Options

215 in 2015

Comments

• Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    74) The boy that never was - Karen Perry
    This is a good book. A couple living in Tangier lose their son in an earthquake. They are devastated and the father has a breakdown of sorts. 5 years later and then living in Dublin, the father is convinced he sees his son in the street.
    I'll not say more as that would spoil the plot, but worth a read.
  • Options
    Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    6) Us - David Nicholls 8/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    75) in certain circles- Elizabeth Harrower
    This book was supposed to be about intense family relationships in Australia but I'm afraid it was lost on me and having just read all 256 pages I am none the wiser
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really read much non fiction, but I'm going to download this to my Kindle if you recommend it. I remember hearing about this on the news a few years ago, and thinking what a traumatic experience it must have been.

Yes the story is incredible. She found herself in an appalling situation. Was going to say hope you enjoy it but enjoy isn't the right word
  • Options
    syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6. Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum #19) by Janet Evanovich – Stephanie and Lula are trying to track down someone who disappeared from a hospital overnight, and Stephanie is also helping Ranger by acting as security for him, because he and a military buddy have been receiving death threats. I thought this book was an improvement over the last several books and the Ranger vs. Morelli debate seemed to advance.

7. Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum #20) by Janet Evanovich – Stephanie goes after Uncle Sunny, a relative of Joe, and receives a lot of flak for it from just about everyone in town, especially Sunny’s relatives. She also works to track down a serial killer who is targeting elderly women. The mysteries were good, but the way the characters were portrayed irritated me.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18. The Stranger House by Reginald Hill, narrated by Gordon Griffin.
    A feisty red-haired Australian mathematician (female), and a Spanish former trainee Catholic priest (male), both arrive in the sinister & remote village of Illthwaite, Cumbria; she in connection with family history investigation, and he to carry out research for his thesis on the subject of recusancy. The close knit village community, families whose roots in the village go back centuries, are not eager to divulge secrets. Plenty of twists and turns follow involving the topics of the forced migration of children to Australia in the 60s, and the persecution of Catholics five hundred years ago in Elizabethan England.

I chose this book because I read and enjoyed The Woodcutter last year. I thought that this story got off to a slow start and at first I found the character of Sam Flood to be quite abrasive.The pace picked up as the story progressed, there were a few clunky bits here and there relating to maths and to spooky apparitions, but on the whole a good listen with plenty going on. Not quite as good as The Woodcutter.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Secret Place - Tana French
    2. The Outcast Dead - Elly Griffths
    3. False Impression - Jeffrey Archer
    4. The Sweetest Hallelujah - Elaine Hussey
    5. The Octopus Nest - Sophie Hannah
    6. As the Crow Flies - Damien Boyd
    7. The Sea Detective - Mark Douglas Home
    8. The Woman who walked into the Sea - Mark Douglas Home
    9. Wonder - the Julian chapter - RJ Palacio
    10. Don't stand so close - Luana Lewis
    11. Pictures or it didn't happen - Sophie Hannah
    12. Only Time Will Tell - Jeffrey Archer
    13. Stranded - Emily Barr
    14. Broken Dolls - James Carol
    15. Elizabeth is missing - Emma Healey
    16. The Sins of the Father - Jeffery Archer
    17. Penpal - Dathan Auerbach
    18. The Crossing Places - Elly Griffiths
    19. The Janus Stone - Elly Griffiths
    20. The House at Sea's End - Elly Griffiths
    21. A Room Full of Bones - Elly Griffiths

22. The Lord God Made Them All - James Herriott

7/10 - A nice, relaxing read and a departure from the thrillers I have been reading recently.It's the last book in the series of the Yorkshire vet and there are some lovely anecdotes about his patients and their owners. The problem with this book was the editing - the proof reader should be sacked as there were so many errors especially in the last 1/4 of the book.
  • Options
    DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    11. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
    12. Post Office - Charles Bukowski
    13. Etta and Otto and Russell and James
    14. Joyland - Stephen King
    15. The Last Banquet - Jonathan Grimwood (6.5/10)
    Quite an odd little book for me, not something I would normally go for. The writing is good and the story kept me interested. Although I can't say if I enjoyed it or not! The novel is set in France and follows the life of Jean-Marie d'Aumout from orphan to soldier to spy. His obsession with killing and eating an assortment of different animals made me feel a bit ill (three snake bouillabaisse etc!)
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    2) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
    A must read for any Christie fans. Has all the usual fine qualities contained within this Poirot novel.

3) Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
    A good read but not in the same class as Metro 2033. The plot does not have the same bite and interest, also the claustrophobic atmosphere is not generated as well also. There is a lot less threat and intrigue. But still a worthwhile post apocalyptic read.

4) The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
    Another well regarded title, and I was gripped. A book that's so wrong its right, a view of the world from a teenager killer who thinks he is sane and has so little regard for human life. This bizarre macabre existence is described with such skill coupled with the authors sharp dry humour, make this such a effortless book to read.

5) The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
    First of the Saxon series following Uhtred a boy whos life would intertwine with Alfred the Great. Much like the authors Grail books, the period is so well sketched out and the detail given in how the characters live and fight. It is always the main attraction when reading this authors books for me. Quite heavy on the battles in this one but still enough in the book for me to want to read the next installment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    76) Presumed Dead - Shirley Wells
    This is about an ex-cop turned PI called Dylan Scott who is asked to try and find out what happened to a woman who disappeared 13 years previously. Surprisingly good and I have downloaded a few more

77) Wild - Cheryl Strayed
    True story of a woman who hiked - mostly on her own - 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail in California and Oregon. She was coming to terms with the premature death of her mother and her divorce. Amazing story of the woman's inner strength, and following the walk she has gone on to bigger and better things in the States. Hard to feel completely sympathetic as she was a heroin user and had a self destructive streak but incredible resilience and inner strength

78) Ships, shoes and Maggiemou - Maggie Thorpe
    I like cruising for my holiday, and use cruise forums regularly. This woman is a bit of a character on the forums and she writes about her world cruises. Her book was over £7 on Amazon and with quite a lot of errors and most definitely not worth the money, however I picked it up as a freebie. I read it in horror and would really not be happy meeting this lady on a cruise as she is quite full on. I think it would be fair to say that I read this in a sort of fascinated horror! Its a shame the lady is so critical as her actual travel writing is quite interesting
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    11. Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson.
  • Options
    Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14) Echo Burning by Lee child
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    15) The Doomsday Testament by James Douglas 8/10

The pen name of Douglas Jackson, the author of the Gaius Valerius Verrens roman novels.

This is a fun boys own adventure novel full of Nazis, underground bunkers, Chinese assassins, lost artwork and more.

Good series starter, raised above the usual standard of this genre by the authors immensely readable writing style.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13 Wanabes by Michael Logan (6/10)

Comic novel about a mentally unstable man who believes he can sing is led astray by a demon who persuades him that famous people get their fame by way of mystical tatoos. he then goes about trying harvest these, turning himself into a serial killer on the way.

Definitely based around modern popular culture including a Simon Cowel figure and an X Factor style show this author definitely does not like these types of shows or music. I really liked his first novel Appocolypse Cow, so had high hopes for this. Didn't quite hit the mark though, all seemed a little obvious in places.

14. Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. 6.5/10

After all the hype I thought I would give this a go, especially as it was discounted on Amazon. It was ok, however nothing particularly special and doesn't make me want to read any other of her books. Also a little confusing in that it is written in a diary style, however one of the entries could only have been made after the death of the charachter.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

23. Dying Fall - Elly Griffiths
    9/10 - The 5th in the series featuring the forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway and DCI Harry Nelson - one of the best stories of the series. In this book the setting was Blackpool and the surrounding areas rather than Norfolk. The story itself was brilliant but I deducted the a mark because of some of the cliches that people from the south think about us northerners!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    79) Dead Silent - Shirley Wells
    The second book in the series about P.I. Dylan Scott - again a good read

80) Glass Half Full - Sarah Jane Butfield
    I love travel stories and this was about a couple and one of their children emigrating to Australia. I liked bits of it but the family really annoyed me - they go over on the wife's visa as a nurse but she stops nursing at the first chance and they try to live of a business they set up working 2 days a week. It seemed to me they wanted the dream for not much effort. They end up bankrupt as they didn't have flood insurance (which seems mad). Throw in stories of not talking to some of their children and it all seems very dysfunctional. They move to France and she has written about that but I don't think I'll bother with that one

81) The Accidental Life of Greg Millar - Aimee Alexander
    Quite a could read about a family living with mental illness
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    12.Wycliffe and the Three Toed Pussy by WJ Burley.

This was a bit dated to be honest, maybe because it was written in the sixties. I may read more Wycliffes to see if he becomes more likeable. The tv Wycliffe seemed much fairer and more open minded.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    19. The Secret History by Donna Tartt 8/10.

a group of greek students kill one of their group to stop him revealing a secret. The book leads us through each of the protagonists through the narrator, Richard and explores their reasoning and their relationships with each other. Not a book I would normally choose. It was recommended to me. I enjoyed it and found it an easy read but thought the ending very poor.

20. The Janus stone by Elly Griffiths. 9/10.

Ruth Galloways relationship with Nelson ramps up. I love this series, not only the two stars but also the smaller characters.

21. The House at Seas End by Elly Griffiths 8/10.

More revelations in the stars relationship. The bones this time belong to soldiers. Im not sure this story was believeable but I especially enjoyed judy and cathbads storylines. Have got the next book ready to read.

22. Captivated by You by Sylvia Day 6/10.

Eva has Gideon Cross but still has history witg Brett. Cross begins opening up about his past to those in his life. I like the characters but the books are going downhill. I wish Day had done what EL James did and just leave it as a trilogy. I think there will be another book which I will read to round it off but its certainly not one I will rush for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    79)

81) The Accidental Life of Greg Millar - Aimee Alexander
    Quite a could read about a family living with mental illness

my typing is getting worse

should have said good read
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    82) The Man Who Left - Theresa Weir
    Story of a family who suffered as a result of the parents being extremely selfish. The daughter visits the dad years later when he has Alzheimer's and it makes her look back on her life. I enjoyed this

83) The Girl on The Train - Paula Hawkins
    Definitely not worth the hype. Predictable outcome and was getting very fed up with Rachel!
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    1. Elephants Can Remember - Agatha Christie
    2. Lonely Planet India
    3. Is Everyone Hanging Out With Me? (And Other Concerns)
    4. Southeast Asia on a Shoestring
    5. One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories - BJ Novak
    6. They Came to Baghdad - Agatha Christie
    7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson
    8. Poirot's Early Cases - Agatha Christie
    9. The Hundred-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson
    10. Skipping Christmas - John Grisham

11. Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
    12. Moulin Rouge - Pierre la Mure
    13. Lonely Planet Sri Lanka
    14. Beyond Desire - Pierre la Mure
    15. High-Rise - JG Ballard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    23. Dying Fall - Elly Griffiths

24. The Ghost Fields - Elly Griffiths
    10/10 - 7th in the series about the forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway and DCI Harry Nelson; this time centering around the Blackstock family and a WW2 plane complete with the body of a pilot found on their land. An interesting twist in chapter 10 that I definitely didn't see coming! Nelson's sidekick Clough features more in this book and it's good to get to know him better as a character. Sad to finish this as I've now got to wait for the author to write another in the series.
    Now I'm starting The Girl on the Train to see what all the fuss is about!
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19. The Martian by Andy Weir, narrated by R. C. Bray.

A mission to Mars goes badly wrong when a dust storm causes the crew to make an emergency departure from the planet. One member of the crew is left behind, presumed dead. Mark Watney has no means of communicating with earth and has very limited supplies of food, water and oxygen. The book is primarily a log of his struggle to survive.

There's a lot of technical detail, most of which went way over my head, but the story is told in an engaging way and Watney is a likeable character and relentlessly cheerful. A good listen.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14. Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. 6.5/10

After all the hype I thought I would give this a go, especially as it was discounted on Amazon. It was ok, however nothing particularly special and doesn't make me want to read any other of her books. Also a little confusing in that it is written in a diary style, however one of the entries could only have been made after the death of the charachter.......

15. The Stranger - Harlan Coben - 7/10

Not one of his best but not bad. A stranger approaches a man one day and reveals a secret about his wife that sends his life into chaos. He has to try to discover the truth of situation with his wife and about the strager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    19. The Martian by Andy Weir, narrated by R. C. Bray.

A mission to Mars goes badly wrong when a dust storm causes the crew to make an emergency departure from the planet. One member of the crew is left behind, presumed dead. Mark Watney has no means of communicating with earth and has very limited supplies of food, water and oxygen. The book is primarily a log of his struggle to survive.

There's a lot of technical detail, most of which went way over my head, but the story is told in an engaging way and Watney is a likeable character and relentlessly cheerful. A good listen.

Have just bought this - sounds different!