Options

Objective measure of who are the worst drivers ?

Comments

• Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    If somebody is undertaking you it's a sign you're in the wrong lane. Wake up to what's going on around you.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Yes this is likely true.
    I do get impatient when I sit behind someone in the overtaking lane who won't pull back in.
    Even if you are sitting on the limit please pull in again when you can.

You can be done for obstructing traffic.

Fair enough, but this does not mean "move to the left and brake sharply to avoid running into the vehicle ahead".

Neither does it mean "move to the left as soon as the vehicle you're cutting in front of has a 50:50 chance of avoiding a collision" - I once saw someone do that one to exactly the wrong vehicle (its foglamps weren't foglamps...).

It's a road, not a slalom course.
  • Options
    MinkinitMinkinit Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I was following a car for about 10 miles, who had their side mirrors folded in.

Being called a bad driver for something like that, is an understatement
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    kitty86 wrote: »
    People who don't indicate

People who don't pull out ever unless someone comes to hold their hand

People who don't look at the speed of a road, so slow down to 30 at the speed camera on a 40 road

People who hog the fast lane

People who think that because I'm a woman I will succumb to their aggressiveness not realising I'm pretty damn aggressive myself

People who speed up your arse after you've overtaken them, if you drove that speed in the first place you'd still be in front dickwad

Men who get egotistical when I beat them at the lights

People who brake all the way down the road for no flipping reason!

People who drive at 20 on a 30 road for no good reason

People who suddenly pull out on you and then drive soooo slowly.
    Even worse are the ones who sit at a side junction waiting for a gap in a line of traffic, and you are the last in that line, behind is a vast open space, not a car,bus,truck,bike in sight, the driver in the side road up ahead, waits until you are almost level with him and pulls out, wheels spinning,engine screaming, all eyeballs and teeth, right in front of you and then pootles along in front of you at 25 m.ph.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    Fair enough, but this does not mean "move to the left and brake
    to avoid running into the vehicle ahead".

It's a road, not a slalom course.

And that's why I wrote pull over when you can. ;-)

We need Police on the road to book these lane hoggers.
    Though i did see a good one once when a driver went up the hard shoulder on a slow moving motorway.

He them found a gap and re-joined again straight in front of the Police. :p
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy who yesterday refused to filter in turn as a double approach to a roundabout was reduced to a single lane. Instead, deliberately speeding up on my inside to make sure he got to the roundabout first.

He gets my objective vote.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find Royal Mail drivers to be terrible. They seem to think they have Crown immunity from all traffic laws.

Postman Pat has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    Even worse are the ones who sit at a side junction waiting for a gap in a line of traffic, and you are the last in that line, behind is a vast open space, not a car,bus,truck,bike in sight, the driver in the side road up ahead, waits until you are almost level with him and pulls out, wheels spinning,engine screaming, all eyeballs and teeth, right in front of you and then pootles along in front of you at 25 m.ph.

Exactly it's so dangerous! This happens so often, driving nowadays is all about being psychic and second guessing what other drivers are going to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    And that's why I wrote pull over when you can. ;-)

We need Police on the road to book these lane hoggers.
    Though i did see a good one once when a driver went up the hard shoulder on a slow moving motorway.

He them found a gap and re-joined again straight in front of the Police. :p

It restores your faith in natural justice to see that happen! :D
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Every age group can be bad, but other than what's been mentioned i'll add.

Drivers who can't park properly, on one occasion i had to enter my car through the passenger door & shuffle to the drivers seat, as the driver in the next parking bay, parked their car leaving only millimeters of space between there car & mine.

Those who don't use indicators when turning at junctions/roundabouts.

Those who hog the second lane of a dual carriageway doing 30 in a 40 zone when the inside lane is clear.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any driver who thinks it's ok to drink and then get behind the wheel and drive. And there are still far too many of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drivers who can't park properly, on one occasion i had to enter my car through the passenger door & shuffle to the drivers seat, as the driver in the next parking bay, parked their car leaving only millimeters of space between there car & mine.

After attending a meeting at offices that had a reputation for narrow paring spaces, I returned to my car to find that this had happened on both sides.

It was a good job that they'd given me an estate car that day.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    I have no compunction in parking centrally in my bay next to a badly parked car even if it stops them opening their driver door.
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    The worst drivers tend to be the ones who criticize everyone elses driving

And themselves pick and choose bits from the highway code and break the law every journey. They are crap drivers and non law abiding citizens and should be barred from any whining talk of mostly any subject. :D
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    Maybe we should all be a little more relaxed about the driving errors of others. We all make mistakes from time to time.
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    ...Drivers who can't park properly, on one occasion i had to enter my car through the passenger door & shuffle to the drivers seat, as the driver in the next parking bay, parked their car leaving only millimeters of space between there car & mine...
    I watched the Social Worker I was about to have a meeting with (female, sixties), enter the school car park and choose a tight space, only to park so close to the car on her right that she had to climb across to the passenger side to exit.
    Oh I laughed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Maybe we should all be a little more relaxed about the driving errors of others. We all make mistakes from time to time.

There's a difference between making mistakes and doing something dangerous, non indication, sudden pulling out, sudden braking, tailgating all of these are more than just mistakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doctorb wrote: »
    And themselves pick and choose bits from the highway code and break the law every journey. They are crap drivers and non law abiding citizens and should be barred from any whining talk of mostly any subject. :D

The worst drivers are the ones who think they are the safest on the roads, these people may not be in accidents but they certainly cause them.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My colleague has a frightening degree of overconfidence, especially for someone who has had two accidents in his first year of driving. He failed his test first time and had on problem regaling us with why he should have passed, and that the experienced examiner was wrong.

His worst accident happened at speed, when he and the car behind him both decided to pull out and overtake a car in front of them. The car behind him did it well before he did though, and he pulled into it's side. He said that the other driver should have waited in turn to overtake, when obviously from it's perspective it was overtaking two slow cars, not one.

So drivers who are unaware scare me. Another girl I know is whining about doing a speed awareness course, but my boss says that although he speeds, he doesn't feel a risk because avoiding being caught is part of being aware of the road. And it's true - there weren't random speed traps, she should have been aware enough of her surroundings to spot them.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst drivers are the ones who think they are the safest on the roads, these people may not be in accidents but they certainly cause them.

What about the people who sit in the outside lanes blocking traffic, or who can't keep lane discipline, block the road, far too over hesitant and have no confidence etc I think these are the worst kind as others have to go around avoiding them all the time. There's also the risk that people will get frustrated with these drivers and try and go around them somehow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    What about the people who sit in the outside lanes blocking traffic, or who can't keep lane discipline, block the road, far too over hesitant and have no confidence etc I think these are the worst kind as others have to go around avoiding them all the time. There's also the risk that people will get frustrated with these drivers and try and go around them somehow.

This is what I mean, I'm sure these people think, I'm sticking to the speed limit therefore I'm a safe driver but that is not always the case. I respect drivers who aren't confident and pull in to allow people to pass, I can't abide the ones who drive almost on the outer edge with this belief that everyone should wait behind them and no one should overtake even though they are travelling slower than the speed limit and there is no reason to be doing so.

One guy wasn't even using the lane I had to get into but refused to allow me in to get to it. What was the need I don't know? Selfishness.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between making mistakes and doing something dangerous, non indication, sudden pulling out, sudden braking, tailgating all of these are more than just mistakes.

Yes, I think every driver makes the odd mistake.
    Like you say though things like non-indication, sudden pulling out, sudden braking and tailgating are an indication of them driving like that all the time.

These people seem to be completely oblivious to anyone else on the road and seem to be driving in their own little world.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

Other drivers getting frustrated and acting badly is in no way the fault of an unconfident driver, and it's in no way acceptable to pass off there driving faults as being caused by other drivers. Nobody but you is responsible for how you drive.

It's worth remembering that good drivers can drive poorly in different circumstances and it can easily happen to you, and in that situation you'd want people to be patient. I had my own wake up call when I got a new car at Christmas and had trouble getting away quickly at roundabouts and realised just how fast people drive at roundabouts, including me. It's made me a lot more tolerant.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I have no compunction in parking centrally in my bay next to a badly parked car even if it stops them opening their driver door.

It's perfectly understandable that you'd do this, and I heartily applaud you for doing it, after all, you have parked correctly, the other prat was too dumb to be able to do so.
    The fly in the ointment would be that when he/she returns, they hit your correctly parked car when they open their door, and they won't care about that.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old people are a nightmare, they either drive right up your arse or 30 in a 60.

Some females tend to be a little careless in pulling out, had to slam the brakes a few times in this last few months and its always a women.

Although my personal fav is the middle aged man in a somewhat fancy car. Foot down, right up your arse, aggressive overtaking, doing easily 90 on the motorway. I always hope these types will be seen down the road looking angry as a copper is taking his details. Only seen in once but it did make me smile.

It might be sexist but men seem to make the best and worst drivers. Ladies appear to be able to maintain some level of skill, whilst males its all over the place.

I do love a pushy middle aged man though, because his 50 grand BMW really isnt going to win a fight against my heap of shit nissan almera, he can only do about 800 quids worth of damage at best, whilst I can put him out of pocket to 50 grand, so I always win.