Les Dawson's Blankety Blank on Challenge

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The two shows from last night are repeated this morning at 11am :) I would think the Anneka/Les thing would've been an act, just messing about. I'll have a look.

I vaguely remember Dustin Gee with Les Dennis on a show doing impressions. Didn't they do impressions of Vera and Mavis from Coronation Street? I've got a vision in my head of Dustin in a big curly perm wig as Vera and Les being Mavis :D

You have indeed described their entire creative output right there.:D
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,573
    Forum Member
    You have indeed described their entire creative output right there.:D

We were easily pleased in those days, weren't we? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were easily pleased in those days, weren't we? :D

Yeah and you look at todays standards. Comedians have to swear to get a laugh.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea! How about Robert Williams from the post above yours? :D He seems to know a lot about BB!
    I'm afraid all I've got recorded are the episodes that have just been shown, plus I've no idea how to upload whole programmes to Youtube! There are a handful of episodes available on there, anyway.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid all I've got recorded are the episodes that have just been shown, plus I've no idea how to upload whole programmes to Youtube! There are a handful of episodes available on there, anyway.

Becareful uploading BBC shows to Youtube they don't just remove them when they find out they have your account striked I have fallen foul with Allo Allo the reunion and I can't upload more than 15 minutes to Youtube for 6 months so best to avoid.

Most companies just have the video blocked but the BBC in some kind of show of authority go the extra step and put your whole account at risk.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Challenge have shown the entire Dawson run in the past, though this is the first time I'm aware they've shown the Wogan ones. They've also shown the ITV-aired Lily Savage series, but not the BBC Savages.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,573
    Forum Member

That's ok, Robert. I was sort of half joking really :) Hopefully Challenge will show more Les ones in the future!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Becareful uploading BBC shows to Youtube they don't just remove them when they find out they have your account striked I have fallen foul with Allo Allo the reunion and I can't upload more than 15 minutes to Youtube for 6 months so best to avoid.

Most companies just have the video blocked but the BBC in some kind of show of authority go the extra step and put your whole account at risk.

Then you just create another account.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you just create another account.

Not if you have spent five years uploading stuff but that is the risk that one takes in uploading anything to Youtube.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the Terry episodes ... Les is much missed. :(
  • TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astonishingly bad wig on top of Brian Murphy.
    Bill Tidy's an incredible bore.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught the very first edition of Blankety Blank a couple of weeks ago, from I believe January 1979, and was very surprised to see the actress Judy Cornwell on the first show, who later became very well know in the 90's in Keeping Up Appearances as Daisy, the wife of Onslow. I had no idea she was clearly a very well know celebrity way back in 1979 and thought she only came to note much later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I caught the very first edition of Blankety Blank a couple of weeks ago, from I believe January 1979, and was very surprised to see the actress Judy Cornwell on the first show, who later became very well know in the 90's in Keeping Up Appearances as Daisy, the wife of Onslow. I had no idea she was clearly a very well know celebrity way back in 1979 and thought she only came to note much later.

Isn't it interesting, to see the guests of yesteryear?

Judy Cornwell was well known from the mid 60s. She was Miss Pegg in the flatshare sitcom "Moody & Pegg" in the mid 70s, which was a huge hit. Plenty of TV acting work followed on, so she would have been well known at the time of Blankety pt.1.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very young looking Michael Barrymore on yesterday, he seemed to age a fair bit in just the 7 years between then and Strike It Lucky starting!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I googled Karen Kay after seeing her on a Terry panel, thinking "I wonder what happened to her?" ... she's only blummin Jamiroquai's mother!!! :eek:

The joys of archive television ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following yesterday's broadcast, I'd better make a correction to my episode guide: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69712312

22/03/79 Marti Caine, Karen Kay, Diane Keen, Alfred Marks, Jerry Stevens, Bill Tidy
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    Watching the Terry episodes ... Les is much missed. :(

I am enjoying the Terry years a lot, with his easy-going charm. Don't get me wrong, I loved Les too but there was often a bit too much gurning and shouting involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beryl Reid! What a treat!

Mrs Chuff and I roared with laughter at her pretending there was a little man sitting under her desk. Asked what Bruce Forsyth got trapped in a door, her answer was
    "tiny hairpiece"
    :D

Her complete befuddlement was a joy to watch. I hope Terry continued to employ her, so that she crops up again. Otherwise, Terry's show is a bit staid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Not if you have spent five years uploading stuff but that is the risk that one takes in uploading anything to Youtube.

Isnt Youtube basically the 2014 version of Torrenting/file sharing sites?

Seems these days if people want to dl something they use youtube instead of torrents and those rapidshare sites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched a Tezza BB last night.

Paul Daniels. What a rancid, annoying little twerp. Really, he was atrociously showing off to a shameful extent. Vile.

Lovely to see Peggy Mount, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does STWW stand for?
    David Hamilton, Karen Kay were wearing stickers with this on.

Weekend Wogan?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been enjoying some of the Wogan Blankety Blank's from 1979 being shown this month. It's always rather sad when you see just how many of the people who guest have actually passed away since. Even better however when you realise just how many are still around and kicking still.

It ought to become a BBC1 evening feature again. It cannot be a costly show to make. The simplicity and daft fun are timeless. There are no end of people that would show up on the panel nowadays, younger and older. The prizes could remain modest, as it was never really about them was it, surely.

Which begs the question. Who could be a good Blankety Blank host if it were to return to BBC1 in 2014?

Fill in the blank. :)
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    What does STWW stand for?
    David Hamilton, Karen Kay were wearing stickers with this on.

Weekend Wogan?

Karen explained it stood for "Stop Terry Wogan Working". Bit harsh.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I've been enjoying some of the Wogan Blankety Blank's from 1979 being shown this month. It's always rather sad when you see just how many of the people who guest have actually passed away since. Even better however when you realise just how many are still around and kicking still.

It ought to become a BBC1 evening feature again. It cannot be a costly show to make. The simplicity and daft fun are timeless. There are no end of people that would show up on the panel nowadays, younger and older. The prizes could remain modest, as it was never really about them was it, surely.

Which begs the question. Who could be a good Blankety Blank host if it were to return to BBC1 in 2014?

Fill in the blank. :)
    Yes, I think it could definitely work again, even the revival with Lily Savage worked which I had initially been sceptical about. The good thing about that revival is that they resisted any temptation to update the format, keeping everything as low-tech as before. The most recent attempt was the shambolic 24 Hour Panel People version, which made the mistake of going too 'adult', plus Paul O'Grady had forgotten how the game worked, and there were mistakes in the format, for example the 'contestants' were writing down their answers as well as the panel.

However were it to be brought back again properly, I really cannot fathom who would be suitable to be the host, there's not really anyone to springs to mind. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lily Savage version was pretty good, but was too knowing. With Les's version, there's a feeling that it was all done on the cheap and Les resented it. The prizes were cheap and low-budget, even "bizarre" sometimes, but I think there was a limit on the value of gameshow prizes on the Beeb at the time. While Jim Bowen was giving away a speedboat every week (or not), Les wasn't able to. Lily's version tried carrying on in the same vein, and the only reason for that was that it was trying to copy Les's "arch" approach.

A new version would work fine ... maybe Terry again as host?! (His 70s/80s version is a bit slow and staid though).