Massive Cyber Attacks in east coast USA

2»

Comments

• HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Here in the South it's been ok. Maybe the Russian navy didn't want their Internet blocked! :D

You are probably right. The Russians have shown that they are rather good at this sort of thing.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are all the cyber attacks finished now?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm planning a major cider attack tonight. *hic*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I'm planning a major cider attack tonight. *hic*

What sort of cider do you drink?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    So are all the cyber attacks finished now?

No idea but I can't say that I noticed it anyway. They are thought to have used cheapo Internet of Things (IoT) stuff to launch the attacks because they are becoming so common these days and most of them have appallingly weak security. The code for this one has only been out in the public domain since last month, so this kind of DDoS attack will only get worse.

No cheapo IoT devices in my house though, not even a so-called smart meter (smart? Yeah, right). Well not many anyway lol. They can stick their IoT devices up where the sun don't shine.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    No idea but I can't say that I noticed it anyway. They are thought to have used cheapo Internet of Things (IoT) stuff to launch the attacks because they are becoming so common these days and most of them have appallingly weak security.
    Which makes you wonder what else is being done with them that you don't know about.
  • DougalGeorgeDougalGeorge Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    I was trying to book flights. Thomson was unresponsive. Although it's a c**p website on a normal day. ( Ended up with Jet2 flights)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Which makes you wonder what else is being done with them that you don't know about.

Well in my case, nothing as I don't have any IoT stuff at all. I think. My phone's probably the biggest risk so I'm very careful with that. Does make you wonder about the masses, though!
  • kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cyber attack my arse, the powers that be were probably just trying out their kill switch on certain sites lol .......... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37527719