The time has come for DW fans to unite..and stop Yates!

The KarinaThe Karina Posts: 51
Forum Member
Okay personally I think David Yates is a decent director. I myself am a big fan of the Harry Potter movies. However if he does do a Doctor Who movie then he SHOULD keep the continuity going from the current series.

I am a young Doctor Who fan and love the continuity between the current "revived" series and the "classic" series. Even though I wasn't alive at the time of the "classic" series I love the fact that it is the same Doctor from 1963 as of now. If David Yates dares to reboot the doctor it will be an insult to not just old and new fans, but the actors who have played him in the past and present.

The fantastic thing about Doctor Who is that era's, actors, setting, writers, and directors change, however keep the same long story going. Russell T. Davis managed to keep the continuity, so why can't Yates?

So now is the time to prove ourselves as fans and stop this nonsense from going on. It is time to save the doctor!

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit, as bad ideas go, this is right up there with getting involved in land wars in Asia and Sicilians when death is on the line.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am waiting till more details emerge before I make an opinion on anything connected to this. Last I heard was it was true there is a movie in the works but as yet no crew had been approached and at the moment all rumours of Yates and that it is going to be a reboot are just that, rumours.

I think we need to wait for more solid confirmations about what is going to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    http://www.change.org/petitions/bbc-do-not-allow-a-doctor-who-film Sign it i hear this is a petition to siign against the idea.

im not a harry potter fan at all.so its even worse to me.but think,his writing of the 2 films would be different.still i dont want it to happen and wouldnt support it

its clearly a money grabber film,which is understandable to make money but thats not what doctor who used to be about

and hear its more a american thing to get a bigger fan base over there,which if true has nothing to entice me.but if its yrs away then we will have to see

i really dont see the point though
  • King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't get too worried yet. There are rumours every few years about there being a DW film - has been for decades - and nothing ever comes of them. It's a long, rocky road between someone in the industry taking an interest/writing some ideas; and it actually getting made.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Yes - a film being "in development" is no sign that a film will ever get "in a cinema".

(and also - not signing up to object to the idea of one anyway. Just for clarity. edit: Just also adding - Campaign against possibility of a film terrible idea. Get a grip.)
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    A petition is ridiculous. More proof that some fans believe Doctor Who is their own personal property.
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo21nk wrote: »
    http://www.change.org/petitions/bbc-do-not-allow-a-doctor-who-film Sign it i hear this is a petition to siign against the idea.

im not a harry potter fan at all.so its even worse to me.but think,his writing of the 2 films would be different.still i dont want it to happen and wouldnt support it

its clearly a money grabber film,which is understandable to make money but thats not what doctor who used to be about

and hear its more a american thing to get a bigger fan base over there,which if true has nothing to entice me.but if its yrs away then we will have to see

i really dont see the point though

I'm not signing anything that insists I enter my address. Email address I understand - home address? I don'y think so...
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    The time has come for Doctor Who fans to Unite.....And stop Doctor Who fans!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some petitions are started for some very silly things these days due to the ease the internet gives to do it with minimal leg work.

I am all for supporting campaigns like SaveDWC but petitioning a film that we know little about is just silly.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't see what the fuss about. We have two films from the 1960's that, okay, were technically remakes of TV stories, but they have always been classified as non-canon and have a separate identity of their own with a completely different Doctor. We've lived with those two films for over forty years and nobody raises an eyebrow about them! I fail to see how this will be any different.

Once more on this forum people are rushing in and making judgements without seeing the finished article first. If you go and watch it and then don't like it, fair play to you, at least you will have given it a chance! :)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted my feelings aboutt his in another thread yesterday. Just to paste them again here:

If the film is good and strengthens the brand, then great. But the Variety article set off a lot of alarm bells for me. Doctor Who fans are very precious about the show and it would have to be done perfectly. Non- canonical isn't the way to go for me, for a start. Why wouldn't you want to draw the potential new audiences attention to the strong product you already have by setting it in universe? Get people interested in that legacy!

If a film is made and is unsuccesful it will hurt worldwide sales of the show by associating it with a weak brand. Remember, a film is going to a bigger audience wordwide than the TV show - an audience who's perception of Doctor Who could be forever fixed by this film.

And why are they even looking around for a writer? Why gamble? Steven Moffat should write it. He's both a brilliant writer and knows and understands the show perfectly. Why would you even consider anyone else?

This is all assuming the veracity of the news of course. I'm well aware that there could very well not be much in it.

For those complaining of Doctor Who fans proprietorial regard for it: if it wasn't for that type of attitude (not least of which by TV proffessionals like Russel T Davis) then Doctor Who would not be on TV now. At the end of the day that hardcore fanbase keeps the show alive and other franchises have disregarded that at their peril believing it easily replacable. For a cheap Sci-Fi show Doctor Who has had tremendous wordwide success and that is risked if you make a commerically and / or critically unsuccesfull film, especially if it offends that core fanbase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    I'm not signing anything that insists I enter my address. Email address I understand - home address? I don'y think so...

iv not checked the site myself i wouldnt give address ether.im already getting to much junk mail
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    The time has come for Doctor Who fans to Unite.....And stop Doctor Who fans!

This, this, a thousand times this.

Honestly, why does ANYONE expect the fandom to be considered in any decision, ever, when it (or certain vocal sections at least) reacts in such a riduclous, over the top way?

We know NOTHING about the film, there are no details whatsoever except for a single report that could be taken one of a dozen ways from "we're ignoring everything and launching Doctor Who: Twilight Edition" to "we're gonna do the timewar!", Now is the time to show a little patience, wait to see if this even progresses past the 'nice idea' stage (after all someone's got to finance this and that'll involve a whole load of rights negotiations which isn't going to please major studios) and make a slightly more rational decision when there's something to base that decision ON. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silliest. Thread. EVER !

Needs more ghosts...:D
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    Silliest. Thread. EVER !

Needs more ghosts...:D

couldnt agree more:D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will sign the petition. Hate this idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will sign the petition. Hate this idea.

feel free if you like throwing your personal info about like confetti for absolutely no reason whatsoever because and believe me these petitions very rarely do anything
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo21nk wrote: »
    iv not checked the site myself i wouldnt give address ether.im already getting to much junk mail

Good to know you link to sites that you haven't even check out yourself. Will remember not to click on any links from you in the future.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feel free if you like throwing your personal info about like confetti for absolutely no reason whatsoever because and believe me these petitions very rarely do anything

Exhibit a:

http://www.petitiononline.com/bovvered/petition.html
    Dear BBC/Russel T Davies,

We, the undersigned, hereby register our disgust at the idea of the Donna character (as played by the woeful Catherine Tate) becoming a full time doctor Who companion in series 4. We feel that this would ruin an otherwise good show and lose ratings for this well respected sci-fi franchise.

Ms. Tate should stick to what she does best, failing to make people laugh via unoriginal comedy on BBC 2(preferably in a new 3am slot).

eta: wow the comments on there are as bad as i remembered:
    Maxwell Smart
    Comments
    Davies I hope you choke on your own vomit and die, you're the single reason Doctor Who is unwatchable, your writing sucks, your producing sucks, your casting for the series suck and most of all you suck! Now either leave the series or kill yourself, either way, the Who franchise will be far better off without your stupid crap ruinning what was a good series, and had the revival had potential to be great, until those idiots at the BBC hired your as executive producer of the series, you're 1000 times worse than John Nathan-Turner ever was a producer.

Maxwell, your parents must be so proud of you mate...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Exhibit a:

http://www.petitiononline.com/bovvered/petition.html

eta: wow the comments on there are as bad as i remembered:

Maxwell, your parents must be so proud of you mate...:rolleyes:

i hope he doesn't kiss his mother with that mouth:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Doctor Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pajs1000 wrote: »
    I love Doctor Who.

And so say all of us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    And so say all of us.

:):):):):):):)
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, as bad ideas go, this is right up there with getting involved in land wars in Asia and Sicilians when death is on the line.

Well a thread with a quote from the Princess Bride can't be all bad:p:D.