Options

Debbie Harry slams 'too overtly sexual' Christina

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.lemondrop.co.uk/2010/06/04/debbie-harry-slams-modern-pop-divas-for-being-too-raunchy/?icid=main|uk-ws-bb|dl7|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemondrop.co.uk%2F2010%2F06%2F04%2Fdebbie-harry-slams-modern-pop-divas-for-being-too-raunchy%2F

Ms Harry thinks today's pop divas are too OTT in the sexual department.

Comments

• Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pot Kettle Blonde.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's not wrong. And it's not just Christina A, it's so many female performers who try to be raunchy to cover up (for some of them) a lack of real talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Got to say, CA new video is a bit OTT. I don't mind it in and of itself, but imo she is just ticking the boxes. A poor man/woman's Madonna attempt.
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Pot Kettle Blonde.

I don't agree, having remember Debbie back in the day she was tame comapred to now and yes she has a point.

I think she is choosing CA as just one example.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Definitely agree with what she's saying. Christina just seems very desperate in her latest video when she needn't be as she has a brilliant voice, I can understand those that are all style over substance having to resort to desperate measures for attention.
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Ms Harry is right. Christina has possibly the best voice in contemporary pop today, just hear her when she lets notes hang in the air for seconds at a time, rather than rush through a song. She doesn't need to dress wearing as little as possible, as much as, say, Beyonce or Britney Spears do.

Britney isn't so much a first class singer as a first class entertainer, and gives first class value as such. But I kinda get the impression that she'd be just as happy selling burgers from a mobile van, and taking home a big bag of cheese burgers at the end of the day for her family's dinners, as singing in front of an audience or having a number one hit album.

As for Beyonce, she's sold on her looks and her sexy videos, not the music. A (very) poor man's Diana Ross, but with nowhere near the talent or the great songwriters behind her. Pity, she could do so much better if she sang soul or sultry jazz, rather than substandard r'n'b. Not to mention stopping filling out her albums with duets. .

All the above is just my opinion. Copyright is mine.

I hope you disagree with me. The world would be awful if we all thought the same. Have a wonderful weekend!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dennis C wrote: »
    I think that Ms Harry is right. Christina has possibly the best voice in contemporary pop today, just hear her when she lets notes hang in the air for seconds at a time, rather than rush through a song. She doesn't need to dress wearing as little as possible, as much as, say, Beyonce or Britney Spears do.

Britney isn't so much a first class singer as a first class entertainer, and gives first class value as such. But I kinda get the impression that she'd be just as happy selling burgers from a mobile van, and taking home a big bag of cheese burgers at the end of the day for her family's dinners, as singing in front of an audience or having a number one hit album.

As for Beyonce, she's sold on her looks and her sexy videos, not the music. A (very) poor man's Diana Ross, but with nowhere near the talent or the great songwriters behind her. Pity, she could do so much better if she sang soul or sultry jazz, rather than substandard r'n'b. Not to mention stopping filling out her albums with duets. .

I hope you disagree with me. The world would be awful if we all thought the same. Have a wonderful weekend!! :)

Oh, you put it so much better than I did.

And I agree about Britney, she seems like she'd have had a much happier, better life if she was just 'normal'.
  • Options
    xAries_1990xxAries_1990x Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's right, she doesn't need to be so sexual, she has a great voice, but her video imo just comes across as desperate.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has she said anything about Myley Cyrus ? - she's barely an adult and prances about like a ****.

Wonder what her (Cyrus') father makes of his daughter's behaviour ? :cool:
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sad but true. Her heart hasn't been in it for a long time. She still seems very fragile to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember Debbie Harry "slamming" Madonna whe she released her "sex" book in the early nineties or the sexually explicit video for Justify my Love.

Both 100% more sexual and explicit than anything Christina Aguilera has ever done.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member

As for Beyonce, she's sold on her looks and her sexy videos, not the music. A (very) poor man's Diana Ross, but with nowhere near the talent or the great songwriters behind her. Pity, she could do so much better if she sang soul or sultry jazz, rather than substandard r'n'b. Not to mention stopping filling out her albums with duets.

She only done two collaborations on her last album and they weren't even on the standard edition of the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cyberninja wrote: »
    I don't remember Debbie Harry "slamming" Madonna whe she released her "sex" book in the early nineties or the sexually explicit video for Justify my Love.

From what I've read, everyone else did. Whats one more opinion? Maybe she thinks as Christina actually has a great voice she doesn't need to sell herself as a **** like Madonna, Britney, Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga etc have to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both 100% more sexual and explicit than anything Christina Aguilera has ever done.

You wait till you hear her new album:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree Christina doesn't need to portray herself in a sluttish way. She has a great voice, so no need to cheapen herself. I guess she's just an attention-freak, like so many of the others. They're all just cheap Madonna rip-offs anyway, IMO.......and, of course, Debbie Harry came first. I suppose Debbie was quite risque in her day, although having seen Blondie videos, Debbie just exuded sexiness and sultriness rather than deliberately trying to be explicit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orin wrote: »
    You wait till you hear her new album:D:D

Unless the inside cover has pictures of Christina french kissing lesbian skinheads who are tying her up or hitch hiking completely naked on a public road then I doubt its as raunchy as Madonna's sex book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    I don't agree, having remember Debbie back in the day she was tame comapred to now and yes she has a point.

I think she is choosing CA as just one example.

They fixed the link, the article isn't as bitter as the OP made it sound.

Debby Harry has done some nude photos, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    They fixed the link, the article isn't as bitter as the OP made it sound.

Debby Harry has done some nude photos, though.

:confused: I don't think my post made it sound bitter at all. I was only copying a headline from the article. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: I don't think my post made it sound bitter at all. I was only copying a headline from the article. :confused:

Well she doesn't 'SLAM' Christina, just makes some quite valid points about female artists having to out-sex each other. :)
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think at the back of it all most of these singers are ordinary looking girls with worked out bodies and average faces with the same hang ups as every other woman.

Take away the lighting, professional styling and you wouldn't look twice at them walking down the street.

They know this and have the same insecurities we all have. But the difference is they have the whole world looking at them so they take their kit off so everyones talking about their bodies and not their faces and in some cases the lack of talent.

In Christina's case she strikes me as very insecure constantly bragging about her sex life and how much she loves herself.
    I think she had some serious hang ups about the way she looks.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

I thought Debbie and Madonna had some celebrity feud or something back in the day must google that later
  • Options
    LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    I thought Debbie and Madonna had some celebrity feud or something back in the day must google that later

This perhaps squealer?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailydish/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=20761
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna's always looked up to Debbie Harry and quite rightly IMO. Debbie is the real Queen of Pop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    If Christina Aguilera really wants to shock everyone, perhaps she could try keeping her clothes on.