Is Brendan in Hollyoaks Overrated ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    Yes. Never have understood the hype myself.

For me. this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Greatest soap character in history
  • Options
    OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    Same response as most people:
    Brendan the character overrated? Yes.
    Emmett Scanlan overrated? Oh God no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plan B wrote: »
    Greatest character ever, not just in Hollyoaks but out of all the soaps in my opinion. It also helps that Emmett J Scanlan is a brilliant actor and it has been a privilege to watch him develop the character of Brendan Brady over the past two and a bit years. I'm going to miss the little mannerisms of Brendan Brady, I also think he's the most complete character, funny, sad, violent, angry, threatening, crazy, psyhchotic, caring, Emmett J Scanlan can do it all.

This. Brendan may appear be OTT sometimes but the actor has so much charisma, he woos the viewers into forgiving him. Gonna miss him.
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Rain, how can the fanbase for an actor/character ruin them for you?

I am a Brendan fan and even I can see that some people are irrational about both the actor and the character but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of it.

About 70% of people who go on about how much they dislike Brendan/how overrated he is bring up his more vocal fans and I just don't understand what difference it can possibly make to them, do those people hate to see others being passionate about something so much that they feel the need to go on and on about it?

Letting what other people think affect your own views in that way is very strange.
  • Options
    AnthonyLAnthonyL Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I think the actor is pretty amazing, but I'll be glad to see the character go with the way he's written now as I've pretty much hated the last six months or so, save a few scenes here and there. There was a time I loved Brendan to bits. Not so much anymore. It's time for him to go. Thankfully the actor seems to know when to make a graceful exit.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Lmao. :D Yet you agreed with a post saying it has been a "privilege" to watch some panto villain in a soap opera. Funny.
    I'm sure you know my post was a flippant one but, actually, I do think Olivier was a terrible old ham, certainly as far as film acting goes.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Plan B wrote: »
    Greatest character ever, not just in Hollyoaks but out of all the soaps in my opinion. It also helps that Emmett J Scanlan is a brilliant actor and it has been a privilege to watch him develop the character of Brendan Brady over the past two and a bit years. I'm going to miss the little mannerisms of Brendan Brady, I also think he's the most complete character, funny, sad, violent, angry, threatening, crazy, psyhchotic, caring, Emmett J Scanlan can do it all.

Agree with this entirely. Brendan, as a character, was something (and still is) special not really seen in soap before. A large chunk of this is down to Emmett I'd say, he puts everything into Brendan. So no, definitely not overrated. The show will survive without him but they'll never be able to replicate what he brought to the show.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    jende wrote: »
    I don't understand the Brendan/Emmett love. When he does psycho, he's like a pantomine villain and is more funny than scary (when meaning to be scary.) When he does the 'sweet' stuff with Ste, it actually is very cringeworthy as he can't do it. The rest of the time he wanders around mumbling and trying to look hard, which he does ok. The only time I actually thought he did well was the scene with his nan on Later. I know he is really popular with HO fans, but to me I'm just not seeing why he is so great. I would say he is very overrated.

Agree with this
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I never really understand the "overrated" argument. It usually just means "lots of other people like it but I don't."

One thing Brendan is, is very popular. He has a really broad appeal that is way beyond most characters on Hollyoaks or any soap - on the Oaks, the affection for Max probably comes closest. Looking beyond the hardcore fans, he has a profile in the soap press that most characters never get, which was obvious yesterday when they announced he was leaving.

Personally, I'd say that's because as well as being weird, funny, quirky and dark (and sure, that's an acquired taste when it comes to acting - he's never bland anyway), Emmett Scanlan has always made him human, vulnerable and troubled. There's been times when the show has just reduced him to a bunch of tics, hanging round and stuffing his face etc, and that's when he hasn't convinced me. But I've never seen anything quite like the last 6 months, from Lynsey's death and Walker, through the abuse storyline, the reunion with Ste, and now the battle with his Dad, on a soap before. It's totally gripping. It's great that Emmett/Brendan is going out on a high, but I'll be sorry when it's over.

So I'm not bothered really how anyone else rates him, over or under. I just think he's brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mwig5 wrote: »
    Bring back Warren

Warren is my favourite Hollyoaks character of all time! I do like Brendan too - I'll be sad when he leaves, but not devastated.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    I'm sure you know my post was a flippant one but, actually, I do think Olivier was a terrible old ham, certainly as far as film acting goes.

Of course. :D
  • Options
    Radio.GagaRadio.Gaga Posts: 14,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not overrated at all in my opinion. I feel storylines are just so easily created around him that they have given him a lot of screen time over the years he's been there, which I may have enjoyed, but some may have not. Either way, Emmett is a fantastic actor who has put so much time and effort into making Brendan into who he is, even adding in all his little quirks and mannerisms too. He's fascinatingly weird and in some ways more human that what most other 'villains' have ever been.

I think Brendan's brilliant and yes, I may judge the actions he takes less than I may others who I don't like, but who doesn't do that when it comes to a character they love? I'm not saying what he does isn't wrong when it comes to real life, but I just don't care since he's not a real person and I enjoy watching him on screen. If he kills someone and it's a character I don't like, I couldn't care less. I like drama, not reality and Brendan bring's drama.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Brendan, but definitely yes.
    Hollyoaks always favours him over the other characters, and it has become the Brendan Brady show.
    When he's onscreen, no one seems to care about anyone else.
    The only time I really love him is when he's with Mitzeee.
  • Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overused? Probably but then so are lots of soap characters.

Overrated? No, I don't believe so. When viewers enjoy a character it's usually because they have good reason to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, definitely not!
    brendan brady was a HUGE breath of fresh air. he has got to be, with little doubt, the most interesting, complex, multi-layered, compelling, multi-dimensional and fully fleshed out character ever to grace the world of soap, and part of that is due to being played by a phenominal actor! i can't think of any other character like him. i know that i have never come across a character in soapland who can have me hooked so completely and feeling so many different emotions, so potently, and in quick succession. brendan's one of the only character's also who i genuinely have no idea what he's going to do next - and i LOVE that! others i know exactly what they're going to do or what they're going to say or react. i can see it coming a mile off and it bores me. but never brendan....he's at times batshit crazy (though very clever), has committed some terrible crimes and can be generally unstable (and cockily so, too!), but he also has these strong moralls and feelings within him that both humanise and confuse him - and that means that you're never quite sure what exactly he'll be likely to do, and also endears him.
    emmett j scanlan is exceptional. i've said it before and i'll say it again - he's easily the best actor in soap and i think is actually far too good to still be tied down in a soap, especially a small one like HO. he does literally everything. he's quirky and funny with a natural charisma that really brought brendan to life, he generally speaking has a fantastic chemistry with almost everyone he works with (which is so incredibly rare), can do high action, gritty, dangerous, darkly alluring (think early days of ste's DV storyline) and darkly troubled as he draws you in to that disturbing place of brendan's past (think dublin pub scene), high emotion that suddenly hits you in the gut and makes you feel for this poor messed up freak all over again, laugh out loud scenes, threatening scenes and even scenes that have the ability to scare you somewhat into being nervous about what's going to happen to the point where you realise you're holding your breath and can't look away.....he does everything. is it any wonder why the writers give him so much material when they have such a talent at their disposal? and such a multi-faceted character to play with? it's like any decent writer's wet dream....and is it really any wonder why he's so popular?.....i genuinely cannot think of one other tv actor who has ever had that much of an ability to have that kind of affect on me.

there are other good actors and characters in hollyoaks, but i don't think any of them even come close to brendan. claire cooper is fantastic at emotional scenes and really shines with them, but for me her character can be very hyopcritical (which is different from being a bitch/******* and accepting and owning it, because that's what you're meant to be) and i get bored of seeing her too much. perhaps it's the standard of her storylines that doesn't help. mitzeee's always enjoyable, and imo is a better character than jacqui. though neither hold a candle to brendan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never really understand the "overrated" argument. It usually just means "lots of other people like it but I don't."

One thing Brendan is, is very popular. He has a really broad appeal that is way beyond most characters on Hollyoaks or any soap - on the Oaks, the affection for Max probably comes closest. Looking beyond the hardcore fans, he has a profile in the soap press that most characters never get, which was obvious yesterday when they announced he was leaving.

Personally, I'd say that's because as well as being weird, funny, quirky and dark (and sure, that's an acquired taste when it comes to acting - he's never bland anyway), Emmett Scanlan has always made him human, vulnerable and troubled. There's been times when the show has just reduced him to a bunch of tics, hanging round and stuffing his face etc, and that's when he hasn't convinced me. But I've never seen anything quite like the last 6 months, from Lynsey's death and Walker, through the abuse storyline, the reunion with Ste, and now the battle with his Dad, on a soap before. It's totally gripping. It's great that Emmett/Brendan is going out on a high, but I'll be sorry when it's over.

So I'm not bothered really how anyone else rates him, over or under. I just think he's brilliant.

EXACTLY! i don't really get the phrase either. when something or someone is popular, it's for a reason, and so long as that reason is a genuine one (i.e there's true talent behind it) rather than a shallow one (omg they're so fit!) then i don't see how it's fair to claim they're over rated. they're simply not liked by you personally. which is fine - it's impossible to be loved or liked by everyone. universal popularity does not exist. there are even some people who will take an instant dislike to something purely because they are popular.....it's the same with everything. it's also why i always find it strange when people start up threads like "is suchandsuch the greatest ever eg.popstar the uk has ever had"......how is it possible to define that when ultimately it's all a matter of opinion.

(a side note i find interesting: the thing you mentioned about the press - very true! i was really surprised by the scope of it being reported actually. obviously it was always going to be covered by DS (where it got over 100 comments in a day, probably about 3 of which are negative...) but i wasn't expecting it to be picked up and covered in other places like The Sun!...i'd say mitzeee's probably the second most popular character on the show, and her departure was not expected, but it didn't get even near the level of response as what emmett's has. EDIT: i just did a google news search to double check this. i searched "mitzeee leaving hollyoaks" and got up 5 articles. i then searched "brendan brady leaving hollyoaks".....and got 415 search results back!! :/...widening this to a full web search and i got ~17,000 for mitzeee to ~93,000 for brendan!!!:eek:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's great with gritty Tarantino like stuff.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Excellent post above, scamrasc. You outline Brendan's appeal very effectively.