Options

Mike Ingham

mike04021949mike04021949 Posts: 24
Forum Member
I know it's been mentioned in the Wrold Cup discussion so I'm sorry to bring it up here but the BBC Cheif Football Correspondent Mike Ingham retires at the end of the World Cup after 23 years at the helm. I read somewhere that he is going to do other things at the Beeb.

Can anyone confirm that and, if so, what?

For me, he's been an absolutely top class commentator, right up there with Peter Jones. I do hope we haven't heard the last of him.

Comments

• Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    It said he will be involved with "programs". Quite what they will be, i'm not sure.
    Those of us of a certain age may remember him on Radio 1 on Friday evenings, covering for Andy Peebles. He was a good all rounder. He did a program of classic matches during the summer months on the old R5 (or maybe early 5 Live), it was great. It was him, a couple of guests from the game featured and bits of the radio commentary. I remember being on a long drive one evening reliving the cracking 1987 Cup Final again.
    As The Differnce pointed out in the W/C thread, there's always a chance one of the broadsheets could use him, hence like CMJ would pop up on Cricket Writers on Sky Sports, you may see him on Sunday Supplement. You never know
  • Options
    uksoundzuksoundz Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I wonder if BBC radio Sheffield's sports editor Paul Walker announcing on twitter today that he's leaving at the end of June but might pop up from time to time means he could be heading to Salford?
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's been mentioned in the Wrold Cup discussion so I'm sorry to bring it up here but the BBC Cheif Football Correspondent Mike Ingham retires at the end of the World Cup after 23 years at the helm. I read somewhere that he is going to do other things at the Beeb.

Can anyone confirm that and, if so, what?

For me, he's been an absolutely top class commentator, right up there with Peter Jones. I do hope we haven't heard the last of him.

Good luck to him in his retirement and the BBC are well served with other good commentators for the football. It is the summarisers/analysts where they more often go wrong for example with Robbie Savage.
  • Options
    DaveNightingaleDaveNightingale Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Paul Walker has been doing commentary on MOTD and the Football League show for a while, so I'd suggest he's probably going in that direction..

RE Mike Ingham - he was responsible for one of the best pick ups from a sports report ever by Brian Redhead on the Today show on Radio 4. After featuring forthcoming racing for the day, Redhead responded with..

"A horse...a horse...Mike Ingham for a horse..."

Good luck to him in his retirement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Wow, I am of a "certain age" and I never knew he was on Radio 1 at one stage. By far and away the best football commentator around, he will be sorely missed. Hopefully John Murray will step into his shoes as No 1 commentator. Whenever i hear Chris Twaddle spouting off about an player's inadequcies, I can hear Mike Ingham's commentary... "Waddle has ballooned it...over the bar..."
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    iandun wrote: »
    Wow, I am of a "certain age" and I never knew he was on Radio 1 at one stage...."

Yes, pre 5 Live, Andy Peebles had a show which was music but with sports previews thrown in on a Friday evenings and Mike covered it.

Mike is an avid record collector, I remember him saying once every city he visits for a match he looks up independent record stores.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased that Mike Ingham has a thread to himself - he has been a master of his craft for many many years.
    For those like myself who don't have Sky TV and have had to listen to games on the radio his commentaries have been fantastically descriptive without the need to forcibly put his own comments across (as a certain Alan Green always seems to)

I hope Mr Ingham has a happy retirement.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did read some time ago that John Murray would become Radio Five's Chief Commentator from next season.

Agree with sentiments here. In an era of hyperbole, Mike Ingham's calm analysis has always been most welcome.
  • Options
    the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A superb broadcaster, I hope he enjoys his retirement.

The combination with Alan Green worked well because they have completely different styles.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the albion wrote: »
    A superb broadcaster, I hope he enjoys his retirement.

The combination with Alan Green worked well because they have completely different styles.

Absolutely right and the biggest argument in favour of retaining two commentators for the big games until one of the two retired.
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    I don't think Alan Green has signed the 2 year extension he has been offered, so could be the last season for both of them.
  • Options
    the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Alan Green has signed the 2 year extension he has been offered, so could be the last season for both of them.

I have detected Green's voice becoming slightly weaker recently, maybe connected to the health issues he has. His style is not to all tastes but he has been an excellent commentator over the years so I hope he doesn't go on too long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    The BBC have asked him to be an ad-hoc contributor, taking part in a few radio broadcasts to give his opinion etc. So although he won't be commentating anymore he will still be involved in a lot of the BBC's radio football programming.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Good luck to him in his retirement and the BBC are well served with other good commentators for the football. It is the summarisers/analysts where they more often go wrong for example with Robbie Savage.
    All I can think with him having such success, within the BBC, is that he knows where the bodies are buried! :confused:
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Savage has been signed up by BT Sport so someone must love him.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost never tweet, but I'd like to message Mike Ingham somehow to tell him he will be sorely missed (by me!). I can't find a Twitter moniker for him, maybe he doesn't have one?
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    He doesn't use Twitter.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, 4-4-2 - somehow that doesn't surprise me :)
  • Options
    j3132j3132 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b7570

Tonight at 9 on 5 Live : Mike Ingham - The World Cup Years