the show has sadly dipped in quality

123457»

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Eggs4evry1 wrote: »
    It's still better than big fat gypsy wedding.

What isn't !
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Is it better than the A-Team though?

That's what killed off Dr Who last time.

I must confess I switched allegiances.
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but anyone who thinks DW is a better QUALITY show now compared to series 1/2 must prefer style over substance. The show is too exposed now and even though Steven Moffat keeps saying the show isn't aimed for children, it clearly is because during the first few series (series 3 was a bit hit and miss but the quality returned in series 4) there were generally scary moments or at least not so child-like isms.

Don't get me wrong I love DW but it's just not the show it used to be.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but anyone who thinks DW is a better QUALITY show now compared to series 1/2 must prefer style over substance.

I detest series 2 and I can assure I do not prefer style over substance. Quite the opposite in actual fact.

I suppose the difference between you and me is when I wasn't enjoying the show I didn't feel the need to tell the majority of people who were still enjoying the show that they were in some way deluding themselves and/or somehow were inferior in terms of their critical judgement because they didn't share my view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I detest series 2 and I can assure I do not prefer style over substance. Quite the opposite in actual fact.

I suppose the difference between you and me is when I wasn't enjoying the show I didn't feel the need to tell the majority of people who were still enjoying the show that they were in some way deluding themselves and/or somehow were inferior in terms of their critical judgement because they didn't share my view.
    Stop reading my mind. It's unnerving! ;)
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Is it better than the A-Team though?

That's what killed off Dr Who last time.

I must confess I switched allegiances.

Anything's better than The A-Team. What a heap of cr@p that was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I detest series 2

Series 2 is also my least favourite series of New Who, although I wouldn't go so far as to say I detest it. For some reason it does seem to be the shining example of what Who should be for many Moffat-bashers though.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I think in terms of episode structure and pacing, series 2 was excellent. As for the scripts/ dialogue/ acting... could do better ;)

That said I enjoyed Rise of the Cybermen/ Age of Steel :)
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Anything's better than The A-Team. What a heap of cr@p that was.

But when I was a kid it was a lot more exciting, if ITV were to come up with something equally exciting today even more kids would desert the show I'm sure and it would become "uncool" as was the case back in the 80s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, Doctor Who is not the show it used to be. It wasn't the show it used to be when Troughton took over from Hartnell. It wasn't the show the it used to be when Pertwee took over from Troughton. It wasn't the show it used to when Tom Baker took over from Pertwee, etc. etc. etc.

By not being the show it used to be, i.e. constant re-invention, taking a different direction, etc., it's managed (with the occasional hiatus) to last for fifty years. So, not being the show it used to be is obviously a good thing. Although, also obviously, periodic changes of direction are bound to upset a minority of fans.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but anyone who thinks DW is a better QUALITY show now compared to series 1/2 must prefer style over substance.

Or it's entirely possible people still find substance in it. This is all very subjective.

Personally, I rarely see a difference between the RTD and Moffat eras. I think you're just not the age to enjoy the show anymore more than the show being at fault. The simple truth is the show shouldnt cater to a certain set of fans all of the time, it needs to endure across countless generations the same as Bond and most comic book heroes. You either "get that" and stay loyal, or you outgrow it. Your choice. It's much more fun to stay loyal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    But when I was a kid it was a lot more exciting, if ITV were to come up with something equally exciting today even more kids would desert the show I'm sure and it would become "uncool" as was the case back in the 80s.

Some in the BBC back in the eighties hated Who, so were quite happy to let it compete with popular ITV programmes, in order to have an excuse (i.e. very low ratings) to kill it off. Today, if ITV put a very popular programme up against Doctor Who, the BBC would just change the latter's time slot, and even if they didn't, Who would still get decent ratings, albeit from people watching it later on I-Player.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but anyone who thinks DW is a better QUALITY show now compared to series 1/2 must prefer style over substance.[/B] [/B]The show is too exposed now and even though Steven Moffat keeps saying the show isn't aimed for children, it clearly is because during the first few series (series 3 was a bit hit and miss but the quality returned in series 4) there were generally scary moments or at least not so child-like isms.

I'm sorry, but who exactly are you to make such definite judgements? Who are you to decide that the substance of seasons 1/2 is bigger now than today? It's nothing else than your opinion, but what gives you the right to state this opinion of yours as a fact?

As some others have mentioned season 2 is also my least favorite Who series (granted the biggest part of it is how irritating I found the character of Rose in it) and I personally found more substance in any of Moffat's episodes than in RTD's season 2. But that's just my opinion and just because it's my opinion it doesn't make it fact. Same goes for any opinion of yours.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has slipped in the 2nd half of this season, but I've got high hopes for tonight's episode so maybe the tide will start to turn.