MOSCOW - IAAF World Championships 2013

Comments

• BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, she's been good. Denise Lewis will be back with Gabby and the legend Michael Johnson for the afternoon session.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    livia123 wrote: »
    Looks like the men's decathlon is going to be an interesting competition between the two Americans - Eaton and Hardee. Sad that the British athlete Bryant is out with injury.

I reckon we'll probably hear the same later for Dasaolu, as I've not seen him run at all since that semi final a month ago.

Funny how some of the newspapers are building him up to medal contention:eek:

They're not alone in building him up

I just watched the timetable on the beeb and it had 5.15 mens 100 m heats featuring Usain Bolt and James Dasaolu .....
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Is Denise Lewis making an appearance?

Perhaps she doesn't do mornings - don't blame her. :p She is definitely out there though so I would expect to see her later.

If people are wondering where Michael Johnson is, going from twitter it looks like his Mother has passed away recently. He said he would be there from Monday though.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Perhaps she doesn't do mornings - don't blame her. :p She is definitely out there though so I would expect to see her later.

If people are wondering where Michael Johnson is, going from twitter it looks like his Mother has passed away recently. He said he would be there from Monday though.

That's really sad.
    Bosox wrote: »
    Yep, she's been good. Denise Lewis will be back with Gabby and the legend Michael Johnson for the afternoon session.

Good good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a stupid question by Phil Jones to Steve Lewis. As disappointed as he clearly is by not making the final it's hardly comparable to the death of your mother. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't know that, so sad.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    They're not alone in building him up

I just watched the timetable on the beeb and it had 5.15 mens 100 m heats featuring Usain Bolt and James Dasaolu .....
    In what way is that a 'Build Up', the BBC mentions virtually all British Athletes in their event timetables regardless of weather they are medal contenders or not.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Paula - think she's done well this year when working for the BBC

Far too much infantile fanboyism at times so yes she certainly lifts the standard.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I like Paula - think she's done well this year when working for the BBC
    Yep, she's always well informed even when not talking about distance races. I'm amazed that she hasn't retired and started up her own training school or consultancy. She's got the money!!
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    I've already swopped to Eurosport - too much yacking on the BBC :D
    Eurosport is doing its usually blanket coverage and showing as much action as possible. No looking back at past championships when live action is on.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Eurosport is doing its usually blanket coverage and showing as much action as possible. No looking back at past championships when live action is on.

But Eurosport 1 is a dedicated sports channel and therefore have more airtime to show that much of the action. Whereas, BBC One and Two are 'general purpose' channels and have show a bit of everything and therefore less airtime to play with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny watching the highlights of the 83 World Champs, we were listed as GRB rather than GBR.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    In what way is that a 'Build Up', the BBC mentions virtually all British Athletes in their event timetables regardless of weather they are medal contenders or not.

My point was where was the mention of Harry and Dwain.
    Only mentioning James infers that he is the only GB challenge

Or is he the flavour of the month.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a stupid question by Phil Jones to Steve Lewis. As disappointed as he clearly is by not making the final it's hardly comparable to the death of your mother. :mad:

Yeah I dont like when they bring up dead relatives in these sports interviews. Why upset someone?

Looks like the stadium is about 3% full :rolleyes:
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »

Its not just British athletes they are favouring. In the coverage of the long jump of the Decathlon according to the BBC coverage there were only three athletes of interest. Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee and Warner the Canadian. No coverage at all of the German Schrader who jumped furthest and moved into 2nd place
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great montage from Helsinki 1983 just played on BBC2 to music from Jean Michelle Jarre (Equinoxe part 5 I think). Can still remember that championship vividly, apparently best ever British performance with 23 top eight places if only 7 medals. But after the boycotted 80 Olympics it was just the fact that all the best in the world were there that made it special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think this is going to be an East Africa clean sweep the women's marathon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Great montage from Helsinki 1983 just played on BBC2 to music from Jean Michelle Jarre (Equinoxe part 5 I think). Can still remember that championship vividly, apparently best ever British performance with 23 top eight places if only 7 medals. But after the boycotted 80 Olympics it was just the fact that all the best in the world were there that made it special.

I love the BBC montages & I really enjoyed the piece earlier with Brendan & Seb talking through the Coe-Ovett races fro 1980.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the BBC montages & I really enjoyed the piece earlier with Brendan & Seb talking through the Coe-Ovett races fro 1980.

Reminds me that Steve Ovett used to commentate himself a few years ago but have not heard him much recently. I was in Brighton a few weeks ago and they have erected a nice action statue of him on the esplanade near Brighton pier.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Reminds me that Steve Ovett used to commentate himself a few years ago but have not heard him much recently. I was in Brighton a few weeks ago and they have erected a nice action statue of him on the esplanade near Brighton pier.

Gosh brought back memories those two races in 1980. I remember I was in Southampton and stayed on at UNi to do some additional studying and the tv room was packed to watch that 800m race. Would have been late afternoon.

The women's marathon course is a bit unimaginitive. Basically they are running up and down the same bit of river 5 times.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not just British athletes they are favouring. In the coverage of the long jump of the Decathlon according to the BBC coverage there were only three athletes of interest. Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee and Warner the Canadian. No coverage at all of the German Schrader who jumped furthest and moved into 2nd place

Everyone knows that if you want proper coverage of field events, you watch Eurosport. Even when Greg Rutherford was winning his gold medal the BBC barely covered it.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, time to get dressed and get some shopping done.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    What was it like when we had genuine contenders in field events likes Steve Backley and Jonathan Edwards?
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Only 5km gone in the Woman's Marathon and some are already struggling to cope with the conditions.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows that if you want proper coverage of field events, you watch Eurosport. Even when Greg Rutherford was winning his gold medal the BBC barely covered it.

But the BBC had one of its dedicated Olympic channels specifically to show all of the Men's Long Jump last year.
This discussion has been closed.