The Warm and Tranquil Room! (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I join the warm and tranquil brigade? I have always (since series 5) enjoyed the debate and gossip on the DS board but it seems unduly fractious for so early in the series this year!:eek:

There are not many of us left on W&T these days, everyone has been put noff by the atmosphere on the board, It has developed into quite a nasty place to be.

I might be forced off by losing my eyesight but I am hopeful for a good result from the surgery in two weeks time.

You are welocme to post one here, we never argue on here and would ignore anyone who comes on to be nasty so it is pretty safe.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Washing machine delivered and installed. On time and installed and checked in a few minutes. Very impressive.

Hope this new professional is s good as her profile suggests.
    Perhaps she will replace Aliona permanently;)
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hullo in here... :)

I hope you don't feel I was making things unpleasant on the Anton thread. I meant to do the opposite... The show is still quite new for me so it's interesting to hear people talk about what they're interested in. A few of the dancers seem to have developed bad reputations on the forum and yet -- when I watch -- there's not always a clear reason why. It's got to be better to keep an open mind.

I hope you guys don't feel too harrassed by the atmosphere on the forum. Sometimes it can take your breath away a bit but still there are lots of lovely folk who post, and then there's the news and the gossip too. The forum would be dull if we all thought the same or if any felt they had to stop posting.

I hope your eye surgery is uncomplicated and successful elizabethjo
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    There are not many of us left on W&T these days, everyone has been put noff by the atmosphere on the board, It has developed into quite a nasty place to be.

I might be forced off by losing my eyesight but I am hopeful for a good result from the surgery in two weeks time.

You are welocme to post one here, we never argue on here and would ignore anyone who comes on to be nasty so it is pretty safe.:D

Hope your eye surgery is successful. I'm sure it's nerve-wracking waiting (one of my colleagues is waiting for cataract removal at the moment) but good prospects of success these days. I hope you and other 'long-timers' won't be forced off by the spirit of combat abroad!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »

I hope you don't feel I was making things unpleasant on the Anton thread. I meant to do the opposite... The show is still quite new for me so it's interesting to hear people talk about what they're interested in. A few of the dancers seem to have developed bad reputations on the forum and yet -- when I watch -- there's not always a clear reason why. It's got to be better to keep an open mind.

I hope you guys don't feel too harrassed by the atmosphere on the forum. Sometimes it can take your breath away a bit but still there are lots of lovely folk who post, and then there's the news and the gossip too. The forum would be dull if we all thought the same or if any felt they had to stop posting.

I fail to see the need to be so nasty about any of the professional dancers or the celebs for that matter.
    The pro dancers are doing what you are probably doing on a daily basis ie earning a living.
    The show hasnt even started yet.
    Anton is not a villain. .On one occasion he made an unwise remark which was magnified out of all proportion by the press. His partner Laila was not upset by it and it was said to her, so why should the mob who post on here?
    I met Anton way back in 2005 and in 2006 he and Erin and Ian and Camilla came to appear at a ball I had been involved organising for Mcmillan.. The event raised 37K for the charity and the dancers made the evening with their willingness to do everything they were asked to do and a lot of things over and above that.
    I did literally bump into Anton at the Royal Albert Hall last year at the International Dance Final and even 5 years on he remembered who I was and was charming and friendly.

I dont ever vote for any couple and I am not a particular fan of any of them
    .I have been a member of DS longer than most of the people on here so if I wanted to stay on here I would in spite of the venom. This thread was started in the early days by Startwirler ( even if it appears otherwise due to the mods cutting it because of the length of it) its purpose being a place for like minded people to post without any nastiness, and nastiness will not be tolerated. We cant stop anyone posting on here but we will use the means at our disposal or report anything unsuitable to the mods immediately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope your eye surgery is successful. I'm sure it's nerve-wracking waiting (one of my colleagues is waiting for cataract removal at the moment) but good prospects of success these days. I hope you and other 'long-timers' won't be forced off by the spirit of combat abroad!

Thankyou and pet Monkey for the good wishes. It is a bit more complicated than cataract removal I am afraid. We all have our fingers crossed it will go ok.
    I am in the middle of learning new routines for my Gold Bar dance medal. What will happen if the op doesnt go well remains to be seen :D;)
    My dance teacher is willing to carry on even if it goes wrong. We have run out of time for me to really learn the steps properly as unlike the celebs I only have one lesson a week.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,614
    Forum Member
    Pet Monkey wrote: »

I thought you came across as quite neutral, petmonkey, sometimes a difficult thing to achieve on here. :p
    But I agree that those who enjoy posting on here should continue to do so and not feel intimidated by those with strong viewpoints that may not reflect your own. I can be as argumentative as the next person - my old mum used to say that I could argue a hind leg off a donkey (what a weird saying :confused: ) I do like to try to get my point across, but I do wonder if some of the posters are simply WUMs. I do find their complaints about Anton quite unreasonable.
  • tracynoetracynoe Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I just found this thread! People who just like strictly and want to enjoy it and chat with others without being horrible. How refreshing :)
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Force Ten wrote: »
    Turned up at the hospital yesterday all ready to take bro home only to find he was worse (mentally) although the shingles seems to be responding to the anti-viral medication. Anyway, they are transferring him to a psychiatric hospital this morning and I'm not allowed to visit - in fact he's not allowed any visitors at all for the time being. Hope they manage to sort him out or goodness knows what happens next!:eek:

HRH is not speaking to me at the moment as I took her to the vet this morning for a flea treatment. She's hiding somewhere!! About to start vacuuming and spraying the carpets so she'll be even more cross with me lol. I try and explain it's for her own good but she won't listen (might be because she's deaf :D).

Not long to go now until the first show. Most of the couples sound as if they're getting on okay unlike last year. I think we might see some good dances this year.

I hope you get to visit your brother soon and get to take him home, it might be worth checking that he is drinking enough fluid each day, I have been told that even simple dehydration can cause some mental confusion.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good luck for your eye surgery, I hope everything goes well for you, the eye surgeons seem very skilled in what they do today and their success rates are extremely high.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    I thought you came across as quite neutral, petmonkey, sometimes a difficult thing to achieve on here. :p
    But I agree that those who enjoy posting on here should continue to do so and not feel intimidated by those with strong viewpoints that may not reflect your own. I can be as argumentative as the next person - my old mum used to say that I could argue a hind leg off a donkey (what a weird saying :confused: ) I do like to try to get my point across, but I do wonder if some of the posters are simply WUMs. I do find their complaints about Anton quite unreasonable.

And I wouldn't want to lose the argumentative lifeon the forum either! (Poor donkeys notwithstanding :p) It's when it becomes over personal that things go wrong. Eg someone can say Pasha's new hair is monstrous, and, though I adore most other things about him, I'm glad to say I do not mind their opinion in the slightest little bit. But last year I know I did start to feel a little over-involved when people would repeatedly criticise Chelsee for being thick or northern or orange or whatever. I guess the many Anton threads put people who like him in that second response.

It's up to the rest of us to know when we're going too far. We can all have our opinion but we're not daft -- most peoople can tell when it's going to hurt -- and that's where we need wisdom as well as wit. Tall order!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know it's time to step away from the Internet when you're getting argumentative about a dancing competition
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My goodness we are suddenly popular!!!

FT I got my washing machine delivered and installed yesterday quite impressed by the service. They took the old one away, a bit like parting with an old friend really.

Tried the new one out this morning it is a bit like an aeroplane cockpit with all the lights. Godd though from my point of view as it indicates the time left and it shows up in lights what programme has been chosen and the spin speed can be altered from the standard one. It also beeps when it has finished.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    Not long now guys!
  • Gethin's girlGethin's girl Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    hello! It's been a while...:o

I shall be back at the weekend with nibbles and wine - but 1st, I'm trying to sort out the Strictly party for December, and can't find when the final is! :eek: Anyone help???

You're all invited of course! :)
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong thread :o
  • soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Wrong thread :o

Monaogg is saying the Final party needs a room warm but boisterous. ;)
    Forum Member
    soulmate61 wrote: »
    Monaogg is saying the Final party needs a room warm but boisterous. ;)
    Well I'm hoping it'll be both Soulmate - But it won't be either if I don't know a date :eek: December is filling up rapidly and I don't want to miss the final!
    Forum Member
    Gethin's Girl, Strictly Final is on 22nd ? December.
    If all your admirers turn up, you will need to hire an Odeon cinema with dancing in 3D. Save a dance for me :) :

Odeon link is from 2011. :eek:
    Forum Member
    hello! It's been a while...:o

I shall be back at the weekend with nibbles and wine - but 1st, I'm trying to sort out the Strictly party for December, and can't find when the final is! :eek: Anyone help???

You're all invited of course! :)

Ooh ta everso. :)
    I was quite surprised to see today that it all kicks off on Friday! Those last 2 weeks went quickly. Unfortunately alcohol brings on a migraine :( but I'll be busy with the teapot - Lady Grey is my preferred blend, but builder's tea will be available. I'm looking through my cook book for popular cake recipes, so let's be knowing your favourite and they'll be fresh from the oven. :D
    Forum Member
    Oh what a wonderful idea soulmate! You can have the 1st dance on my card as you have solved my problem!

And Daisydee, I'm partial to anything laced with chocolate! And as it's strictly, edible glitter would be fabulous! :D

Right, must go and cook tea, see you all at the weekend!
    Forum Member
    It's turned out impossible to google for the Final date of SCD 2012, so I calculated the hard way:

October 5/6 -- 14 couples dancing -- elimination on 6th.
    October 13 -- 13 couples dancing.
    October 20 -- 12 couples dancing
    October 27 -- 11 couples dancing
    November 03 -- 10 couples dancing
    November 10 -- 9 couples dancing
    November 17 -- 8 couples dancing
    November 24 -- 7 couples dancing
    December 01 -- 6 couples dancing
    December 08 -- 5 couples dancing
    December 15 -- 4 couples dancing
    December 22 -- 3 couples dancing -- Final

This schedule does suggest the Final will be on December 22nd not on the 15th. ;)
    Forum Member
    shefair wrote: »
    can I just point out that so far on this thread in the last few posts other posters have been accused of nastiness, being horrible, being unreasonable and WUMs .
    No one has been directly accused - it is the tone that is being referred to.

and I have personally been accused of being bitchy the other day
    No you haven't, EJ was speaking generally.

Not only is that very judgemental of others it is against forum rules and I do feel that if you only want to post positively ,which is fine, perhaps you should stay in this thread, or request a move up to the attic.

How patronising!

You have different experiences and view points than others but others opinions are just as valid,. Do you know I find it quite mean spirited to object to and make judgements on other posters when what you are objecting to is them judging the pros on the show.
    Isn't this exactly what you are doing? :confused: Oh, but It would seem that sarcasm is ok though :rolleyes:

It is a shame to fall out so badly before the series has even started and I don't feel I have done anything to personally judge any poster on this forum, I have judged and do dislike some of the pro,s and celebs but equally I have posted like and am interested in seeing what other people can do,

Who's falling out?

I would appreciate a bit of understanding of other posters opinions and style of posting whether you feel they are right or wrong. I have read this thread in the past and enjoyed it but at the moment it seems to have become a case of them and us and when all is said and done being rude about about other posters is against forum rules,

Me too, it works both ways.

I have just spent a very long day at work trying my damnedest to help people some in very difficult circumstances and come home to find a whole group of people judging me because of my opinion on a forum about a programme I really enjoy.

No one is judging you.

It would be nice to stop this sort of bickering please

Who's bickering? It's just good old fashioned difference of opinion.

oh and very best wishes on a good outcome for your eye problems to elizabethjo

I echo that EJ. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Daisydee that is one very big post.

I am a bit concerned that our Warm and tranquil room is turning into something else.
    I will have to use the ignore button soon and that is something I have never done.
    Forum Member
    Wow Daisydee that is one very big post.

I am a bit concerned that our Warm and tranquil room is turning into something else.
    I will have to use the ignore button soon and that is something I have never done.

I felt there were many points in shefair's post that needed to be answered, and could only think of that way to do it - hope it made sense.
    But really shefair should not have chosen this thread in which to post her grievances, bearing in mind the title of the thread.