Options

Tomorrow is world book day. What is your favourite book?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    As a child I loved Mrs Pepperpot books by Alf Proysen ... plus so many others too but these top my list.
  • Options
    Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't decide between The Outsider by Albert Camus; Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh; Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald and the Wodehouse Jeeves and Blandings series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pickwick Papers.
    My first Dickens and still my favourite

One of my favourite comfort reads and was also my first Dickens read - good choice:)
    I currently feel like I'm doing too much rereading of old favourites because I can't find something new that really grabs me, so although I wish I could suggest something original, I'd probably go for this one, too, or maybe The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    before i saw this i was looking on amazon and they were all £30-40 each :o
    That is cheap compared to what I have had to pay for some of Noel Streatfeild's adult books. I have paid nearly £100 for some. However they are now being reprinted by various companies at a normal price.

Be careful with EBay prices and always look on the above sites first. Other places to try are Topsy-Turvey books and Abe books (although Abe books can also be expensive). Good luck with your hunting.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich'.

The OH picked it up in a charity shop years ago, it's only a slim book and I read it, through in bed that night. The translation by Willetts (the only one approved by Solzhenitzyn)

I have read it so many times I practically know it word for word.

If one reads the book, follow it by watching the film with Tom Courtney (it's on youtube) and follows the book as accurately as is possible.

A close second is 'Sharpes Sword'. I have read and still have in box all the Sharpe novels and, for me, this is the best of the lot.

Honourable mentions go to 'The Last Family in England' and 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime'
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is your favourite book?
    If you were on a desert island and could only have one book what would your choice be?

These are two different questions really.
    For a desert island I would want either something practical, or something that would last me a long time.
    But today my favourite book is Cold Comfort Farm.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    It's a tie between Jane Austen's Persuasion and Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters.