Sam and Amy Debut Radio 2

2»

Comments

• sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Damien (St John) is currently doing?

Evenings and Saturday mornings on The Breeze network.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »

Having heard oj borg before I'm sure you could say the same about him.

OJ Borg is always a scream when he presents on Radio 2 whenever I've heard him! He has such a great personality and a real natural humour that really comes across well on air. And yet they insist on using the permanent aural wallpaper stand-ins all the time like Tubridy & Kealty... More OJ please ;-)
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really pleased for Sam and Amy, listened on and off since Amy was still the travel girl on Century, always knew they had star quality.
    Hope this is a sign of things to come for Radio 2, using commercial talent again, there's a large pool out there without jobs. As has been said above, hopefully the the likes of Hirsty will be picked up.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    paulx23 wrote: »
    Really pleased for Sam and Amy, listened on and off since Amy was still the travel girl on Century, always knew they had star quality.
    Hope this is a sign of things to come for Radio 2, using commercial talent again, there's a large pool out there without jobs. As has been said above, hopefully the the likes of Hirsty will be picked up.

I would ;like to hear Simon Hirst on R2 as well but I understand he is taking a break from radio at the moment.
  • radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Where would they fit into on Radio 2? Weekends?

at the risk of getting lynched i would say 7-10 saturday morning and get rid of sots
    Forum Member
    at the risk of getting lynched i would say 7-10 saturday morning and get rid of sots

Yes you would be lynched SOTS is one of Radio 2's most listened to shows.

Why not put them on at 10am anything is better than Graham Norton
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this the Sony winners Sam and Amy from Gem 106 who are covering Richard Allinsons overnight show this coming weekend? Gem are very understanding letting them work for the Beeb

How can they justify this when they are cutting hours elsewhere on the network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »

Why not put them on at 10am anything is better than Graham Norton

I'd agree with that. Norton's TV work is more important to him anyway. I don't like Norton but find him even more smug & unfunny on the radio
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    How can they justify this when they are cutting hours elsewhere on the network.
    I imagine they are VERY cheap compared to others on the network.
    This is the type of talent they need to get in to keep costs down, as opposed to ex-TV stars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the type of talent they need to get in to keep costs down, as opposed to ex-TV stars.

Very true. I wonder how many shows Sam & Amy could present for the same fee as say Rice, O'Leary, Norton or Paige?
    Forum Member

I certainly agree on not employing the costly ex TV stars they are often lousy radio presenters anyway.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We find out if these two are just a one off or listeners Christmas present?
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We find out if these two are just a one off or listeners Christmas present?

EH?:confused:
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to say it is crazy to be doing this especially on an Early Show but I'm sure JK and Joel presented Early Breakfast on Radio 1, I just wonder whether Radio 2 are thinking of future breakfast hosts as Chris Evans has been in the slot two or three years now and although will probably be in the slot for some time although then again he might not be as not everyone is a Terry Wogan or Tony Blackburn so it might be they will take over as cover hosts for Chris say starting in January and lets not forget that some cover hosts remain that for years before either leaving or taking over.

All you have to do is look at Scott Mills on Radio 1's Official Chart as he has been cover since 1999, the days of Mark Goodier and yet is likely to leave Radio 1 next year or the year after. And before anyone come up with it I know he has presented regular shows on Radio 1 but I am just mentioning his cover on the Official Chart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    I was going to say it is crazy to be doing this especially on an Early Show but I'm sure JK and Joel presented Early Breakfast on Radio 1, I just wonder whether Radio 2 are thinking of future breakfast hosts as Chris Evans has been in the slot two or three years now and although will probably be in the slot for some time although then again he might not be as not everyone is a Terry Wogan or Tony Blackburn so it might be they will take over as cover hosts for Chris say starting in January and lets not forget that some cover hosts remain that for years before either leaving or taking over.

All you have to do is look at Scott Mills on Radio 1's Official Chart as he has been cover since 1999, the days of Mark Goodier and yet is likely to leave Radio 1 next year or the year after. And before anyone come up with it I know he has presented regular shows on Radio 1 but I am just mentioning his cover on the Official Chart.

There is only certain amount of cover work they could do. Can't just sit around waiting as where is the income coming from? If they do get a job at the station then possibly moving closer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they would sound very shouty as I've not heard Sam and Amy before. They sounded very quite and enjoyable listen.
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they would sound very shouty as I've not heard Sam and Amy before. They sounded very quite and enjoyable listen.

Must admit i do not usually listen to Radio 2 but as i found myself awake at 3am this morning i did give them a listen and thought they were very good. Hope they get to do more shows on Radio 2 in the future.
  • BoeyBoey Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Just listened on the iPlayer, and i also thought what a good show it was, perfect for that time of the day. Maybe we will hear a bit more of them in the future?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then Anneka Rice says I'm calling them Amy and Sam. When are they going to shuffle her too somewhere else?