Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    I feel like I am being poked at for saying that this episode was my least favorite and that I did not like John Slater. Well, I didn't and I don't and it is fine with me that others do. There are things about the episode that I like but at the end, despite his nobility, I don't like the character. And I said this was my least favorite - not that I did not like it. There really is a world of difference.

Written by Kirstie Falkous & John Regier who never wrote again. I didnt like the John Slater character either. Not really sure he was being noble either. He was a bit too slick, I thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Thank you so much Connie. I'm on my mobile phone, didnt come up on the home page and the most recent I could find was old MC interviews. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally got past my writers block: new chapter of Faker is now loading: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6641769/1/Faker

Also, SR, TC and I were in PI last week so highly sarcastic tale will hopefully be on Hod's blog soon & photos on flickr. :)
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like I am being poked at for saying that this episode was my least favorite and that I did not like John Slater. Well, I didn't and I don't and it is fine with me that others do. There are things about the episode that I like but at the end, despite his nobility, I don't like the character. And I said this was my least favorite - not that I did not like it. There really is a world of difference.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the discussion around John Slater. I think he is one of the few non-recurring characters that gets full treatment in one episode, and by that I mean we get his past, present, and future. He is painted in such a rounded way that he seems brave at times, and shifty at others and everywhere in between and at all times of his life. He isn't painted perfect no more than other characters, and I found myself feeling quite ambiguous about him virtually every time he was on screen. I thought the writers did an amazing job of painting this character so complexly and completely, and that the actor did a fab job of acting it.

I think the character reminds me of some of those bad boys that seemed somewhat attractive to me in my much younger life. Or else I just kinda like the actor's look. He is in the same talent agency as Martin Clunes, btw.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally added the new slides for the picnic/earthquake scene from S2E1. Thanks to Rob for finding it!

I also added the location where Louisa looks through the window after she wakes up from her dream. So start at this slide and then go to the next one until you have seen all six slides:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/9058696817/in/set-72157632555880302
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Written by Kirstie Falkous & John Regier who never wrote again. I didnt like the John Slater character either. Not really sure he was being noble either. He was a bit too slick, I thought.

This is my least favorite episode also. I liked the part about Melanie Gibson, but not John Slater.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    This is my least favorite episode also. I liked the part about Melanie Gibson, but not John Slater.

Yes I liked the Melanie storyline. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A rear view, hubba, hubba. :cool::)
    Oh dear, in that second link, I don't know what that blond haired girl is holding. I hope it's not Martin Cluneses potato! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several new photos today at Stowaway Tea Shoppe FB page (scroll down). These are in addition to the links Leannethemouse posted (thanks, leanne).

https://www.facebook.com/Stowaway.Tea.Shoppe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Finally added the new slides for the picnic/earthquake scene from S2E1. Thanks to Rob for finding it!

I also added the location where Louisa looks through the window after she wakes up from her dream. So start at this slide and then go to the next one until you have seen all six slides:

Very cool! Thank you, Shop Girl. I just love looking at these.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I've thoroughly enjoyed the discussion around John Slater. I think he is one of the few non-recurring characters that gets full treatment in one episode, and by that I mean we get his past, present, and future. He is painted in such a rounded way that he seems brave at times, and shifty at others and everywhere in between and at all times of his life. He isn't painted perfect no more than other characters, and I found myself feeling quite ambiguous about him virtually every time he was on screen. I thought the writers did an amazing job of painting this character so complexly and completely, and that the actor did a fab job of acting it.

I think the character reminds me of some of those bad boys that seemed somewhat attractive to me in my much younger life. Or else I just kinda like the actor's look. He is in the same talent agency as Martin Clunes, btw.

Please, won't somebody listen to the music in the two scenes where he is alone having a drink. The first one is the best, but the 2nd is pretty good tool

Maybe you hit the nail on the head of my reaction to the character - he is that bad boy who messed with our hearts - although in this we are supposed to think that Joan messed with his.

I agree with your comments about how well rounded the character is and the actor playing him is rather rascally good looking but I originally pointed out how old Stephanie Cole looked in S1 - he looked more his age - he was 64 in this ep.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not crazy about that episode either - although I did like the Melanie storyline. But, like a lot of others, I didn't like John Slater. He seemed "smarmy" to me, even if he did somewhat redeem himself at the end.

I think another reason it isn't my favorite is because Louisa was mostly absent. Although she did make up for it with the line about wanting to see Martin out of his suit! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    DMbesotted, not sure where you got the "poke" idea from my comments in my post about John Slater. Please note I said 1) JS did not endear himself to the audience for making bed-wetting fun to DM and 2) wound up being considered a jerk (or other similar adjective) to many of the audience even though they tried to make him have some "nobility" of character which I don't think transformed him at all.

So, I was actually agreeing with you that John Slater was not a likable character.

Overall, though, yes, I did love the episode--there were multiple other aspects which made it enjoyable for me.

Well, I guess I had some difficulty in deciphering your message.
    My comment about not liking John Slater and that episode as my least favorite was a throwaway but I should have realized that nothing here goes unscrutinized (is that even a word)

As I said in my original message, what really struck me was how old Stephanie Cole looked. There were some comments about that, but many commentors homed in on my not liking JS. Interesting....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where's NewPark?

Didn't she say something about going to PI?

And we should be on to #16 very soon now, unless DS has changed their format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh and for those of you not on the Port Wenn Effect Grpup....

Here was the question...When did LG become pregnant? (and some thought the night he woke up with the dog)

And from the forums own mmDerdekea:

His lack of equipment and clothes have been noted on the Forum and folks do wonder if he ran home and then came back--bringing condoms with him is possible.

So, I think in LG's conversation with Edith, she could have just said "It had to be the first time as we didn't use protection then", but I think that scene was set up to show Edith being overly obnoxious and prying, (I mean, doesn't that conversation take place in a HALLWAY--doctor, take your patient into the privacy of an office!), under the context of her fetus being small (which of course never played out again in the series). We saw LG very embarrassed to share that information, and I think she stumbled as a result, mentioning "all the times" instead of just the one where pregnancy obviously occurred.

And I am sorry, I seem to have deleted the one where she refers to "crazed weasel sex"

Thanks for the entertainment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

Thank you, thank you, Shop Girl for this labor of love and having just flipped through Series 2 on your Flickr pages I feel like I have a much better appreciation of the locale.

Though I am traveling to England this summer, sadly I will not be going to Cornwall, but using your lovely work I can almost feel like I've been there. Now whether there is Port Isaac or Portwenn it is hard to say. But someday I will walk those narrow and steep streets!

Rob

p.s. It was fun to find "Rump's Point." :)

p.p.s. I bet that gets a reaction!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and for those of you not on the Port Wenn Effect Grpup....

Here was the question...When did LG become pregnant? (and some thought the night he woke up with the dog)

And from the forums own mmDerdekea:

His lack of equipment and clothes have been noted on the Forum and folks do wonder if he ran home and then came back--bringing condoms with him is possible.

So, I think in LG's conversation with Edith, she could have just said "It had to be the first time as we didn't use protection then", but I think that scene was set up to show Edith being overly obnoxious and prying, (I mean, doesn't that conversation take place in a HALLWAY--doctor, take your patient into the privacy of an office!), under the context of her fetus being small (which of course never played out again in the series). We saw LG very embarrassed to share that information, and I think she stumbled as a result, mentioning "all the times" instead of just the one where pregnancy obviously occurred.

And I am sorry, I seem to have deleted the one where she refers to "crazed weasel sex"

Thanks for the entertainment

Let's do the math, shall we? JH was born 2 weeks early (we hear that in series 5 - E1). LG's testimony to Edith for their relations was "Uhm, Oct 11th and a couple of times after that."

Some work with Excel (note that human gestation is on average 40 weeks from last period):

Oct 11 minus 14 days = Sep 27 for "last period"

Plus Martin made the crass observation at the concert that she was emotional and must be ovulating. Seems the tosser was right. Holly arrives and mangles her back the next day and the day after that is rushed off to hospital while DM proposes to LG and then they sleep together.

So Sep 27 + 38 weeks (266 days) puts the birth date on June 19, assuming they were engaged in October 2011, which deals with leap year appropriately.

Somehow this seems "unromantic" to be so hard and calculating. :cry:

Rob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A rear view, hubba, hubba. :cool::)
    Oh dear, in that second link, I don't know what that blond haired girl is holding. I hope it's not Martin Cluneses potato! :eek:

Why am I craving a baked potato?

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Let's do the math, shall we? JH was born 2 weeks early (we hear that in series 5 - E1). LG's testimony to Edith for their relations was "Uhm, Oct 11th and a couple of times after that."

Some work with Excel (note that human gestation is on average 40 weeks from last period):

Plus Martin made the crass observation at the concert that she was emotional and must be ovulating. Seems the tosser was right. Holly arrives and mangles her back the next day and the day after that is rushed off to hospital while DM proposes to LG and then they sleep together.

So Sep 27 + 38 weeks (266 days) puts the birth date on June 19, assuming they were engaged in October 2011, which deals with leap year appropriately.

Rob

Yes, but it's fun, Rob. Thanks for doing the math.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Yes, but it's fun, Rob. Thanks for doing the math.

Two engineering degrees, being a father, and married to a physician helped! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member

Rob

...which means James Henry is one year old today??!!:eek::eek::D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear James Henry, happy birthday to you!!!

I love serendipity! :)

Rob
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, won't somebody listen to the music in the two scenes where he is alone having a drink. The first one is the best, but the 2nd is pretty good tool

Maybe you hit the nail on the head of my reaction to the character - he is that bad boy who messed with our hearts - although in this we are supposed to think that Joan messed with his.

I agree with your comments about how well rounded the character is and the actor playing him is rather rascally good looking but I originally pointed out how old Stephanie Cole looked in S1 - he looked more his age - he was 64 in this ep.

I just listened to the music in those two scenes and it seems like it has a very reflective tone to it, looking back and wistful is how I might describe it. Is that what you are hearing as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear James Henry, happy birthday to you!!!

I love serendipity! :)

Rob

Wow, what were the odds of this? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.