Celebrity Age Gap Relationships

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Just seen Peter Andre and his girlfriend, he is my age and she is 23. Not sure what they have in common or what they talk about particularly as she has just qualified as a doctor.

Any others you can think of that look daft together or don't really work?

Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher didn't last (didn't he shag someone in a hot tub or something?)

Then there is the 50 Shades of Grey couple Sam whatsherface.

And the woman Johnny Depp ran off with.

And Clooney and his wife.

Comments

• Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was that woman who went out with Harry Styles who was a fair bit older than him (can't remember her name) think she got a lot of twitter threats or something)
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was that woman who went out with Harry Styles who was a fair bit older than him (can't remember her name) think she got a lot of twitter threats or something)

Caroline Flack, she won Strictly Come Dancing. They did look a bit daft together tbh, but I think HS looks like a gonk anyway.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a gut feeling that Stephen Fry's marriage won't stand the test of time, I hope it does, they just don't appear as couple to me
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Just seen Peter Andre and his girlfriend, he is my age and she is 23. Not sure what they have in common or what they talk about particularly as she has just qualified as a doctor.

Any others you can think of that look daft together or don't really work?

Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher didn't last (didn't he shag someone in a hot tub or something?)

Then there is the 50 Shades of Grey couple Sam whatsherface.

And the woman Johnny Depp ran off with.

And Clooney and his wife.

Emily Macdonaugh isn't 23, she's 25. :)

Some age gap relationships work, some don't. If the couple concerned are not bothered about the age gap then I don't see why anyone else should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I have a gut feeling that Stephen Fry's marriage won't stand the test of time, I hope it does, they just don't appear as couple to me

I am more worried about Stephen than the guy he has married.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people judge age gaps too much look at Celine Dion and her husband, there's a 26 age gap between them and they are still going strong after over 20 years.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carol mcGiffin has a young hubby, doesn't she?
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I really don't think it matters, as long as the relationship is genuine and the couple concerned love and care about each other. Peter Andre and his girlfriend seem happy together. The bloke out of One Direction and Caroline Flack though, I'm not so sure that was real.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catherine Zeta Jones (45) and Michael Douglas (70) - 25 years difference
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 years between Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black, been together nearly 2 years

In 2013 Tina Turner, 73, married Erwin Bach, 57, after 25+ years together

Actor Paul Walker, 40 at the time of his death and girlfriend Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell was about 23.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in two minds on this. I know couples who couldn't be more suited, and there's 20 years between them. If you have shared interests, a shared sense of humour, and genuinely love each other, then it will work, like any relationship.

That said, I don't know Stephen Fry or his husband but it doesn't look right and the body language from his husband seems distanced. They might last and I hope they do, but I have a 'feeling' about it, and like it or not, it's one many people share so there might be something in it. Every other time I've felt like that, I've unfortunately been correct, there's a lot to be said for intuition.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agatha Christie was about 14 years older than her husband Max - they were married 46 years.

Isn't Joan Collins about 30 years older than her husband :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the Stephen Fry & Elliott comments, it doesn't look right and came out of the blue.

It's not so much the age gap I don't think but whether they look right together.

My girlfriend is besotted with Bradley Cooper and consequently can't stick Suki Waterhouse, and I have to say that pairing looks very off kilter. My o/h showed me photos of them at Wimbledon where she was literally hanging off him like an annoying midge or fly and his face said it all. SW also looks like a skinny child and there is zero going on there, it would be like going out with a little boy or a pre-pubescent teen. She looks very young for her age. I don't get that one at all. Like Caroline Flack and Harry Styles.
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Juliet Mills 73

Maxwell Caulfield 55

They've been maried 35 yrs, so congrats to them.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Amazingly, when these young girls marry much older men they are always stinking rich!! Would Heather Mills have married Paul if he was an ordinary Old Age Pensioner??? I do not think so!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazingly, when these young girls marry much older men they are always stinking rich!! Would Heather Mills have married Paul if he was an ordinary Old Age Pensioner??? I do not think so!

PMSL! Anna Nicole Smith and that poor old guy in the wheelchair springs to mind.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's important to remember that a lot of relationships in the public eye are arranged puffs of nonsense designed to create publicity - usually for the younger, relatively unknown member of the couple. I'd be doubtful if maybe half of the aforementioned relationships are legit and don't have monetary influence behind them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    I think it's important to remember that a lot of relationships in the public eye are arranged puffs of nonsense designed to create publicity - usually for the younger, relatively unknown member of the couple. I'd be doubtful if maybe half of the aforementioned relationships are legit and don't have monetary influence behind them.

The ones people have mentioned like Juliet Mills and the guy from Grease 2 and Celine Dion and husband are genuine I am sure, but I agree with you about the others.

I just don't know how guys (usually the guys) can be arsed to keep up a fake relationship for any length of time. I can see that Caroline Flack got a lot of attention from the Styles malarkey - it was probably that that got her on Strictly and she has done well enough out of it.

Is Elliott just leading Stephen up the garden path, is my worry.

Peter Andre has a nice respectable girlfriend which is a breath of fresh air after Katie Price (though I'm not sure what Emily sees in Pete, nice enough guy in some ways if he is a media w***e but thought she would have gone for a doctor herself)

But God only knows what Bradley Cooper is getting out of whatever he's got himself into though. He must be on drugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I know a 24 year old guy who likes dating 16 year olds...I think it's a bit weird. It's legal but just personally it's a little off.

Some of the celebrity age gaps do come across as for the media...like Bradley Cooper and his girlfriend (she's my age and yes, Bradley Cooper is attractive, but I'd never actually date a 40 something- surely you'd be at the ages where you want different things).
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I know a 24 year old guy who likes dating 16 year olds...I think it's a bit weird. It's legal but just personally it's a little off.

I have a cousin who dated a 24 year old guy at 16. We all thought it was a bit weird that he had graduated uni and was into school girls but she's early 20's now and they're still together so there must have been something there but still I found it very strange. I'm that age nearly now and could no way imagine being attracted to a 16 year old boy.

I never used to understand Aaron Johnson and Sam Taylor at all (a lot of it was probably teenage jealousy :blush:) but they have been together a few years, have two kids and seem to work.

Same with Hugh Jackman and his wife. She's older than him but they're a pair you just know are going to last till the end.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Catherine Zeta Jones (45) and Michael Douglas (70) - 25 years difference

Didn't know until just now they shared a birthday. They've weathered a lot of storms together haven't they.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't know how guys (usually the guys) can be arsed to keep up a fake relationship for any length of time.

It's rarely a case of 'not being arsed' in entertainment/when you are high profile or dealing with high profile clients. It's a case of when signing up to something, you sign up to image clauses that can often be restrictive and limit what you can say, be or do.

Effectively you put your image in the hands of others, to market to the masses, esp. if you are young.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am more worried about Stephen than the guy he has married.

I'm more worried about the poor Daily Fail (not). Now that they can no longer call Spencer Fry's 'young pal' anymore.

They probably had to send sedatives round the office. :p:p:p:p Dunno how long it will last but Fry should have sent the Fail a massive piece of wedding cake with 2 mini grooms on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in two minds on this. I know couples who couldn't be more suited, and there's 20 years between them. If you have shared interests, a shared sense of humour, and genuinely love each other, then it will work, like any relationship.

That said, I don't know Stephen Fry or his husband but it doesn't look right and the body language from his husband seems distanced. They might last and I hope they do, but I have a 'feeling' about it, and like it or not, it's one many people share so there might be something in it. Every other time I've felt like that, I've unfortunately been correct, there's a lot to be said for intuition.

You can't judge body language from a still photograph - you have to actually see the couple together. Anyone can look like anything in a photograph - it is just an instant in time. Look at the magazine favourite of selecting a photograph of someone just starting a blink and pretending that they look pissed out of their brains. Also, many people look quite different on camera, because they are not professional models, and being on camera makes them look more formal or awkward. People have taken against Stephen Fry's wedding photographs because he is beaming like a man who has been on camera most days for his whole adult life, and Elliot Spencer looks a bit wary, as if a blaze of press photography is not very familiar to him. Nothing wrong with that.

The 47 year old Bill Wyman and 14 year old Mandy Smith, on the other hand...
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't judge body language from a still photograph - you have to actually see the couple together. Anyone can look like anything in a photograph - it is just an instant in time. Look at the magazine favourite of selecting a photograph of someone just starting a blink and pretending that they look pissed out of their brains. Also, many people look quite different on camera, because they are not professional models, and being on camera makes them look more formal or awkward. People have taken against Stephen Fry's wedding photographs because he is beaming like a man who has been on camera most days for his whole adult life, and Elliot Spencer looks a bit wary, as if a blaze of press photography is not very familiar to him. Nothing wrong with that.

The 47 year old Bill Wyman and 14 year old Mandy Smith, on the other hand...

You make a good point, yet I still feel off about it. Time will tell I suppose, very glad to be proven an old cynic rather than a young romantic (I think..!) :)