Options

Brown eyed parents blue eyed baby still at four months

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
Forum Member
And no I didn't sleep with the milkman :p

Is it possible they could stay blue? My two year olds are brown like both mine and my partners

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wer u xpecting a brahn babee?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brown eyed baby yeah i thought brown eyed genes always over rode the blue eyed gene
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Bump wrote: »
    Brown eyed baby yeah i thought brown eyed genes always over rode the blue eyed gene

No, not always. Blue eyes are a recessive gene so can pop up from either parents carrying the gene. It's just less likely for you to have a baby with blue eyes, but as you can see, far from impossible :)
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    As above. Even some black people have blue eyes.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yes it`s perfectly normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    No, not always. Blue eyes are a recessive gene so can pop up from either parents carrying the gene. It's just less likely for you to have a baby with blue eyes, but as you can see, far from impossible :)

Thanks. Maybe they will change think they still can till 9 months according to baby websites but people keep coming up looking at him and saying 'nope they're staying blue 'and jokingly asking if I've been sleeping around :o
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My biology is very, very rusty, but I recall something about a recessive gene, where for some reason that comes through now and agan. It's why you get kids with rare diseases or something...

ETA - sorry for in inadequate and slow response there :D
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They used to think (and teach in schools as late as the 90s) that eye colour was a simple single gene thing, where the old classic rules of dominant/recessive applies.

They don't think that now, and think it's based on a complicated polygenetic bag of genes... which means, yes two brown eyed parents can have a blue eyed baby without an affair with the milkman.

It's unusual, but perfectly possible.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »

Hmm stupid i pad it wont work :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My biology is very, very rusty, but I recall something about a recessive gene, where for some reason that comes through now and agan. It's why you get kids with rare diseases or something...

ETA - sorry for in inadequate and slow response there :D

Thanks :-) i shall wait and see but in the meantime keep telling people i haven't slept with the milkman :p
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my kids has vivid blue eyes and no-one in my family has blue eyes (we all have very dark hazel - both my parents and all my granparents) and my ex had dark grey eyes - his parents both had brown eyes. But... one of his grandparents apparently had blue eyes.

Kids aren't like puppies or kittens (sadly) - their eyes don't start out one colour and change.

Genes are dominant and recessive. This will be a recessive gene that you or your partner carry but don't express... My mum was lefthanded, which is quite rare in women so you'd think a strong trait - but I am righthanded as are all of my kids. But I, and they, will still have the recessive gene for being lefthanded and one of my kids might one day have lefthanded kids...
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Thanks :-) i shall wait and see but in the meantime keep telling people i haven't slept with the milkman :p

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend has brown eyes and her husband blue, both of their children now in their teens have blue eyes.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My eyes didn't change colour until I was six years old - from blue to green.

Has anybody heard of this before, or am I a one-off? :D
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a cousin who has one blue eye and one brown eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Ahhh bugger u got me... But it was the postman not milkman ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »

Very unusual, not heard of this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very unusual, not heard of this!

I remember my mother's reaction most of all when she came to wake me up one morning. Hands to her face in shock and "Eeeeeh, your eyes have changed colour!" :D

I can't actually remember having blue eyes though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if I can write this well on the minimal forum and on my phone, but I'll try.

At least One of the parents is carrying the recessive blue gene (written as b) but both carry the dominant brown gene which is the colour expressed (written as B).

Those with blue eyes have bb, that is the recessive gene on both alleles and so blue is the colour expressed.

Those with brown eyes will have either BB or Bb genes, the dominant brown over-riding the recessive.

So, BB x Bb gives the potential of children carrying either, BB or Bb. All children will have brown eyes but 50% will carry the blue eye gene.

However, when both parents are Bb (brown eyes and carrying the blue gene), 25% of offspring will carry BB, 50% will carry Bb and 25% will carry bb.

So, you and your husband carry the blue gene, there is a one in four chance that you will have a blue eyed child and the same chance that you will have a child who cannot give you blue eyed children.

Am I making ANY sense?
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely normal. Someone didn't listen in school science
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I can write this well on the minimal forum and on my phone, but I'll try.

At least One of the parents is carrying the recessive blue gene (written as b) but both carry the dominant brown gene which is the colour expressed (written as B).

Those with blue eyes have bb, that is the recessive gene on both alleles and so blue is the colour expressed.

Those with brown eyes will have either BB or Bb genes, the dominant brown over-riding the recessive.

So, BB x Bb gives the potential of children carrying either, BB or Bb. All children will have brown eyes but 50% will carry the blue eye gene.

However, when both parents are Bb (brown eyes and carrying the blue gene), 25% of offspring will carry BB, 50% will carry Bb and 25% will carry bb.

So, you and your husband carry the blue gene, there is a one in four chance that you will have a blue eyed child and the same chance that you will have a child who cannot give you blue eyed children.

Am I making ANY sense?

Yes, something like that.

You are reminding me of my Human Biology course even more though. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, something like that.

You are reminding me of my Human Biology course even more though. :D

I need to draw a Mendel chart, this is torture :D
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And no I didn't sleep with the milkman :p

Is it possible they could stay blue? My two year olds are brown like both mine and my partners

How many partners do you have? :p
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had blue eyes as a youngster, Emerald green now.

epicurian wrote: »

I tried this and both my parents have/had blue eyes and it said eye colour error due to my parents having blue eyes, My children share my green eyes as does my aunt :confused: