The Commonwealth Games 2014 Broadcasting Thread

Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
Forum Member
Own thread needed given the other one is merely a moaning one?

Comments

• Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Are there any non commonwealth countries showing this?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »
    Apparently Eurosport (not the British version) is showing a highlights programme every day.
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I didn't have BBC TV I wouldn't even know this was on. Most non commonwealth countries couldn't care less I'd say.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

CBS Sports Network is airing highlights
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claims on the BBC that a billion people will be watching are ludicrous.There are only 53 Commonwealth countries as opposed to 220 Olympics countries and territories.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Claims on the BBC that a billion people will be watching are ludicrous.There are only 53 Commonwealth countries as opposed to 220 Olympics countries and territories.

I just read that as up to a billion people could potentially watch.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even Last Week Tonight with John Oliver aired a "Commonwealth Games: Why do they still exist?" segment this week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »

I think that figure is based on the assumption that every single person in every Commonwealth country is watching when we know perfectly well they won't be as there will be other channels available to them.Anyhow good luck to them I hope they have a great Games but I don't think we're in Olympics territory here.
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    They had scheduled on the Red Button Opening Ceremony without commentary which I'd have tuned in to but it seems to have been removed. :(
  • SealateSealate Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Opening ceremony???? Just BBC selfie yakkety yak.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is BBC3 extending its hours on freeview for the Commonwealth Games?
  • cuttysarkcuttysark Posts: 1,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put the kids channel onto a different frequency/transponder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I think they take time off BBC Parliament, as Parliament is now on it's summer break.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont get why the BBC decided that they would tag the build up to the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony as part of the opening ceremony?
    There is so much build up that its getting a little boring, but I dont know when they are starting proper so I dont even know when to come back!
    Would it not have been a simple enough thing for the BBC top label the build up as something else to the actual opening ceremony?
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Putting a kids channel onto a different frequency/transponder begs the question where is the space for that coming from.

Taking time off BBC Parliament makes sense, but the Radio Times claims the channel is continuing during those hours.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did this really need a new thread? There's a broadcasting thread which fits this 'opinion post' fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Putting a kids channel onto a different frequency/transponder begs the question where is the space for that coming from.

Taking time off BBC Parliament makes sense, but the Radio Times claims the channel is continuing during those hours.

Red Button 301 is running with reduced hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sealate wrote: »
    Opening ceremony???? Just BBC selfie yakkety yak.

I started a thread about the long build up and the fact its been tagged on as if its part of the ceremony here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73868988&postcount=1

But I was told that I should have said something in this thread!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »

It's like the figures given for lots of big events, Miss World, Oscars, American Football final etc etc. They seem to total up the population in each country it is being shown.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I started a thread about the long build up and the fact its been tagged on as if its part of the ceremony here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73868988&postcount=1

But I was told that I should have said something in this thread!

The Olympic opening ceremony coverage started over an hour before that actual start of the ceremony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is BBC3 extending its hours on freeview for the Commonwealth Games?

I think you might want to read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Making-the-most-of-summer-2014-on-Red-Button
    It says about red button coverage and where to find it but also explains how BBC 3 is extending its hours and no its not from BBC Parliament like others have said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The Olympic opening ceremony coverage started over an hour before that actual start of the ceremony.

Yes but the build up to that was labelled as something else on the EPG, so when it said Olympic Opening Ceremony on the EPG it was the actual event not the build up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was there a caption saying commentary by Muriel Gray and John Beattie ? BBC Scotland were taking Hazel Irvine and Huw Edwards.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBBC HD daytime is being used for BBC3 HD

CBBC SD is going off to Red Button SD, so that BBC3 SD can get that CBBC SD space in daytime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was there a caption saying commentary by Muriel Gray and John Beattie ? BBC Scotland were taking Hazel Irvine and Huw Edwards.

Presumably world feed commentators. Note the graphics were that of the 'host broadcaster' rather than BBC.