• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acid? The time will simply fly by.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    It kind of defeats the object of not going out drinking if all I'm gonna do is replace it something that's gonna cost me two or three times as much. I might be healthier but I'll also have no money left

I want to give up drinking for two reasons. 1) because I'm fed up of feeling like crap the following day and 2) I'm spending way too much on alcohol. I still want to go out and do non alcohol related stuff but the point is to save money so we can put the money towards a nice holiday.

I see the point in avoiding those things if you also want to save money, but maybe it's worth allocating a certain amount of the money you would be spending on drink on new activities for a few months to help you break the habit of going to the pub?

I'd also argue that even if you aren't financially richer, the benefits to your health will be worth it, and once you get used to feeling better, not going to the pub will come more naturally.

By the look of things, you need a hobby. The danger is that a lot of clubs and societies can be very sociable, so end up going out for drinks sooner or later, but that's still better for your health and wallet than going to the pub every night. It's also a lot more interesting.

Evening classes are a good idea, as they have them in most areas, and a language class would tie in nicely with your holidays plans. Whatever you pick, it's nice to try something new. I've done all sorts over the years, including languages, cooking, local history and even car maintenance!

Presumably you don't need to get out every night. It's more a case of getting out often enough so that when you are at home, you appreciate it more.

If you have a young son, it might pay off to volunteer with something like the Beavers or an equivalent. They are always looking for extra helpers, and it means when your son is old enough, you can be sure of getting him a place.

It's almost too obvious to mention, but do you have a library ticket? One thing better than a good book is a free good book. If you can get (back) into the habit of reading, it is a great way to pass the time. If you are out of the habit of reading, you probably need some good book suggestions from people who know you. Ask around at work to see what people have been reading, and with a bit of luck, you'll get offered a few free loans and find an author or series you can get stuck into.

Good luck! :D
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    cycling, cricket, croquet, canoeing, kayaking, tennis, chess, bridge, bowls, rowing, am dram, walk (the dog), orienteering, geocaching, sos bus, voluntary groups, distance learning, gardening, flower arranging, scouts, guides, bee keeping, free outdoor gym.

Geocaching is the best! :)

Me and some friends went and did that instead of sitting in a pub garden last weekend and had so much fun!
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not go to the pub for the social aspect but stick to soft drinks?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I've been drinking too much recently and it's starting to become a problem but I'm finding it hard to think of stuff to do in the evenings that doesn't involve going to the pub and thought perhaps you could help give me some ideas of things to do to avoid being around the booze.

I wake up in the morning with all best intentions of not having a drink that day but come the evening I'm realty ratty if I can't go out. I have started to drink more and more and think I'm borderline of becoming dependent on going out for a drink. I just hate staying in looking at the same 4 walls especially when I've been stuck in all day looking after my little one and doing housework.

Trouble is there's not a lot of activities to do in the evenings to avoid alcohol. I can go for a meal but usually there's a temptation of having a drink with it. I guess I can go ten pin bowling but it's stupidly expensive and only lasts about an hour. My wife wont go ice skating but I keep trying to persuade her. I'm not much for going to the cinema as I find sitting and watching films quite boring. I already walk about 4 miles a day walking my son to nursery and back so not really keen on doing any more walking.

What else can you think of that I can do in the evenings? I'd like some ideas please. Hopefully something that will last the entire evening and not just something to do for an hour so I wont be tempted to go for a drink afterwards.

Argue the toss on DS ? ^_^

Hey, it works for me :kitty:
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    How much do you spend in the pub? You say bowling is too expensive but how much roughly do you spend on drink?

You could pick a hobby that you can throw yourself into that you only do 2-3 times a week and spend the other nights in with your family. You dont have to be out every day to avoid going to the pub.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogging or fishing.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    What interests did you have before you had your son, apart from pubs? Did you have anything that you can take up, again?
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Geocaching is the best! :)

Me and some friends went and did that instead of sitting in a pub garden last weekend and had so much fun!
    Seconded, awesome fun.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learn to dance.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indoor Skydiving

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/indoor-skydiving-experience-with-dvd-photo-for-1-23-65-off-amazon-local-1954585#comments

I went the other day in Milton Keynes, good fun

There's also things like indoor ski slopes

Or maybe you could combine the two and just build a flying indoor snowman.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote:
    What else can you think of that I can do in the evenings? I'd like some ideas please. Hopefully something that will last the entire evening and not just something to do for an hour so I wont be tempted to go for a drink afterwards.

Maybe ask your friends if they want to play football, cricket, basketball. A lot of parks have plenty of space and areas to play sports and some even have gym equipment you could try.

Maybe write some short stories and you could send them into magazines.

You could make some xmas cards, your son could help you.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was at school we played chess in the North Circular League, and some of the matches were in hired pub rooms. I was once offered a drink and said I would have one, and because I had no idea what to ask for, I said 'Stout' since it was a thing I had heard of. I think I got Mackeson.

Since then I went in a pub once about twenty years ago on holiday, to buy cigarettes, and once fairly recently because I was famished and was served a pizza. So I do not know what people in pubs actually do.

My favourite evening out is definitely going to the greyhound racing in Bristol but tragically it has been closed and the land is now occupied by an IKEA shop. I suppose I could sort of do it by proxy by going to a betting shop, but I would not know what to do. The OP is very likely to have a community centre not far away and there will be plenty of things to do.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    * Evening class - there are plenty to choose from. You might qualify for a fee reduction.
    * Join your local Amateur dramatics society
    * Go out walking
    * Take up jogging
    * Volunteer
    * Pick a programming language and learn it ( might fit under evening classes but it's not that difficult to teach yourself)
    * Join a local society, so you can go out and meet people. (if you don't like amateur dramatics)
    * Go to the library and start reading more
    * Make a blog, you've normally got lots to talk about. This might keep you busy.
    * Get a youtube channel and promote yourself, choose an interesting enough angle for a show and you could make money out of it.
    * Take up knitting
    * Gardening - if youve not got a big garden apply for an allotment.
    * Trainspotting
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd avoid going to the pub to drink soft drinks. It'll be too tempting, and being a sober person surrounded by drinkers isn't much fun anyway. The conversations sound stupid, people seem very loud and they laugh at things that aren't that funny.

I also agree with you about cinema - it's expensive and, like you, I'm not much of a film fan. In fact I find about 90% of films boring.

You need an active hobby, whether it's gardening, swimming, or learning something at a night class. Something to get you out of the house two or three nights a week.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ham radio is a great hobby and the basic foundation license is very simple to pass. Save the money your spending on booze and you'll soon have enough for a small 'rig'.

I also suggest you go and have a chat with your GP about you drastically cutting down on alcohol.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Dogging

Ha ha, awsome