Options

Gareth David-Lloyd in next weeks episode of The Bill

towerstowers Posts: 12,183
Forum Member
✭✭
Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto) plays the main suspect in next weeks episode of The Bill on 21st January.

There are 4 preview clips from the episode 'Duty Calls' on the Bills official website and Gareth appears in parts 1 and 3 (warning - the synopsis written below has spoilers)

http://www.thebill.com/

Comments

• Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. Let's hope his character doesn't get killed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »
    Oh dear. Let's hope his character doesn't get killed!

No, his character will turn out to have done whatever he was accused of and then there will be comments like;

"Oh No, the Bill prducers have uselessly thown away an interesting character by having him as the murderer, Ianto would never do anything like that and I want ITV to bring him back and say he didn't do it and was set up by GWAK fans. I will now send as many complaints to ITV as I can until I am aknowlaged."
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apollyon wrote: »
    No, his character will turn out to have done whatever he was accused of and then there will be comments like;

"Oh No, the Bill prducers have uselessly thown away an interesting character by having him as the murderer, Ianto would never do anything like that and I want ITV to bring him back and say he didn't do it and was set up by GWAK fans. I will now send as many complaints to ITV as I can until I am aknowlaged."

I wonder if he will be accused of spiking someones coffee :D
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love his voice - sends shivers down my spine!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apollyon wrote: »

Most Gareth fans have accepted Ianto's death and moved on. :rolleyes:

His mock-buster film Sherlock Holmes has also started dispatching this week and according to those who already have a copy, it's a really entertaining film and even the special effects aren't as bad as initially feared. :)

If you're a member of Livejournal, you can find a detailed review at -

http://community.livejournal.com/garethdlloyd/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    There is a trend, among the saddest, geekiest, haven't-got-any-kind-of-lifest Doctor Who fans, to start watching programmes like Eastenders because the new character on the square is played by Willie Eckerslyke, who appeared as Third Alien On The Left in Episode 4 of the classic Tom Baker story, "The Thingumyjigs From Planet Watchamacallit".
    So when I noticed this thread, for a moment I was worried.

On a slight tangent, I'm reminded of a film called "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing". I saw this at the pictures when I was a kid, and in the opening titles, Jon Pertwee's name came up. I naturally assumed that the Doctor was appearing in the film, and was gutted when I recognised the actor in disguise! Maybe my disappointment (a little boy can be scarred by such things, you know!) has brought on this attitude, for which I:
    a) apologise whole-heartedly, and
    b) wish to point out that I'm not really accusing my fellow posters of being among the saddest, geekiest, haven't-got-any-kind-of-lifest Doctor Who fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magpie2467 wrote: »
    There is a trend, among the saddest, geekiest, haven't-got-any-kind-of-lifest Doctor Who fans, to start watching programmes like Eastenders because the new character on the square is played by Willie Eckerslyke, who appeared as Third Alien On The Left in Episode 4 of the classic Tom Baker story, "The Thingumyjigs From Planet Watchamacallit".
    So when I noticed this thread, for a moment I was worried.

On a slight tangent, I'm reminded of a film called "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing". I saw this at the pictures when I was a kid, and in the opening titles, Jon Pertwee's name came up. I naturally assumed that the Doctor was appearing in the film, and was gutted when I recognised the actor in disguise! Maybe my disappointment (a little boy can be scarred by such things, you know!) has brought on this attitude, for which I:
    a) apologise whole-heartedly, and
    b) wish to point out that I'm not really accusing my fellow posters of being among the saddest, geekiest, haven't-got-any-kind-of-lifest Doctor Who fans.

Thankfully Gareth is a bit more well known than 'Willie Eckerslyke, who appeared as Third Alien On The Left in Episode 4 of the classic Tom Baker story, "The Thingumyjigs From Planet Watchamacallit".

:)

If you haven't seen Torchwood Children of Earth, you should, it was a big success with viewers and critics alike.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a mock-buster?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    Thankfully Gareth is a bit more well known than 'Willie Eckerslyke, who appeared as Third Alien On The Left in Episode 4 of the classic Tom Baker story, "The Thingumyjigs From Planet Watchamacallit".

:)

If you haven't seen Torchwood Children of Earth, you should, it was a big success with viewers and critics alike.

You're right, of course, and a lot more talented too. Personally, I don't enjoy reading about the "bring back Ianto" campaign, he played that scene with such conviction, bringing him back would only undermine a brilliantly acted shock to the viewers' systems.

I've actually heard negative feedback about the whole COTE week, which I can't quite understand. I thought it was a masterpiece of TV innovation. Yes, I say that as a fan, but when I watch Doctor Who, Torchwood, or even SJA, I'm less rather than more willing to forgive inadequacies. I EXPECT the show to be the best thing on TV, and I'm critical of it when it's less than that. And I have no issues at all with COTE. Even the somewhat easy ending was at least done well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's a mock-buster?:confused:

It's a film, usually produced on a shoestring budget, that seeks to take advantage of a blockbuster being released. For example, the Sherlock Holmes mockbuster has been hastily put together to cash in on the Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law masterpiece. Main difference being, this one's apparently quite good (by the standards of these things) while most are shockingly awful.

Examples include Transmorphers (for Transformers), Alien vs Hunter (for Alien vs Predator), etc...
  • Options
    poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto) plays the main suspect in next weeks episode of The Bill on 21st January.

There are 4 preview clips from the episode 'Duty Calls' on the Bills official website and Gareth appears in parts 1 and 3 (warning - the synopsis written below has spoilers)

http://www.thebill.com/

Now he can prove to us all that he can't act after all! ;)

I will certainly give it a miss now as I found his performance as "Ianto" ( :confused: ) about as lively as a sheet of MDF.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a film, usually produced on a shoestring budget, that seeks to take advantage of a blockbuster being released. For example, the Sherlock Holmes mockbuster has been hastily put together to cash in on the Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law masterpiece. Main difference being, this one's apparently quite good (by the standards of these things) while most are shockingly awful.

Examples include Transmorphers (for Transformers), Alien vs Hunter (for Alien vs Predator), etc...

Ah, ta for that. So basically the sort of thing Ch5 show in the afternoons.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycod wrote: »

I will certainly give it a miss now as I found his performance as "Ianto" ( :confused: ) about as lively as a sheet of MDF.

Each to his own. Personally I think he is a good actor as do many people, not just mad Ianto fans.

I watch The Bill anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Time will tell whether he can act or not. If he really can't, he won't be given any more significant roles.

I can understand why some people found Ianto boring at the side of Jack, Gwen and Owen because Ianto was an introverted character but it doesn't mean Gareth is a bad actor. He's certainly had a lot of praise from producers and writers over the years.

I often think Naoko Mori is unappreciated by fandom because it tends to focus on John, Eve and Burn when it comes to acting. And like Ianto, Tosh was neglected by the writers at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The shorter definition is "a rip-off".

And I've no doubt that this is as awful as the rest of The Asylum's output and would be as derided as they usually are, were it not for interest from Ianto fanboys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member

Well I'll be watching as I think he can act - see Girl Number 9. I also watch the Bill anyway.
    Can I ask, as I assume you've watched all of Torchwood and the New Doctor Who, whose performances you did like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    The shorter definition is "a rip-off".

And I've no doubt that this is as awful as the rest of The Asylum's output and would be as derided as they usually are, were it not for interest from Ianto fanboys.

Don't you mean fangirls?

Fanboys drool over special effects, surely. :p It might be a sexiest thing to say but it certainly holds true with many of the boys I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Apparently, he's a versatile chap with many talents, including lead singer of a blues/rock band. And he's not gay, bi, or even bi-curious. Personally, I reckon he played Ianto the way Ianto was written. Or maybe he worked with the director and decided, "This character would be great if played as a sheet of MDF".

Maybe if those viewers of The Bill report back that his character was "Evil-Ianto, the MDF Criminal", his acting skills can be called into question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon he played Ianto the way Ianto was written.

Yep!

If anything Gareth added to the character. It was his idea to have Ianto give Jack his coat before going out etc and RTD noted when he worked with Gareth briefly in the comedy-drama Mine all Mine that he put more effort into minor scenes than many actors do.

Apparently John Barrowman had the same ability when starting out in his stage career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havent watched The Bill in years! Will watch it though only to see Gareth in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep!

If anything Gareth added to the character. It was his idea to have Ianto give Jack his coat before going out etc and RTD noted when he worked with Gareth briefly in the comedy-drama Mine all Mine that he put more effort into minor scenes than many actors do.

Apparently John Barrowman had the same ability when starting out in his stage career.

There you go, see? Some actors believe that for their characters to be noticed and considered good, they must indulge in all sorts of OTT ham. Others, however, seem to understand that an understated performance, where one reins in the character instead of letting him go wild, can bring a great character to life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a new trailer for Gareth's mock-buster Sherlock Holmes over here -

http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php/2010/01/22/exclusive-trailer-for-the-asylums-monstrous-holmes/

this time featuring Gareth and the other main actors.

The DVD itself is Region 1 (US) so not everyone in the UK will be able to play it, unless they have a multi-region player.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »

Didn't realise that was out yet, might buy a copy.