Options

Why are rides at UK theme parks so poor in comparison with those abroad

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been watching a lot of coaster POV videos on YouTube lately and what really stands out is how poor our coasters and rides in general are compared with rides at other parks around the world, especially those at the Six Flags parks in the US, who's rides are phenomenal. It's not just the US, the coasters at parks across Europe and Asia seem to piss on ours!

It's like we've fallen behind the rest of the world a bit. I keep thinking about Nemeis at Alton Towers and how innovative it was when it first opened, the queues for it were about four hours long! At around the same time the Big One opened in Blackpool and so did Shockwave at Drayton Manor. I've never been to Thorpe Park but most of their rides look like shitty versions of the ones at Six Flags. Why are our parks not keeping up with the rest of the world? I appreciate Alton Towers is restricted by it s silly planning rules, by why isn't Blackpool trying anymore? Have they given up?

I think there is a market for a real big American style theme park here in the UK. I wish Six Flags would open a park here!:(

Comments

• Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    There probably just isn't the space. Massive space available in the USA...no one wants thousands of screaming people near their house over here either....take all the trouble Alton Towers has with it's neighbours!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's just so little innovation at the UK parks, The Smiler at Alton a Towers is a great ride but it's not very imaginative. They badly needed a new coaster with inversions but it could have been a launch coaster, or a floorless (there isn't one in the UK) or even a new woodie. There are some fabulous modern woodies in other parts of the world, some with inversions. I know Oakwood in South Wales have one but it's quite lame compared to the ones abroad.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just the coasters - the theme parks themselves are also generally poor. Not much atmosphere, rubbish and dirt, half-hearted shows and miserable staff from the local college. Some benefit from beautiful old estates and gardens, e.g. Alton Towers, but even that park is not as well-kept as the parks in Europe and the USA.

I think Universal Studios is building a park here though, so hopefully that will improve standards in general.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you mean the Paramount one coming to my neck of the woods?

£2 billion theme park in UK to rival Disneyland Paris
    The 872 acre development will transform part of the Swanscombe Peninsula close to the international railway station of Ebbsfleet International.

Due to be opened in 2018, the site will have a theme park, indoor water park, theatres, live music venues, cinemas, restaurants and hotels.

That would possibly put a big nail in the coffin for plans to revive Dreamland in Margate.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that must be what I was thinking of - not sure where I got Universal Studios from!
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrected your title error
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Did you mean the Paramount one coming to my neck of the woods?

£2 billion theme park in UK to rival Disneyland Paris

That would possibly put a big nail in the coffin for plans to revive Dreamland in Margate.

Shame the Paramount Park in Murcia is yet to get the finance it needs, supposed to open in 2015 after been proposed in 2010, so far it looks like they have bulldozed a couple of piles of Earth.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know how true it is, but I've found generally that alot of the new rides in the UK are prototypes, "world firsts" for a small amount of time - that then evolve into bigger, meatier rides around the globe.

The Big One @ Blackpool - was the World's Tallest and steepest.

Oblivion @ Alton Towers - was the worlds first Vertical Drop coaster.

Thirteen @ Alton Towers - worlds first vertical freefall drop roller coaster.

Valhalla @ Blackpool - longest indoor dark ride in the world.

The Ultimate @ Lightwater Valley - was the longest rollercoaster in the world.

Air @ Alton Towers - was the worlds first "flying" rollercoaster.

There's many more...
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There's just so little innovation at the UK parks, The Smiler at Alton a Towers is a great ride but it's not very imaginative. They badly needed a new coaster with inversions but it could have been a launch coaster, or a floorless (there isn't one in the UK) or even a new woodie. There are some fabulous modern woodies in other parts of the world, some with inversions. I know Oakwood in South Wales have one but it's quite lame compared to the ones abroad.
    What's a floorless one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    What's a floorless one?

The carriages don't have a floor basically, it's just a row of seats and your feet are dangling directly above the track. They are made and I think patented by B&M who designed Nemesis, Oblivion and Air at Alton Towers.

That paramount park sounds very interesting. I hope it comes to pass, although I think there is a certain charm to the old seaside fairgrounds and hope it wouldn't put one of those out of business.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simples... Space and weather.

We don't have blazing sunshine all year round (and when we do it's a miracle), it's wet (so upkeep on the big rides would be a nightmare) and it's snows. You try being cheerful for 10 hours a day on minimum wage in the rain/ wind/ sleet day over day with people moaning about queues and see how long you last. Not long I bet.

We don't have any space to build huge theme parks like the US (as another poster said, no one wants to hear screaming people til 10pm at night, every night), hell, we don't have enough space to build houses!

I live in an area where there is a themepark and the traffic build up is a nightmare! (and on a clear night you can hear people and I live a fair way away!)

The UK is not like Florida that gets huge amounts of tourists from all over the world every year going for the nice weather, beaches, everglades and themeparks so it might be there isn't much money to be made here.

People only going the Disneyland Paris because its Disneyland. Went there and it was horrible.... :(
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The building issue is a good one.

Alton Towers are not allowed to build rides above the treeline. That somewhat does stiffle the creativity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The carriages don't have a floor basically, it's just a row of seats and your feet are dangling directly above the track. They are made and I think patented by B&M who designed Nemesis, Oblivion and Air at Alton Towers.

That paramount park sounds very interesting. I hope it comes to pass, although I think there is a certain charm to the old seaside fairgrounds and hope it wouldn't put one of those out of business.
    Would Swarm not qualify? or does the track have to be underneath?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Do they still have the Corkscrew at Alton Towers? Used to love that ride....
    They had one at Flamingoland that was exactly the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Apparently Smiler has the most loops in the world.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's because *whoaoo* of *aaaah!* all *whooosh* the *ohhhh* health and *bleuurrgh.*..
    I'm so sorry. Let me wipe that off you. What was that you were saying?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite what governments try to tell you, (eg nhs, bbc) we are behind other countries in most things.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd guess it's to do with the same company controlling the two largest theme parks and two of the major smaller ones. There's very little competition, and they're in debt up to their eyeballs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Would Swarm not qualify? or does the track have to be underneath?

No Swarm is a winged coaster, something different altogether. A floorless is just a traditional steel coaster, but without a floor. So yes, the track would be underneath.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »

No, the Corkscrew was removed in 2008 to make way for Thirteen. It was quite painful to ride as I remember, and the loops would shake as you went over them.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the Corkscrew was removed in 2008 to make way for Thirteen. It was quite painful to ride as I remember, and the loops would shake as you went over them.

Corkscrew gave me the worst toothache I've ever had.

I like the rides at Thorpe Park however the atmosphere of the park is awful and it's only worth going when you have a 2-for-1 voucher as the price is extortionate. It's also better to go when the weather isn't great so that the queues are shorter, otherwise you have to queue for hours and not get on all the rides or pay ridiculous prices for fast-passes.

Thorpe Park's rides are no comparison to the ones at the various parks in Florida though.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    The building issue is a good one.

Alton Towers are not allowed to build rides above the treeline. That somewhat does stiffle the creativity.

Can't they just plant a load of Redwoods and be done with it?
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valhalla is one of the worst rides ive ever been on. Its just odd. To me they seemed to have an idea and ran out of money before being able to achieve it.
    Saw in thorpe park is the best coaster i have ever been on
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valhalla is one of the worst rides ive ever been on. Its just odd. To me they seemed to have an idea and ran out of money before being able to achieve it.
    Saw in thorpe park is the best coaster i have ever been on

I got drenched on Valhalla. So much so that my contact lenses were washed away.

I was on The Big One at Blackpool when it had that crash. I was in the carriage that crashed into the one in front that gave everyone whiplash. My leg was black with bruising. Never went for the compo though.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been to Alton Towers at the weekend, seriously Nemesis is such a brilliant roller coaster which makes use of the space brilliantly. It's a relentless ride with full on action all the way. It's still stands up to today's standards. Didn't go on the new ride Smiler as was with the wife and young daughter, who didn't want to wait for me for hours, but it looked amazing. Also went on Rita which i sneaked on near closing time (no Queue). It was brilliant too. The acceleration on that thing and the amount of G-force when you hit the first bend was incredible (just under 5G apparently).
    The rides in America may be bigger but are nowhere near as innovative.