Ripper Street

Comments

• seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Should I assume that most of you are guys since this show has a really high male viewer skew- I'm assuming most of you don't watch the dreadful selfridge (which did start off well).

I'm a woman, but I watch it with my husband and eldest daughter. We did watch the first episode of Mr Selfridge, but haven't bothered with it since.
    Forum Member
    The only time I've watched Ripper Street through my fingers (*blush) was last night when Hobbs was killed off,

Don't blush - I got upset at that part too. He was such a lovely young man.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think one of the better costume drama/mysteries has been Foyles War. Why ITV axed it early I'll never know.

Did you know a new series of that is being made, set in the post-war era??

As for costume drama/murder mysteries Alibi (Sky 132) shows two such programmes on Monday night

9pm Murdoch Mysteries set in 1900s Toronto

10pm Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries set in 1920s Melbourne
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it would have gone along the lines of Goodnight missing and the Doc walking up to him and firing his gun into the air, and saying "take him boys, make sure he's not harmed".;)
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i am also female and enjoy Ripper Street - i tried the first episode of Selfridges but it was terrible....the ratings may have dropped since the wonders of life is on at the same time and i tend to watch that live because the photography is fab on HD, and catch up on Ripper Street afterwards
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just read elsewhere on DS that Mr Selfridge pulled in more viewers than Ripper Street for the first time last night. A lot more (5.72m vs 4.72m). I thought that was surprising, considering I've never heard a good word said about Mr Selfridge. Perhaps a lot of viewers thought the first series of Ripper Street had come to an abrupt end when it took a break for the Daftas or whatever they were, but I'm not sure even that would explain such a big change.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "When we find the person who done this, we may kill them sir?"

YES.

Please.
    I was hoping this was the way that American Pinkerton guy would get punished.
    It getting a bit high noon...
    The duelling part was a bit meh for me, can't believe that even back then that the everyone in the street would have then carried on like normal after something like that. Other than that, it was still a great episode; the first thirty minutes had so much going on and got me so keen to find out how the second half was going to turn out. And next week looks to be interested too, can't wait for that. ;)

And I'm female too. :)
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Young female viewer here - love Ripper Street.

Viewing could be down this week simply because people didn't realise it skipped a week because of whatever boring ceremony thing they were doing. I only knew because someone mentioned it on here. BBC and others channels are really terrible at letting viewers know if a show is skipping a week, or taking a break and when it will be back on. I've missed a lot of shows because of it.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just read elsewhere on DS that Mr Selfridge pulled in more viewers than Ripper Street for the first time last night. A lot more (5.72m vs 4.72m). I thought that was surprising, considering I've never heard a good word said about Mr Selfridge. Perhaps a lot of viewers thought the first series of Ripper Street had come to an abrupt end when it took a break for the Daftas or whatever they were, but I'm not sure even that would explain such a big change.
    That is surprising. I wondered how the ratings match up between the two for the other weeks they've both been on. I don't think it's the series itself, I can only guess that it may be down to some viewers not being aware of the break (I wasn't until I read it on here) and thought it was the end of the series instead?? :confused:
  • andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    i'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone- I've just read that ripper street has a really high male viewer skew (i believe its 52m/48f) whilst selfridge has (68f/32m). As I wrote on another thread- I've watched both dramas and have found selfridge utterly boring (but I do enjoy downton)- last nights was the worst (with the awful acting, seance storyline) - truly horrible television but I guess its more family friendly. My personal opinion is that ripper street is a more intelligent, gritty drama whereas selfridge doesn't require a brain cell (okay that may have offended).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a 60 year old woman and I love Ripper Street. There was some discussion about this early on in the thread as I recall - I'm not the only old biddy who's a RS fan! :D

The Selfridge thing didn't appeal to me at all. Not enough murder in it. ;)

Think this was discussed before..not just for males .. another female OAP here (66 on sat). Tried Selfridge and lasted just the one recording and decided not to bother. To be be fair my favourite books are ( in particular historical ) detectives novels so this would have to have tried really hard to miss my mark. Mind you I can't watch ears being carved off.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone- I've just read that ripper street has a really high male viewer skew (i believe its 52m/48f) whilst selfridge has (68f/32m). As I wrote on another thread- I've watched both dramas and have found selfridge utterly boring (but I do enjoy downton)- last nights was the worst (with the awful acting, seance storyline) - truly horrible television but I guess its more family friendly. My personal opinion is that ripper street is a more intelligent, gritty drama whereas selfridge doesn't require a brain cell (okay that may have offended).

I don't think anyone is offended by your question about gender (I certainly wasn't). :)

I can't really judge Selfridge, as the idea of a show about shopping leaves me cold, but I like RS for it's interesting plots, great characters and rather sexy male actors.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is offended by your question about gender (I certainly wasn't). :)

I can't really judge Selfridge, as the idea of a show about shopping leaves me cold, but I like RS for it's interesting plots, great characters and rather sexy male actors.

Nope, no offense taken here either. I wouldn't be surprised though that RS has more male viewing figures due to the grittiness and violent subject matter etc. I've been really impressed by the acting from the male leads and the production values overall are just really impressive. Mr Selfridge just seems quite dull and sanitised in comparison.

Plus, yes, it can't be denied, there are some good looking men on the show;)
  • Friday's childFriday's child Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I'm female, in my fifties and love both Ripper Street and Call the Midwife (cried at both last night), but I wouldn't take Mr Selfridge or Downton as a gift - I think I lasted about twenty minutes of each before switching off.

I'm glad Ripper Street has been recommissioned, but I hope it doesn't mean we're left on a cliff next week, I want resolution to the story of Reid's daughter.
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    im a female viewer i love both ripper street and mr selfridge, i watch ripper street first then mr selfridge on itv+1 , but i have to admit i preferred the paradise to mr selfridge
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Nice to see one of my favourite minor characters from The Sopranos, the junkie translator, playing Mr Goodnight.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Most new dramas so far have lost viewers (even mr selfridge has lost around 1.3 viewers). I'm glad that ripper street is coming back- I've been watching it and have just noticed that this thread features heavily in the DS forums. Do many DS users like ripper street- just a curiosity. Should I assume that most of you are guys since this show has a really high male viewer skew- I'm assuming most of you don't watch the dreadful selfridge (which did start off well).

I'm a 66 years young-at-heart :D female and love Ripper Street!
    I didn't fancy Mr Selfridge for some reason yet I really enjoyed The Paradise.
    No offence here either.
    Forum Member
    Lizaj wrote: »
    Think this was discussed before..not just for males .. another female OAP here (66 on sat). Tried Selfridge and lasted just the one recording and decided not to bother. To be be fair my favourite books are ( in particular historical ) detectives novels so this would have to have tried really hard to miss my mark. Mind you I can't watch ears being carved off.

Ooh I'm with you on the ears thing as in Reservoir Dogs :eek:
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Did you know a new series of that is being made, set in the post-war era??

As for costume drama/murder mysteries Alibi (Sky 132) shows two such programmes on Monday night

9pm Murdoch Mysteries set in 1900s Toronto

10pm Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries set in 1920s Melbourne

Almost makes me want to subscribe to Sky :D
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

oh no i wasn't offended it's always interesting to see who makes up the demographic
    Forum Member

Nice to see there are so many women posting on here who are obviously intelligent in your opinion, myself included :D;)
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't offended by the gender question either. A bit surprised, maybe. Perhaps The Powers That Be were thinking of the female viewer count when they chucked the Reids/Orphanage woman 'love triangle' thing into the plot, but I wouldn't have missed it if it wasn't there and hope it doesn't become too central to the story.

I wonder how long it will be before Mrs Reid notices the loaded looks that pass between her husband and Orphanage Woman when they meet? With any luck, she'll be on the ball enough to nip it in the bud quite quickly and we can get back to gruesome murders and seedy crime without having to spend too much time watching Reid eating Orphanage Woman's face off :)
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Im female and I love both Ripper Street and Mr Selfridge...they are so different they dont compare
    Forum Member
    I wasn't offended by the gender question either. A bit surprised, maybe. Perhaps The Powers That Be were thinking of the female viewer count when they chucked the Reids/Orphanage woman 'love triangle' thing into the plot, but I wouldn't have missed it if it wasn't there and hope it doesn't become too central to the story.

I wonder how long it will be before Mrs Reid notices the loaded looks that pass between her husband and Orphanage Woman when they meet? With any luck, she'll be on the ball enough to nip it in the bud quite quickly and we can get back to gruesome murders and seedy crime without having to spend too much time watching Reid eating Orphanage Woman's face off :)

Love your Forum name. Another good one would be Norma Sarse :D
    Forum Member
    i'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone-

There was nothing offensive about what you said :confused:

I think what put me off Mr Selfridge was the guy playing him. The actual real story of him sounds interesting but it was badly done on tv I thought. I did like The Paradise though, and love Downton.