HELP!!!! samsung personal micro component system mm-218 dab

HI i have just bought a Samsung personal micro component system mm-218 dab, yes i know it is old, but i wanted it really for to play tapes on, and this system was all they had.
everything works,.. BUT i cannot tune the radio stations in. and the CD section needs play. tracks sections controls .. i think it must need a remote control unit to use it better..

does anyone know anything about this hifi..?? and where can i download a manual ? otherwise i have to take it back for a refund. help anyone? thanks.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Google doesn't even seem to find that number? - why didn't it come with it's remote control?, such units are normally unusable without it.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it isn't a Samsung MM-ZJ8? If so you can download a manual here but it does use a remote control.http://www.retrevo.com/support/Samsung-MM-ZJ8-manual/id/2995ci059/t/2/

A universal remote control may do the trick.

EDIT: I've just checked and harmony remotes will work with this so probably others will as well.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Are you sure it isn't a Samsung MM-ZJ8? If so you can download a manual here but it does use a remote control.http://www.retrevo.com/support/Samsung-MM-ZJ8-manual/id/2995ci059/t/2/

A universal remote control may do the trick.

EDIT: I've just checked and harmony remotes will work with this so probably others will as well.

no it is about 18 inches high. and has 2 repeater speakers, these are approx 12 inches high.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A micro system that is 18 inches high is unusual. 18 cm would be the norm.

It's possible the (pre-owned?) shop that sold it just bundled some other speakers with it, they might not be the originals.

I think you do have the Samsung MM-ZJ8

Is it like this:
    http://www.radio-now.co.uk/news314.htm

If you download the manual from the link provided by 'bobcar' it mentions how to tune in the radio. I think you can do it without the remote.

But a remote is really needed to use these types of things properly. If you don't have a remote then I would see if the shop has it. And if they don't then maybe get a refund if you can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the internet doesn't seem to know about the MM-218 but does know about the MM-ZJ8 and given how easy it would be to mistake the Z for a 2 and the J for a 1 it does seem likely to the ZJ8, as Tassium said they could have replaced the speakers if one of them had been damaged.

If it does turn out to be the MM-ZJ8 then you can get a new remote here. http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=972152&brand=Samsung&model=MMZJ8&part= (or just use a universal remote).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    A micro system that is 18 inches high is unusual. 18 cm would be the norm.

It's possible the (pre-owned?) shop that sold it just bundled some other speakers with it, they might not be the originals.

I think you do have the Samsung MM-ZJ8

Is it like this:
    http://www.radio-now.co.uk/news314.htm

If you download the manual from the link provided by 'bobcar' it mentions how to tune in the radio. I think you can do it without the remote.

But a remote is really needed to use these types of things properly. If you don't have a remote then I would see if the shop has it. And if they don't then maybe get a refund if you can.

good news, yes this is the one, i looked at the link below for the remote, and the price of it, is very nearly to what i paid for the system.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    good news, yes this is the one, i looked at the link below for the remote, and the price of it, is very nearly to what i paid for the system.

So why did you buy a system with the remote missing?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the shop doesn't have the remote, and won't give a refund...

Then a £1 shop remote will likely work for general usage. Maybe.

You need to download the user guide and see what features you need a remote for. Maybe you can tune the unit in without a remote.

In which case a cheap £1 shop universal remote will be enough for everything else. Worth trying anyway.

For £15 you could probably get a philips Universal Remote 2nd hand and that would definitely work. SRU-5150 are good. LCD display and easy to setup.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    That is not an option. Under SOGA goods must be fit for purpose.

The shop has to give a refund even for second hand goods if it was not sold with the disclaimer "remote missing".

I'm sure the OP knew the remote was missing. Probably didn't realise it was important.

But these issues are for another thread on the lines of "shop won't give refund!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the OP knew the remote was missing. Probably didn't realise it was important.

But these issues are for another thread on the lines of "shop won't give refund!"

I have to point out guys, I bought the system in a charity shop.
    for £35, it is in very good condition, and i did not realize that the buttons were missing until i got home... most of the options do work, i have tuned the radio in, the tape deck will play but i cannot ff rw and so on.. and the cd player will play but cannot fw skip pause and so on...
    IF i want to i can get a refund..should I.??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should be able to get a cheap universal remote that will do the job and should also control your other kit saving those remotes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to point out guys, I bought the system in a charity shop.
    for £35, it is in very good condition, and i did not realize that the buttons were missing until i got home... most of the options do work, i have tuned the radio in, the tape deck will play but i cannot ff rw and so on.. and the cd player will play but cannot fw skip pause and so on...
    IF i want to i can get a refund..should I.??

If you can get a refund then why not.

Buttons missing and no remote. For £35 I would expect better.
    These things really need the remote to work properly.

Being a charity shop makes it tricky of course
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If you can get a refund then why not.

Buttons missing and no remote. For £35 I would expect better.
    These things really need the remote to work properly.

Being a charity shop makes it tricky of course

Seeing as you can get a universal remote for a quid why bother with a refund?

All the hassle in taking it back and then you are back at square one again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Seeing as you can get a universal remote for a quid why bother with a refund?

All the hassle in taking it back and then you are back at square one again.

just like to point out.. a set of the remote control buttons have come into another charity shop in a different location. bought them for £3.. as there was no hifi to go with it..lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    But you had to wait three years for it! You have more patience than most!

one of my goods points..lol.. my patience...
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    just like to point out.. a set of the remote control buttons have come into another charity shop in a different location. bought them for £3.. as there was no hifi to go with it..lol.

Thanks for the update :D