Cats Hissing

sands11sands11 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
I got up about 3 this morning to let the cat out. As we walked into the room towards the door, he suddenley stopped and hissed.

It really frightened me, had he seen something, why do they hiss for no reason.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May be you might have freightened him. They can be funny little things sometimes
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    My dog suddenly went frantic barking with her fur up the other day, she see her reflection in the open window
    My old mum would never have sussed it out and would have said the dog see something we could not :D
  • AnniecaAnnieca Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes animals can sense and see things humans have long lost, except for that 'gut feeling' we have many's a time which i personally never go against, on the other hand the most likely reason was your cat was just getting overexcited and that was his way to let out tension, many a time my cat looks and stares up eyes fixed and you could swear somebody is at door or window but nobody is there.
  • JonyMcBJonyMcB Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I think there are a few different types of hissing.

Obviously when they are threatened they do it in big style. It's more prolonged with the body language to go with it - ears flat on the head especially and some howling.

One of my cats hisses for sport when he is pissed off with us. It's basically a "fcuk off - leave me alone" or "stop doing that" message. He doesn't seem stressed when he does it, a message telling us that he's pissed off. He is just a grumpy bugger.

It's probably normal cat attitude.

But if he does it when you touch him somewhere in particular then maybe he's in pain. A vet visit should settle your anxieties.