The "Justice League" film that was almost made

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I never knew about this. Back in early 2007, director George Miller and a cast of (mostly unknowns) were about to shoot the film. Cost overruns (over $200 million) and a writer's strike is what derailed it. If it had been made, it would have been running concurrently with Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Here's a list of actors who were originally cast at the time:

Armie Hammer ("The Lone Ranger") who would've played Batman

Adam Brody ("The O.C.") who would've been The Flash

D.J. Cotrona ("G.I. Joe: Retaliation") who would've played Superman

Megan Gale ("Project Runway Australia") who would've played Wonder Woman

Santiago Cabrera ("Heroes") who would've played Aquaman

Hugh Keays-Byrne ("Mad Max: Fury Road") who would've played The Martian Manhunter

Teresa Palmer ("The Grudge 2") who would've played Talia Al Ghul

Jay Baruchel ("Goon") who would've played Maxwell Lord

Common as John Stewart

Anton Yelchin ("Star Trek") as Wally West

Zoe Kazan as Iris West

Stephen Tobolowsky as Alfred Pennyworth

There are some behind-the-scenes photos that has been released: LINK

Comments

• Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Fascinating piece - thanks for the link.

It's interesting to think what would have happened if this film had been released... for
    a start, it would have beaten "The Avengers" to the "biggest superteam movie" punch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Fascinating piece - thanks for the link.

It's interesting to think what would have happened if this film had been released... for
    a start, it would have beaten "The Avengers" to the "biggest superteam movie" punch.

It's arguable Warner Bros. already beat The Avengers by several years with 2009's Watchmen, which features around 13 superheroes spread across two separate but related teams.

It didn't do very well, possibly because it was an expensive hard R, and also a massively acquired taste which was very difficult to market. or possibly just because the Watchmen aren't that well known. I also think Warner Bros. were perhaps ahead of themselves, if it came out more recently it may have gone down slightly better...
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's arguable Warner Bros. already beat The Avengers by several years with 2009's Watchmen, which features around 13 superheroes spread across two separate but related teams.

It didn't do very well, possibly because it was an expensive hard R, and also a massively acquired taste which was very difficult to market. or possibly just because the Watchmen aren't that well known. I also think Warner Bros. were perhaps ahead of themselves, if it came out more recently it may have gone down slightly better...

Well if I'm being a stickler Watchmen only had one super powered character.

Besides you have the Fantastic Four movies prior to Watchmen and hey they may not originate in comics you could even count the Power Rangers movies.

The appeal of Avengers and the Justice League isn't that it's perceived as the first super team, it was that a number of solo characters popular enough to star in their own movie franchises teamed together.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farscape wrote: »
    Well if I'm being a stickler Watchmen only had one super powered character.

Besides you have the Fantastic Four movies prior to Watchmen and hey they may not originate in comics you could even count the Power Rangers movies.

The appeal of Avengers and the Justice League isn't that it's perceived as the first super team, it was that a number of solo characters popular enough to star in their own movie franchises teamed together.

Thank you for saving me typing that out. So with that said Marvel beat DC to the punch. It's shameful that it's taken 30 years to get Batman vs Superman on the big screen together (and even that project is looking less and less likely).
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Don't know if she can act but Megan Gale looks the part for Wonder Woman.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Wow. Never realised it got that close.

The writer's strike hit Hollywood quite a bit, (allegedly one of the reasons we had so many remakes etc), and this looks a big scalp it claimed.

Mind you, $200m+ on an untested property is still risky now, nevermind then.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    farscape wrote: »

That's what I meant by "biggest superteam" - both Avengers and JLA star
    a number of iconic superheroes all working together, in a way that
    say, the X-Men, or the Green Lantern Corp don't. Nearly every
    regulars in both teams have headlined at least one of their
    own comics.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adrian brody would make a good flash, very witty.

JL film will happen within 5 years i am sure.