Options

9200 vs 8000 impulse interference?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Can anyone tell me if the 9200 is more resistant to slight impulse interference than the 8000, due to
it`s more sensitive tuner (-95 to the 8000`s -70)? How does the picture/sound on the 9200 react
to impulse interference? Does the whole picture skip a few frames and then freeze for a second (like
the 8000 annoyingly does) or does it break up in a more subtle way?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen my 9200 break up but then again I never saw my 8000 do it either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    We have both. The 9200 is much, much better in my experience. Impulse interference is barely noticeable on the 9200 - maybe just the odd couple of blocks look garbled for a fraction of a second in the middle of the screen once or twice a week while the sound seems to continue unimpeded. In contrast our 8000 does the freezing and skipping like you mention, together with a noticeable blip in sound, and more often.

AJP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    ajp558 wrote:
    We have both. The 9200 is much, much better in my experience. Impulse interference is barely noticeable on the 9200 - maybe just the odd couple of blocks look garbled for a fraction of a second in the middle of the screen once or twice a week while the sound seems to continue unimpeded. In contrast our 8000 does the freezing and skipping like you mention, together with a noticeable blip in sound, and more often.

AJP

Thanks for that very important info, AJP. My mind is now made up to get a 9200.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    ajp558 wrote:
    ... Impulse interference is barely noticeable on the 9200 - maybe just the odd couple of blocks look garbled for a fraction of a second in the middle of the screen once or twice a week while the sound seems to continue unimpeded. ...
    AJP
    Not where I live. I frequently get bad break-up of picture and sound, usually followed by the sound of a moped driving past the house. :) I also had several days of really poor reception caused by a constantly flickering failing street lamp.

But then TV reception where I live (Reading) is abysmal. My aerial is pointed at Crystal Palace, 38 miles away, with intervening high ground. The aerial and cable could both do with updating too. To be honest, I am pretty pleased with the 9200t's ability to cope with such a dodgy signal. Once that pesky modep is out of earshot, picture and sound are just about perfect!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Surely Hannington would be a closer transmitter than Crystal Palace (half the power but only 15 miles away)?
    You could also look at upgrading the cables to the aerial (CT100 or better). Until I did this I used to get breaks from my thermostat turning on or off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Surely Hannington would be a closer transmitter than Crystal Palace (half the power but only 15 miles away)?
    You could also look at upgrading the cables to the aerial (CT100 or better). Until I did this I used to get breaks from my thermostat turning on or off!

You are right. Hannington is closer, but it's also line-of-sight obstructed. Most of the TV aerials down my road point towards Crystal Palace, so I guess that it must be the better option. I'll certainly get the cables upgraded to CT100 if/when I get my aerial replaced, but for now I'm making do with the original (15-year old?) set-up.