AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone watching this? I am just sitting here mouth open..lol

Comments

• riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm watching and have to say I am finding these ladies really fascinating! But that lady with the fringe at the top of her head has left me wondering WTF! :D
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I'm watching too. What made me sit up was the woman who married the 25 year old.
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm watching and have to say I am finding these ladies really fascinating! But that lady with the fringe at the top of her head has left me wondering WTF! :D

I will admit I actually wondered if she was female when she first came on. I thought she was an elderly gentleman dressing as an woman, but then it dawned on me she was a very eccentric elderly woman.

You've got to give it to them.

OMG I've just seen Daphne from the programme on the TK Maxx advert just on :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    I'm watching too. What made me sit up was the woman who married the 25 year old.

Her husband actually looks older than her I think.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    Her husband actually looks older than her I think.

Haha, I thought that too, or he looks as old as her anyway! :D

But you have to admit she is in great shape for 87. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG so jealous - these women are just so beautiful....grrr
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, I thought that too, or he looks as old as her anyway! :D

But you have to admit she is in great shape for 87. :cool:

I hope that when I am her age, if I haven't popped off this mortal coil, that I am as flexible as her :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that when I am her age, if I haven't popped off this mortal coil, that I am as flexible as her :D

Baroness T is a star
    Forum Member
    Apart from the Baroness, they do all seem quite bendy.
    Forum Member
    Her husband died 10 days after being diagnosed with leukaemia, jeez.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Is anyone watching this? I am just sitting here mouth open..lol

I refused to watch it Andagha because I knew that it would be about bone structure and the perfect example for me is the Vanessa Redgrave family. She, her daughters, her grandchildren are so beautiful.

I'm potatoe face smoking and drinking-:D
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A wonderful programme!
  • DaughterqueenDaughterqueen Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    The best programme for ages. Make this a series!!
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admire all the ladies and loved them all.
    However, the Baroness and Gillian Lynne excepted I can't help but feel their OTT way of presenting themselves is just a desperate cry for help -please notice me, I am not invisible. :(
    I just find it sad that, after decades of life, there is such an overwhelming interest in such frivolous matters such as what they are wearing and the image they are presenting to others. Are these women genuine eccentrics or are they just desperately fighting the tide of that sinking feeling of invisibility.?.:confused:

Is that fulfillment? Not really, I fear. These strong ladies should get out there and do something mind-expanding with their obvious intelligence if they really want to prove their worth. Dressing up like a Christmas Fairy and painting your face is not really the way to go imo..Although they clearly have fun with it I don't feel it's really the way to go to bust the age prejudice of society. It's just feeding the myth that we need to be 'looked at' to give us any sense of self-worth.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Absolutely adored, Daphne Selfe, Lady Trumpington and Gillian Lynne.

The others were admirable, but to me were trying too hard to be eccentric for the sake of it, but if it makes them happy who am I to judge.

Great programme though and a refreshing change not to be focused on the 'yoof'.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,150
    Forum Member
    I thought they were all great and I do believe that the eccentric ones are just that - not doing it to say 'l am not invisible'. As for the lady who was the artist, well how would you expect her to dress? Lots of artists dress in ways that speak of their art and individuality.

I am a spring chicken compared to them but at 67 I do keep fit, line dancing, tap dancing and ballroom dancing. The tap dance teacher has just turned 70, she's been a dancer all her life and was a Tiller Girl; those of a certain age will know who they were. The keep fit teacher is 70 or early 70s and has been teaching keep fit for about 40 years; neither of them show any signs of giving up teaching any time soon. One of the ladies who goes to both classes is over 70 but looks much younger. At the line dance class I go to there are at least 3 couples who are in their 70's. One of the hubbys is 75 but looks 10 years younger and shows no signs of stiffness. One of the wives is at least 73 and is very sprightly and an absolute marvel at remembering all the dances, some of which are quite complex. There are also a few ladies in their 80's who go. Where I go ballroom dancing I sometimes dance with a guy who is 83 and very sprightly; he's very active always keeps busy and goes walking (he's a bee keeper).

I think it's vitally important to keep active but be warned walking is not necessarily sufficient. When you think about it the hips and shoulders are ball and socket joints so have the greatest range of movement. When you walk you're not using those joints fully, indeed you don't really use your arms unless maybe you swing them if you walk very briskly. That's why I do keep fit. My sister will be 76 next month and goes swimming every day - she's always swum a lot but having been diagnosed with arthritis in her back she now goes every day to get moving.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    I refused to watch it Andagha because I knew that it would be about bone structure and the perfect example for me is the Vanessa Redgrave family. She, her daughters, her grandchildren are so beautiful.

I'm potatoe face smoking and drinking-:D

You should have watched it because it's not all about bone structure - it's about vitality and enthusiasm and determination to make the best of whatever life throws at you. Live. Laugh. Love.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady T was fantastic and enjoying her catalogues.
    That fringe though on the other one
    ?
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this now on catch-up - I think they're all fabulous. Don't really get the "issues" with the fringe - it's just a fashionable haircut, and totally suits her bone structure. I think she looks incredible and really carries it off. Good for her.

And I honestly can't get over the dancer lady. Gobsmacked she's 87.

All just goes to show though - exercise and having a zest for life is the way forward...