Help connecting a blu ray to a plasma without HDMI

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I need help to connect a Samsung blu ray player to a 2-year-old Bush plasma TV which doesnt have an HDMI connection.

The connections on the tv are.......

DVB Common Interface
scart x 3
s-video
AV in
PC in monitor & audio

Can it be done with any of these? :eek:

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    You don't have any HD inputs, apart from possibly VGA - so presumably it's not HD at all?. Best option would be an RGB SCART lead, but you won't get HD.

Are you sure it doesn't have Component inputs? (red, blue and green phono sockets), or a DVI socket. If it's only two years old, it should be HD Ready, and probably have HDMI.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would help if you'd give us the model number.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hi Bobcar,

This is the tv model number

bush idpdp42tv008

Hope it helps you to find a solution, thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your TV has a DVI input, no VGA and no YpBpR component video (although SCART MAY support RGB, it simply doesn't say).

Unfortunately the TV isn't HD Ready, and doesn't have sufficient resolution to allow even the most basic HD performance. It would even struggle to be a computer monitor with 852x480 resolution.

Sorry, but if you want HD you'll have to buy a new TV/Monitor.

Click Here!

For the specification, it is about £400 overpriced by today's standards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Bobcar,

This is the tv model number

bush idpdp42tv008

Hope it helps you to find a solution, thanks.
    If the DVI port supports HDCP (I couldn't find out), then a HDMI to DVI cable should work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-HDMI-DVI-Cable-Metre/dp/B000GDI6FC/

-Chris
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the DVI port supports HDCP (I couldn't find out), then a HDMI to DVI cable should work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-HDMI-DVI-Cable-Metre/dp/B000GDI6FC/

-Chris
    No, it won't. The TV doesn't even have enough resolution for 720 performance. No HDCP, it's not HD Ready.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »
    No, it won't. The TV doesn't even have enough resolution for 720 performance. No HDCP, it's not HD Ready.
    Doesn't need to.

HDCP is the only feature necessary to connect a blu-ray player to this display.

Many plasmas have strange odd resolutions - Pioneer are still selling 1024x720 displays.

-Chris
    Forum Member
    Doesn't need to.

Many plasmas have strange odd resolutions - Pioneer are still selling 1024x720 displays.

-Chris

Yes it does need to, 480 pixels is only American SD resolution, not even high enough for UK (PAL) SD resolution - completely useless for HD.

Connecting it via RGB SCART (if the player has a SCART socket?) would give the best picture, but only SD quality, as that's all the TV can display (and not even UK SD quality).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it does need to, 480 pixels is only American SD resolution, not even high enough for UK (PAL) SD resolution - completely useless for HD.

Connecting it via RGB SCART (if the player has a SCART socket?) would give the best picture, but only SD quality, as that's all the TV can display (and not even UK SD quality).
    The possibility of not noticing any improvement is irrelevant, the OP simply wants to connect their blu-ray player to their TV.

Most blu-ray players don't have SCART, and even if they do, thats hardly satisfactory, its not even progressive (not even good enough for DVD watching imo).

Many pre-HDMI TVs do infact have undocumented DVI-HDCP support. In many cases the only way to find out is to try it yourself.

-Chris
    Forum Member
    Doesn't need to.

-Chris

Hi ntlhellworld,
    So do you think I can connect this TV to a bluray?
    Forum Member
    RobAnt wrote: »
    Your TV has a DVI input, no VGA and no YpBpR component video (although SCART MAY support RGB, it simply doesn't say).

Unfortunately the TV isn't HD Ready, and doesn't have sufficient resolution to allow even the most basic HD performance. It would even struggle to be a computer monitor with 852x480 resolution.

Sorry, but if you want HD you'll have to buy a new TV/Monitor.

Click Here!

For the specification, it is about £400 overpriced by today's standards.

Hi,
    I cant see a DVI socket, only DVB common interface........or are they the same thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi ntlhellworld,
    Sorry, you'll have to buy a new TV/Monitor.
    Forum Member
    Hi ntlhellworld,

You can connect it via AV connections, or SCART (if your BluRay has it) - but the set is only SD (according to the resolution mentioned above) - so you won't get HD from it anyway. If your BluRay has S-Video this may be the best solution you have, but only an SD one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can connect it via AV connections, or SCART (if your BluRay has it) - but the set is only SD (according to the resolution mentioned above) - so you won't get HD from it anyway. If your BluRay has S-Video this may be the best solution you have, but only an SD one.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=28678371&postcount=5

And I don't know of a blu-ray player supporting RGB either, as to work at hi-def it needs component, DVI or HDMI. What is the point of a blu-ray player, other than to play Blu-Ray disks?

By definition, it doesn't support HDCP either.

The guy needs a new TV or a £30 DVD player from Tesco's.

The best course to upgrading over time is to buy the TV first, knowing that he will be able to get a blu-ray player when he is ready. He couldn't play blu-ray disks on his blu-ray player on that TV anyway. As far as I know, blu-ray players upscale DVDs but don't downscale blu-ray disks. But if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to learn something new.

A good HD TV need not be phenomenally expensive, and doesn't need to cost much more than a good blu-ray player anyway.
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget trying to connect Blu-ray to that TV, it's not a HD set. Chuck it and buy a proper HD Ready TV.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you REALLY want to connect a Blu-ray player to this TV, you'll need a HDMI to DVI cable and a 'HD Fury' adaptor which converts the picture to be viewable via VGA (PC) input and also solves the HDCP problem. HOWEVER, it won't carry any sound so you'll need a sound system of some sort.

You'll get a progressive scan picture which will look a little better than regular DVD, but if you want proper HD then it's time to upgrade your set.