Emergency services abusing their sirens.

gothergother Posts: 14,699
Forum Member
✭✭
Time and time again i see ambulances and police using their blue lights and sirens to get through traffic or across traffic lights, once they're across they turn of their sirens and blue lights. This is not only annoying but also dangerous to other motorists who are using the road as they scramble to get out of the way a accident could happen, but do the police care no why should they aslong as they get their cup of tea.
It's worse at night when every single night at around about 11:30pm a police car will come wailing his sirens obviously not an emergency as he is going quite slow and there is no traffic around.
Should new laws be bought in to stop sirens at night or at least have the noise toned down?
Genuine emergencies i can understand as they need to get to the scene fast but idiots who abuse their sirens should be fired for endangering other motorists and causing noise pollution and startling pedestrians.

Comments

• PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the traffic lights, ambulances will use their sirens and lights when approaching the junction to alert other road users of their presence. Once through the lights the sirens are no longer needed so they will turn them off, until the next junction, etc.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    isn`t that what they`re supposed to do? how do YOU know whether something is an emergency or not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should only worry if they are flying through traffic lights with no sirens, not with them on
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Time and time again i see ambulances and police using their blue lights and sirens to get through traffic or across traffic lights, once they're across they turn of their sirens and blue lights. This is not only annoying but also dangerous to other motorists who are using the road as they scramble to get out of the way a accident could happen, but do the police care no why should they aslong as they get their cup of tea.
    It's worse at night when every single night at around about 11:30pm a police car will come wailing his sirens obviously not an emergency as he is going quite slow and there is no traffic around.
    Should new laws be bought in to stop sirens at night or at least have the noise toned down?
    Genuine emergencies i can understand as they need to get to the scene fast but idiots who abuse their sirens should be fired for endangering other motorists and causing noise pollution and startling pedestrians.

If the police car was on its way to help you would you care how much it annoyed other motorists ? As has been said they may need to get through that traffic at the lights so use them to do so, they may then switch them off as they dont need to move traffic the other side, also they may be nearing their destination and require a silent approach for the safety of the person they are going to assist or the call could be cancelled and they return to normal. Soemtime ambulances will need blue lights and sirens to get through lights but the case on board may require the ambulance to get to a hospital ASAP but also not travel at speed due to certain types of injury.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I've seen that many times. Police cars using their sirens to get through traffic and then they pull in to the station.....who are they going to arrest there?
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    i would say if you ever need the emergency services - see how annoyed you are then
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If the police car was on its way to help you would you care how much it annoyed other motorists ? As has been said they may need to get through that traffic at the lights so use them to do so, they may then switch them off as they dont need to move traffic the other side, also they may be nearing their destination and require a silent approach for the safety of the person they are going to assist or the call could be cancelled and they return to normal. Soemtime ambulances will need blue lights and sirens to get through lights but the case on board may require the ambulance to get to a hospital ASAP but also not travel at speed due to certain types of injury.

They don't have their blues and twos on until they get to the lights, as i said genuine emergencies i can understand but this is a blatant abuse of position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    i would say if you ever need the emergency services - see how annoyed you are then

Same energency service that took over 12 hours to arrive to a elderly neighbour who'd been assaulted in her own home you mean?
    Forum Member
    They don't have their blues and twos on until they get to the lights, as i said genuine emergencies i can understand but this is a blatant abuse of position.

that`s surely to warn other road users that they`re going through?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    I've seen that many times. Police cars using their sirens to get through traffic and then they pull in to the station.....who are they going to arrest there?
    Maybe no-one. Maybe they had to get there for some other urgent business. The point is, who knows?

Regarding ambulances, if they've got a sick or injured patient on, they're not going to go rushing about like they're in the Grand Prix. And they'll use the siren as little as possible, too.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Same energency service that took over 12 hours to arrive to a elderly neighbour who'd been assaulted in her own home you mean?

they get prioritised by an operator.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Police stations, especially if they have holding cells, can be potentially very violent places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Regarding the traffic lights, ambulances will use their sirens and lights when approaching the junction to alert other road users of their presence. Once through the lights the sirens are no longer needed so they will turn them off, until the next junction, etc.

Yes I though this was obvious!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that`s surely to warn other road users that they`re going through?

If it was an emergency then surely their blues and twos or one would be on constantly during the journey?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Maybe no-one. Maybe they had to get there for some other urgent business. The point is, who knows?

Regarding ambulances, if they've got a sick or injured patient on, they're not going to go rushing about like they're in the Grand Prix. And they'll use the siren as little as possible, too.

Especially if the patient is having a heart attack
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »

Ambulances i was a little harsh on i will hold up my hands to that and say i was wrong.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    If it was an emergency then surely their blues and twos or one would be on constantly during the journey?
    Better to have the siren on only when there is another road user who needs to be alerted. I can see how having it on permanently means it blends into the background soundscape and someone does not realise that is is aimed at them, there and now.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another bashing thread with no substance, and based on lack of understanding.

I only used my sirens and blue lights when I absolutely had to, and going through red lights was such a situation. If there was no need for them after that, I turned them off.
    Forum Member

WHY, IF THEY ARE NOT NEEDED?

edit: with ambulances they keep the sirenage down if they have serious patients, not wind it up unnecessarily.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would hazard a guess that you haven't seen it many times at all, and as mentioned earlier, there are times when calls for assistance are made at the station.

If you are trying to suggest they are doing it for a cup of tea, or some other similar trivial reason, there really is no need, because a shift spans a long time, and a couple of minute delay for a cuppa is no hardship.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would use it to get though traffic if I had a siren aswell. Might aswell make the most of it
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding is the driver can only use lights and sirens if there is a need to use them, and each driver is held accountable for the use. If someone where to complain (although why anyone would?!) they would be able to look at the information provided to deem if it was necessary.

Several weeks ago my 2yo had a febrile convolution, we were told by the ambulance crew that we would be transported as soon as possible because her temp was not coming back down and they were worried she would fit again. They said to us even though we were driving at speed the lights and sirens would only be used if we approached traffic or traffic lights. As it was 1.30am they did not use them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    There's also the noise pollution issue. The Noise Abatement Society puts it thus (they were talking about using less-polluting types of siren):
    Local emergency service regulatory bodies currently see no need to change from existing technologies as siren sounding is at the discretion of the vehicle crew. They feel that the noise pollution element is being managed by the driver who is responsible for sounding the sirens only when needed.
    Link

Emergency drivers are under some restraint on the use of sirens. Another article here.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Also some police cars dashing to an urgent incident and then suddenly switching off could have be on their way to an urgent mission but were called off by their controller when advised for instance that 'Sufficient cars are now on scene - No further assistance required'. On the point that they may use their blues and twos for tea-break reasons and the likes, No doubt one or two are guilty however its best to assume they are on a genuine mission and give way.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP seems to have an issue with the emergency services...?