Coat zip broken - where to get it repaired/replaced?

phasesphases Posts: 255
Forum Member
I have a coat and the zip is broken. Where do I go to get it repaired/replaced and how much is it likely to cost me? I'm not sure whether it's the whole zip that's broken and needs to be replaced or just the tab/slider that needs replacing.

Comments

• gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Some dry cleaners do repairs and alterations. Obviously find out how much they will charge as it may not be worth the cost.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a hoodie. It cost me £30 originally. The very bottom part of the zip broke, the small plastic bit at the bottom that slots in. I took it to a shop for a quote. £35!!!

Nah mate. I could buy a new one for that price and get a fiver change!!!

So I simply sewed the bottom together, now I put it on like a jumper, over my head.

Be prepared for a shock on the price.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not much to replace
  • phasesphases Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    My coat cost around £35 and I've had it for about a year and a bit. Was thinking whether it's worth spending money getting it repaired/replaced since the coat isn't very expensive, but I do quite like the coat. Also, the coat zip and the tab/glider is a gold colour - if it needs replacing, I would like it replaced in the same colour, so would I need to buy the zip myself and give it to them to replace or would they be able to supply it?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phases wrote: »
    My coat cost around £35 and I've had it for about a year and a bit. Was thinking whether it's worth spending money getting it repaired/replaced since the coat isn't very expensive, but I do quite like the coat. Also, the coat zip and the tab/glider is a gold colour - if it needs replacing, I would like it replaced in the same colour, so would I need to buy the zip myself and give it to them to replace or would they be able to supply it?

You should just buy a new coat
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Unless it's something like a Barbour then it probably isn't economically worth having it repaired. If it is a Barbour then you will need to send it back to the manufacturer.

Weren't Barbour zips guaranteed for the life of the coat, by the way?
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a Dunelms near us (that is a fabric shop if u haven't heard of it) and they have cards up from seamstresses to try
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you can sew I wouldn't bother. You can get a replacement zip for a fiver of eBay but having it fitted will be at £20
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would cost but depends on item I've got a Dunlop work jacket that pockets are ripped and as they aren't made anymore repair is only option
    If u can pick one up that u r happy with your pounds in
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not google Seamstress for your area, or look up yell.com? Alternative titles - "clothes repairs", "cloth alterations", etc etc

Cost will depend on how long the coat it, what type of material, what type of zip, what type of thread - esp if it's a waterproof one.
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Zip Yard is the place to go if you have a branch nearby.
    I have thrown away alot of nice clothes because I couldn't get them fixed before Zip Yard opened up in our town.
    The are not cheap, but I had a zip replaced on a skirt I loved (think it was about £15) and they made a good job of it. According to them, there is a big quality difference in zip brands and they used the best, so it should last.
    It's up to you whether it's worth paying that sort of money, but whatever you mend you are keeping out of landfill.