because of this issue.

So what actually fell flat on you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    So what actually fell flat on you?

Them generally not caring and shipping a tablet that's poor quality and not repaired. Also, constant lockups are a nightmare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just lost sight of the NAND.

:)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dunno, I quite fancied having one of those microsoft coffee tables :D

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/pixelsense/default.aspx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I dunno, I quite fancied having one of those microsoft coffee tables :D

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/pixelsense/default.aspx

While you can't complain to Microsoft for trying I doubt one of these would've been a commercial success anyway (at least not yet).

What OS does it run? Is it some variation of Windows?