Options

Leona Lewis' new single sells less than 600 copies in its first week

Comments

• Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    How does a track become a single then? Do they just nominate a song somewhow? I know nothing about this. Obviously. :)

By single do you mean a physical CD:confused:

I can only buy them at HMV and our local store closed down :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    By single do you mean a physical CD(

No. :confused:
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think JLS will be next.

I've said before, if she can't make it then no-one can.

JLS will be next? After their own tv show yesterday? The answer to your statement is actually yes they can and some indeed are.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    By single do you mean a physical CD:confused:

I can only buy them at HMV and our local store closed down :(

Amazon sell physical CD singles.
  • Options
    soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    Amazon sell physical CD singles.
    Not many singles are now released as physicals.
    Apart from a few continually high profile artists, most established stars don't exploit the singles market-frankly it's a waste of time.
    Even Robbie couldn't manage Top 50 with his second single-it's really all about album sales now for most of them.
    Just a shame Leona didn't sell many albums instead :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JLS will be next? After their own tv show yesterday? The answer to your statement is actually yes they can and some indeed are.

Only time can answer that, really. I don't think any are at the moment. JLS and One Direction are too new (2008 and 2010 alumni).
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Dinosaurus wrote: »
    It wasn't available as a single! I would have bought it otherwise, but you could only buy it as an album track, which i and most of her fan base already own!

If you mean the 'single version' was identical to the 'album version' then I can immediately understand why existing fans didn't help it chart, because they would only be duplicating a purchase of a sound recording featured on an album released earlier.

This is a problem of the age of the download I guess. With cd-singles CD1 might have a single (radio edit), an album version, and two other exclusive tracks. CD2 would encourage further sales with remixes, helping keep the single in the charts for longer, or making it climb a few places.

With downloads people can be very selective in what they're buying, so unless exclusive tracks are packaged with the same-as-album single they may not buy the 'single' at all, and the accompanying tracks won't help it chart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    If you mean the 'single version' was identical to the 'album version' then I can immediately understand why existing fans didn't help it chart, because they would only be duplicating a purchase of a sound recording featured on an album released earlier.

This is a problem of the age of the download I guess. With cd-singles CD1 might have a single (radio edit), an album version, and two other exclusive tracks. CD2 would encourage further sales with remixes, helping keep the single in the charts for longer, or making it climb a few places.

With downloads people can be very selective in what they're buying, so unless exclusive tracks are packaged with the same-as-album single they may not buy the 'single' at all, and the accompanying tracks won't help it chart.

That's interesting. So it can only chart high if people buy the track without buying the album. Or have bought the album but buy the track twice in order to support it in the singles charts? They should have thought about that before. Looks like it was doomed to fail.

What are the sales of the album like?
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    That's interesting. So it can only chart high if people buy the track without buying the album. Or have bought the album but buy the track twice in order to support it in the singles charts? They should have thought about that before. Looks like it was doomed to fail.

What are the sales of the album like?

The album had sold 27,000 by October. Not sure how many more copies since.

If they won't release a single version, maybe with something different in the mix, or a full remix, then there's no real incentive to download. With a cd-single I guess the completist would still buy it, for the artwork and sense of ownership if not for the extra tracks, but there's no point in owning two identical compressed digital files.
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member

The reason these songs aren't hits is simple. They either aren't very good or their fans have moved on. It's as straight foward as that.

Th song isn't bad at all, infact I'd argue it's one of their best singles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8wR3KYAya4

To think the awful 'The Club Is Alive' went to #1 and this song flopped.

The EP was made available so it was a single....but there is no music video for it.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    The album had sold 27,000 by October. Not sure how many more copies since.

If they won't release a single version, maybe with something different in the mix, or a full remix, then there's no real incentive to download. With a cd-single I guess the completist would still buy it, for the artwork and sense of ownership if not for the extra tracks, but there's no point in owning two identical compressed digital files.

I think Glassheart has sold around 70,000 now.

She probably would have sold alot more albums if they didn't release until November, as she would likely still be on the supermarket chart shelves and people would be picking it up as a Christmas gift, unfortunately it fell off the charts a couple weeks ago.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Leona declines Simon's invitation to spend Christmas with him (and his many beards) in Barbados.

I'm not sure this is the smartest business decision she will ever make but then some things are more important than business I suppose.

What's wrong with spending Christmas with loved ones/her family? Good for her :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I didn't know it was out, maybe it's just been forgotten in all the 'hype' around other albums/singles?
  • Options
    DinosaurusDinosaurus Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    How does a track become a single then? Do they just nominate a song somewhow? I know nothing about this. Obviously. :)

I'm just as confused! Maybe I'm wrong, but on the release date which I'm guessing was the 10th (nobody officially confirmed it) the only Lovebird available to download was the album version of which I already had!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dinosaurus wrote: »
    I'm just as confused! Maybe I'm wrong, but on the release date which I'm guessing was the 10th (nobody officially confirmed it) the only Lovebird available to download was the album version of which I already had!?

Glad I'm not on my own. :)

Is this a clue why it may have 'flopped'. What's the incentive to download a track when you already have it.
  • Options
    outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member

Is this a clue why it may have 'flopped'. What's the incentive to download a track when you already have it.
    Quite a few singles do chart of an album version only ..but they have to have major and repetitive airplay to appeal to the the more casual buyer ..airplay is key unfortunately and thats a decision that is taken out of an artists hands
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't stop Adele world domination of album and single sales last year.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsOrin wrote: »
    Didn't stop Adele world domination of album and single sales last year.

Adele had so much promotion. Brits, Grammy etc. The airplay Adele got too, was massive. Leona has had just about 0 promo, and 0 airplay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele had so much promotion. Brits, Grammy etc. The airplay Adele got too, was massive. Leona has had just about 0 promo, and 0 airplay.

Adele's team were smart with her too.

She didn't promote loads on TV, only at the big events. So it was more of an event when she performed. It clearly worked.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Postbox wrote: »
    Adele's team were smart with her too.

She didn't promote loads on TV, only at the big events. So it was more of an event when she performed. It clearly worked.

Adele had a great album to promote....Leona doesn't.
  • Options
    kandinskikandinski Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think her voice has deteriated as well to be honest.The way she effortlessly went between ranges has long gone.She either mumbles in that tuneless lower register or shouts the odd higher note.

I think she is one of thoese singers who rarely sings when not recording/promoting.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    She's a one trick pony. Once you've heard her wailing in one song, you've heard them all.
  • Options
    violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring singer. Charged too much for her concerts and ripped off the fans who put her there in the first place.
  • Options
    violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a one trick pony. Once you've heard her wailing in one song, you've heard them all.

Agree.

The personality of a chocolate mouse.
  • Options
    SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Glassheart for Christmas and I actually think it's a really great album; Lovebird in particular is an incredible song. The promotion has just been so, so appalling. :(