People paid to post Anti BBC messages on this forum?

TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,788
Forum Member
A friend of mine was recently offered a job working for a "media organisation". Part of his job would have been to monitor various bulletin boards and it was "suggested" that they encouraged employees (during work time) to post positive comments about his company and start negative threads about the rivals, in particular the BBC.

Anyone else heard of this?

Comments

• razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine was recently offered a job working for a "media organisation". Part of his job would have been to monitor various bulletin boards and it was "suggested" that they encouraged employees (during work time) to post positive comments about his company and start negative threads about the rivals, in particular the BBC.

I have no evidence either way, (how can you prove a negative) but would certainly not be surprised, that is why I tend to take exaggerated and unsubstantiated highly partial claims with great caution.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Many messageboards seem to allow anti-BBC trolling to go unpunished too.
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's definately Sky employees on the board, and Virgin one's openly admit who their employer is in many cases.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have heard rumours of this sort of thing.

Certainly not everything is how it seems. I remember the Big Brother forum was suddenly influxed with racist comments and it was traced back to a BNP website.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    Sirius wrote: »
    There's definately Sky employees on the board, and Virgin one's openly admit who their employer is in many cases.

If people declare an interest that is absolutely fine, it is useful to have their information. the deceit is where the interest is not declared
  • DocumentaryFanDocumentaryFan Posts: 3,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a slightly different take on this.

Public broadcasters like the BBC "belong" to the people. They are both funded and "owned" by ordinary citizens. It is only natural that any missteps committed by public broadcasters generate more negative comments that similar missteps on some commercial channel in which the general public doesn't really hold a stake. This isn't a British phenomenon; it happens throghout Europe and beyond.

If you appreciate the BBC, don't try to silence criticism (as poster #3 suggested), even when it's unfair, because doing that is fundmentally counterproductive (besides, people who pay the license fee certainly have the right to complain). Instead, point out what the BBC does well -- and there's plenty of this to help make your case.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    It really wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, commercial media is full of dirty tricks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    in the real world a company will not waste money and time on something that has no point. Sky v Virgin may well have professional posters as image = customers = cash.

The BBC are likely to post as they are funded by the TV tax that makes criminals out of the poor, so have no need to get a return on investment

But why would this 'company' want to bother? Whats the benifit - in cash terms - for it to do so?

Most threads are about the TV tax, left wing bias and waste of money; Private companies will not spend money on these issues.

In fact topic starter 'discussion' posts like yours that seek to undermine discussion itself rather than make a point about an organisation are a common tool of professional posters.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is a new low.

Talk about paranoia.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do we know you are not a BBC plant? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 438
    Forum Member

Highly unlikely.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    I can confirm what the OP says, having been approached on the issue at my last job. Although the targets (for the "monitoring") were issue led and not focussed on just the BBC. One specific issue was the way that the company I worked for was being portrayed by business journalists on the BBC and Sky. I of course, refused.

I think it highly likely, that companies would use high-impact forums like DigitalSpy to promote themselves. I'm certain that a recent thread complaining about the non-stop promotion of a programme, that no-one had heard of, was a piece of marketing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,364
    Forum Member

To be honest it would start to explain some things. Recently there has been a rather worrying tendency for a small number of posters to take a story and spin it as a positive for the company they support and negative for any rivals.

Some of this spinning is so blatant and unbelievable that I really have trouble believing they are just "fan-boys".
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Many messageboards seem to allow anti-BBC trolling to go unpunished too.

So many people complain about the BBC not only on message boards but in papers and on radio and TV you wouldn't need to pay them. The BBC itself runs several programmes where it takes the flak:eek:
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as everyone knows, i get paid by the BBC to slander posters and try to convince people that they're talking nonsense.

Iain
  • Formula1MadFormula1Mad Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am paid to type in funny and amusing posts into Digital Spy. They pay me £2 for each time i make someone laugh. I have been a member for 4 months and so far have earned £1.10 :o:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    So many people complain about the BBC not only on message boards but in papers and on radio and TV you wouldn't need to pay them. The BBC itself runs several programmes where it takes the flak:eek:

The BBC has an internal intranet forum (talk.gateway) where staff `have a go` at `the BBC` too.
    And praise it when praise is due.

Can't think of many (any?) other big companies that allows it staff to abuse the managment.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    I'm certain that a recent thread complaining about the non-stop promotion of a programme, that no-one had heard of, was a piece of marketing.

You can spot all the posts and threads that are clearly made by people working for broadcasters or production companies a mile off.
  • well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    You can spot all the posts and threads that are clearly made by people working for broadcasters or production companies a mile off.

great, can you tell me how please? i want to avoid them.
  • DieDieMyDarlingDieDieMyDarling Posts: 4,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am paid to type in funny and amusing posts into Digital Spy. They pay me £2 for each time i make someone laugh. I have been a member for 4 months and so far have earned £1.10 :o:cry:

You're overpaid. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One thing that is painfully obvious from this forum and others is that those working for the BBC will never say anything against their employer; they would even support the Beeb if the corporation defended bubonic plague.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're overpaid. :D

With my current success rate i'll soon be owing them money :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GH Online wrote: »
    One thing that is painfully obvious from this forum and others is that those working for the BBC will never say anything against their employer; they would even support the Beeb if the corporation defended bubonic plague.

BBC news has just reported that an outbreak of bubonic plague has started. Huw Edwards says bubonic plague is great :eek:
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it funny how sensitive the 'BBC can do no wrong' brigade is to criticism of the BBC. It's okay to criticise Sky, ITV and other firms but not the BBC. Given that people are forced to pay for the BBC and its services whether you want them or not, I find threads like this a bit rich!
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    epsom wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how sensitive the 'BBC can do no wrong' brigade is to criticism of the BBC. It's okay to criticise Sky, ITV and other firms but not the BBC. Given that people are forced to pay for the BBC and its services whether you want them or not, I find threads like this a bit rich!

And on the flip side there's the "anti" brigade who don't even watch TV but get all their "information" from the Daily Mail!