Options

that was tragic from the Glee cast

Comments

• Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    Have you seen the show?

Yes. I was answering a question about discrimination.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    It's the representation of every minority group that is in fact insulting to minority groups. It's positive discrimination - in easy terms - we'll put you in the group because of your disability, not in spite of it.

No it isn't. It is trying to have a typical (though maybe exaggerated due it to being a comedy) high school student body. Or would much rather have a group of beautiful actors who have to someone else record their vocals for them all because it looks better to you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it isn't. It is trying to have a typical (though maybe exaggerated due it to being a comedy) high school student body. Or would much rather have a group of beautiful actors who have to someone else record their vocals for them all because it looks better to you?

Just a group of regular people would be about right if you were not positively discriminating and trying to represent minority groups.
  • Options
    Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Launch Fan wrote: »
    Thought it was horrendous myself. Mostly bad miming and a good example of what's wrong with music nowadays, but more so it's a bit weak of the X Factor to get this lot on as a filler in a Semi Final. Probably only got on to the X Factor as it's on Fox in the US, which is Cowell's stable, but continues to be the butt of many jokes where anyone acting weird is classed as watching too much Glee.

Not sure if it'll get a third season as it has a problem of dropping 30 percent of its ratings between episodes, as seen between S202 and S203. That's never a good thing with network advertisers.

Most of your post is completely and utterly ridiculous, and you must be on a wind up but I'll address it anyway:

Bit weak? No Simon sweated blood to get them on, there's no bigger cash cow than the Glee Cast at the minute, and will have had to jump through hoops to secure that booking, especially to get ALL of them over. Many flew straight in and straight out, such is their tight schedule.

As for your final comment, oh dear:o
    You do know that in terms of ratings and renewals Glee is THE safest TV show on in the states right now don't you? It's not about the actual figures (which are also safe as houses) it's about the score in the adult 18 - 49 demographic, THAT is what the advertisers are interested in. And rather than just throw around stuff, I have the back up:

http://www.tvbarn.com/tv-barn/nfl-and-glee-top-the-only-nielsen-ratings-chart-that-matters/

Brad Adgate, the numbers guru for Horizon Media in NYC, just passed along a huge spreadsheet of Nielsen data showing how every network program performed in the first three weeks of the new season.

I’ve whittled away a couple dozen columns from his spreadsheet because I think just two matter. Actually, just one matters: the rating among viewers ages 18 to 49. That is the gold standard for most buyers of commercial time on network TV today.

And, I’ve skipped the old live-viewing Nielsens in favor of SD — same-day viewing, which includes all people who watch a show the day it airs but choose to time-shift with DVRs (usually to skip commercials).

The verdict is stunningly clear: Fox’s “Glee” is the most popular scripted show with the audience most popular with advertisers. It’s bigger than anything other than the NFL. And it’s not even close.

I think the advertisers are more than happy with Glee, sadly for you;)

Furthermore I will bet my house there is a third season. Why?because even though you try to claim you know about the show and it's ratings you clearly don't. IT ALREADY IS RENEWED FOR SEASON 3.;) Fox and the advertisers are so happy, it got one of the earliest renewals in TV history. What a failure eh? The only fail is your post my friend. Again, here are the FACTS.;)
    The first full season of "Glee" is still weeks away from completion. The second full season of "Glee" won't premiere until September. No matter. FOX has now ordered a third season of the hit musical-dramedy.

FOX made the announcement on Monday (May 24) after leaking the press release to a "Glee"-friendly publication over the weekend.

"In just one year, 'Glee' has transcended the television landscape and emerged as a global pop culture phenomenon," states FOX Chairman Peter Rice in a statement. "We are incredibly proud to have talent like Ryan Murphy and the 'Glee' cast in our FOX family, and we can’t wait to see where Ryan takes the show in Seasons Two and Three."

It was only a week ago that FOX announced a 2010-2011 schedule heavy on "Glee." The series will air at 8 p.m. on Tuesdays in the fall, launching a night of live-action comedies, and will then return to its post-"American Idol" home in the spring. In addition, FOX has given the coveted post-Super Bowl slot to "Glee" in the spring.

"Everything about 'Glee' -- from the concept to the characters to the marketing -- has been innovative and risky, but with Ryan Murphy tapping into the zeitgeist, the risk has paid off with this truly remarkable series," states FOX Entertainment President Kevin Reilly. "'Glee' has one of the most active, devoted fan bases I’ve ever seen, and we couldn’t be more thrilled to give GLEEks a third season of their favorite show."

Epic fail my friend, epic fail:p

As for the rest of the people in this thread, will any of you still blathering on about miming please address my points if you so strongly believe? Ta.
    On the miming, there are 3 clear indicators they were not:

The arrangement has never been done like that before. They were missing the guy who normally sings (Chris Colfer) and added in parts for Chord Overstreet and new arrangements with Dianna Agron and Cory Monteith singing together and Naya Rivera and Chord Overstreet. Therefore there isn't a pre existing recording to mime to.
    Sure you can believe they would go to the ENORMOUS trouble of recording some new as live vocals for a one off overseas performance that won't be repeated but I tend to think that's pointless and there simply wasn't time, given they can and did it live.

Watch the singing closely
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyZ1OO-A-oQ
    Cory at the start sounds weak and strained.
    Lea holds the microphone as FAR away from her face to sing into. Mimers do the opposite holding it close to their lips to try and cover up the mime. Watch the X Factor group songs and you'll see the difference with Live Glee and mimed X Factor. If you're going to mime, you don't do what Lea did.

Lea continues to hold the microphone well away from her
    The blond (Dianna) and Cory - she's certainly not perfect
    Chord and Naya - Chord also holds the microphone FAR away, singing into it. You can pretty much see them all doing that, they hardly ever cover up their mouths

Now compare to the blatantly mimed X factor performance of 'forget you' when there was a similar number of contestants on stage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APEEHSHqYok
    Almost without exception, the microphones are glued in front of their mouths - particularly one direction and Matt!

Finally if that's not enough for you, and heck for some, you've decided they mimed and that's that. Consider when Dermot spoke to them, did he lend them his microphone like he did with Justin Bieber last week because his headset wasn't on? Nope, they all spoke into their own microphones, ie the ones they had just been singing into.

Man, there are some real idiots here, I don't like throwing words like that around but if you come in a thread moaning about some bad actress, with no idea of the character she plays or even who she is.
    That would be Emmy award winning Jane Lynch
    http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/08/29/jane-lynch-wins-her-first-emmy-award/
    Then yes you deserve to be called an idiot IMO, it's like dropping into a football thread when you know nothing about the team discussed.

Obviously yes I am a Gleek, and people hating the performance is fine, if I'd never seen the show, I'd be the same but there's some real crap being spouted in here and it has to be addressed, particularly this DS obsession with miming, I mean I even saw someone asking was 'Alexandra lip synching':eek::eek::eek: Seriously?! Like I said, idiots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a group of regular people would be about right if you were not positively discriminating and trying to represent minority groups.

Isn't the show about a group of geeks and people who are not considered perfect or beautiful enough to be popular in a US high school, forming a glee club, so giving them a chance to sing and dance as well as go through the things most teenagers in US high schools go through such as relationships, sex, fitting in with society?

Why would they not have representatives of minority groups in there as in real life or should they only show 'regular people', whoever they are?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »

Why would they not have representatives of minority groups in there as in real life or should they only show 'regular people', whoever they are?

I suppose what people object to is the base representation of each minority group which is as unlikely as having a group full of perfect model types.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose what people object to is the base representation of each minority group which is as unlikely as having a group full of perfect model types.

By 'people' do you mean you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I love the show and the songs and I thought the Glee Cast did great on sunday. They were clearly singing live, apart from the backing "da-da-da-da-da-da"

Top notch. I hope to see them on tour next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    LMAO the overreaction about Glee is absolutely hilarious. Kevin McHale who plays Artie is able bodied and I assume they gave him the part as he was the best actor with the best voice for the role, but of course everyone is so quick to scream "sick" and "discrimination". Pathetic. If you actually watched or took notice to what was going on and what people here are telling you - they were all IN CHARACTER. It's a group of cast members from a TV show not Popstars. They were even in costume from one of the episodes. It would be more worrying to me if Kevin was not in the wheelchair, merely confusing regular viewers and turning it into some sort of taboo subject that you over-reactors are.

Oh and in incidentally, the solo vocals were all 100% live. One of the regular performers was absent and there was no sign of his vocals. The backing seemed mimed but the rest was live and they were all pretty much pitch perfect. Whethe Glee is your thing or not, that's fact. Lea and Amber blew every contestant out of the water.

Typical DS making a mountain out of a molehill. To summarise - solo vocals were live. The cast were in character, hence why they had the audacity to put Kevin on stage in the wheelchair.

Pathetic.

I agree with every word. Very well said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Lea Michele was amazing, wasn't she? What a voice!

I mean, they're all very good, but she was superb!

I got super confused as to who that blonde matie was (I thought they'd just plopped him in because Kurt and the black guy - sorry I've never known his name - couldn't make it) but I started watching the new series last night and the blonde guy is a new character. Silly me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c eliz wrote: »
    Lea Michele was amazing, wasn't she? What a voice!

I mean, they're all very good, but she was superb!

I got super confused as to who that blonde matie was (I thought they'd just plopped him in because Kurt and the black guy - sorry I've never known his name - couldn't make it) but I started watching the new series last night and the blonde guy is a new character. Silly me.

To be fair though, anyone who only watches the show at UK Pace instead of seeking out the US episodes 'by other means' would have no idea:
    a) Why Kurt wasn't there if they hadn't read any press reports about his filming commitments. Some did assume he might have left:eek:
    b) What's happened to Matt (The black guy)
    c) Who the heck the blond guy was, singing with Santana

So I don't think it's 'silly me' at all.:)
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Most of your post is completely and utterly ridiculous, and you must be on a wind up but I'll address it anyway:

Bit weak? No Simon sweated blood to get them on, there's no bigger cash cow than the Glee Cast at the minute, and will have had to jump through hoops to secure that booking, especially to get ALL of them over. Many flew straight in and straight out, such is their tight schedule.

As for your final comment, oh dear:o
    You do know that in terms of ratings and renewals Glee is THE safest TV show on in the states right now don't you? It's not about the actual figures (which are also safe as houses) it's about the score in the adult 18 - 49 demographic, THAT is what the advertisers are interested in. And rather than just throw around stuff, I have the back up:

http://www.tvbarn.com/tv-barn/nfl-and-glee-top-the-only-nielsen-ratings-chart-that-matters/

I think the advertisers are more than happy with Glee, sadly for you;)

Furthermore I will bet my house there is a third season. Why?because even though you try to claim you know about the show and it's ratings you clearly don't. IT ALREADY IS RENEWED FOR SEASON 3.;) Fox and the advertisers are so happy, it got one of the earliest renewals in TV history. What a failure eh? The only fail is your post my friend. Again, here are the FACTS.;)

[/B]

Epic fail my friend, epic fail:p

As for the rest of the people in this thread, will any of you still blathering on about miming please address my points if you so strongly believe? Ta.

Man, there are some real idiots here, I don't like throwing words like that around but if you come in a thread moaning about some bad actress, with no idea of the character she plays or even who she is.
    That would be Emmy award winning Jane Lynch
    http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/08/29/jane-lynch-wins-her-first-emmy-award/
    Then yes you deserve to be called an idiot IMO, it's like dropping into a football thread when you know nothing about the team discussed.

Obviously yes I am a Gleek, and people hating the performance is fine, if I'd never seen the show, I'd be the same but there's some real crap being spouted in here and it has to be addressed, particularly this DS obsession with miming, I mean I even saw someone asking was 'Alexandra lip synching':eek::eek::eek: Seriously?! Like I said, idiots.

I was just going to lurk and read this thread today and say nothing but as a huge fan of Glee I want to say thank you for this. It just goes to show just because something is popular there are always people who just want to be seen as cool and hate on such a thing.

just because they don't like the format whether it be that they cover songs etc they want to put their stamp on it because it is something a majority of people like.

To appear as credible, relevant oh so sophisticated in their own circles they decide I will hate on that or I will give an opinion on it without any actual basis other than to appear non conformist or whatever.

It's the same kind of people who seem to watch X-factor so they can nit pick and find fault and claim fix etc.

I don't mean to generalise so forgive me if you don't fall into what I have just said.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I could actually say it better than Nicola already did so I'll just say well said Nicola ;)
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I love you Nicola

thanks for posting that
  • Options
    KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I replied in this thread on Saturday ,unbelievable people are still crying "Miming". Is care in the community not working on soemthing?

BACKING VOCAL HARMONY WAS MIMED NOTHING ELSE.

Doubt it will make a difference
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keelboots wrote: »
    I replied in this thread on Saturday ,unbelievable people are still crying "Miming". Is care in the community not working on soemthing?

BACKING VOCAL HARMONY WAS MIMED NOTHING ELSE.

Doubt it will make a difference

Oh don't worry about it, I've asked the ones crying 'mime!' very kindly if they could address my points about the reason why it WASN'T mimed, seems as though they are so adamant, they must have a counter argument I thought, but no takers yet.

Pretty much everyone who comes on the X factor is accused of miming here and then the act has to defend themselves, Michael Buble was particularly annoyed at the accusations when he performed and I see poor Cory has had to come out and defend them.

They shouldn't bloody have to, when it was clear to anyone with good eyesight and hearing, that wasn't mimed but they can't win, if they say nothing they'll be accused of ' not saying anything so it must be true' and if they do as Michael and Cory have done, it'll be 'shows desperation' without a shadow of a doubt.

Bemusing.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, according to the most recent census of Lima, Ohio, even when Matt and Ken were in the cast, there was a disproportionately large amount of white people on the programme. There's not too many minorities for the cast to accurately represent "a group of regular people", there's too few.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh don't worry about it, I've asked the ones crying 'mime!' very kindly if they could address my points about the reason why it WASN'T mimed, seems as though they are so adamant, they must have a counter argument I thought, but no takers yet.

Pretty much everyone who comes on the X factor is accused of miming here and then the act has to defend themselves, Michael Buble was particularly annoyed at the accusations when he performed and I see poor Cory has had to come out and defend them.

They shouldn't bloody have to, when it was clear to anyone with good eyesight and hearing, that wasn't mimed but they can't win, if they say nothing they'll be accused of ' not saying anything so it must be true' and if they do as Michael and Cory have done, it'll be 'shows desperation' without a shadow of a doubt.

Bemusing.

Well, as a Gleek *and* a disabled person and occasional wheelchair user, I thought it was fantastic to see the Glee cast on X Factor. It would have looked peculiar to have Artie out of a wheelchair, and why should he have been, as he was in character!

However....IMHO not everyone was singing live. You can *clearly* hear quite a large amount of autotune when Cory sings, and also on Amber's high note.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as a Gleek *and* a disabled person and occasional wheelchair user, I thought it was fantastic to see the Glee cast on X Factor. It would have looked peculiar to have Artie out of a wheelchair, and why should he have been, as he was in character!

However....IMHO not everyone was singing live. You can *clearly* hear quite a large amount of autotune when Cory sings, and also on Amber's high note.

you are mistaken with what autotune is and what the issue was I was addressing.

Autotune is when something is added AFTER the vocals/performance to enhance them. With the performance being done on the Saturday it is quite probable that autotune was added post production to the Glee performance.

But that doesn't detract from the point that when they performed in the studio they were singing live. They may well have messed about with them in post production (Amber certainly doesn't need it though!) but they were singing live.

It's like with the whole Gamu autotune thing, nobody was disputing the fact that she sang live at her audition, the autotune was added in post production to make her vocals sound better and correct pitch.

I personally didn't notice whether the Glee performance had autotune, but whether they did or not does not relate to the discussion with regards to were they singing live. At the time I strongly believe yes they were :)
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, Autotune doesn't need to be added in post. It can be done entirely live.

I didn't notice it on Amber, but I did on Cory.
  • Options
    LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only disappointment in the performance was the miming at the very start, I think they could of over come this if they'd had a choir humming the start live whilst they entered.

The rest of it was excellent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trollface wrote: »
    Actually, Autotune doesn't need to be added in post. It can be done entirely live.

I didn't notice it on Amber, but I did on Cory.

I only noticed it on Amber's high note; you could hear it kick in. Ironic that Cory is the spokesman saying the miming claims are laughable when he is the one who has the most amount of autotune in every song. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you are mistaken with what autotune is and what the issue was I was addressing.

Autotune is when something is added AFTER the vocals/performance to enhance them. With the performance being done on the Saturday it is quite probable that autotune was added post production to the Glee performance.

But that doesn't detract from the point that when they performed in the studio they were singing live. They may well have messed about with them in post production (Amber certainly doesn't need it though!) but they were singing live.

It's like with the whole Gamu autotune thing, nobody was disputing the fact that she sang live at her audition, the autotune was added in post production to make her vocals sound better and correct pitch.

I personally didn't notice whether the Glee performance had autotune, but whether they did or not does not relate to the discussion with regards to were they singing live. At the time I strongly believe yes they were :)

I am not mistaken with what Autotune is. Yes, of course they would have had to sing it "live" at one point to get the track in the first place. However, it *was* Autotuned; Cory in particular to the Nth degree, as he is in every track.

As to *when* it was Autotuned, it doesn't really matter - the fact is, it was. I miss the days where singers came on stage and just sang live. :(
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't notice it at first but the Amber/Simon moment was really quite fitting and it was a look at me now moment really.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    One of the characters in the show is in a wheelchair. I don't watch Glee, but I fail to see how that is down to political correctness - there are millions of people out there in wheelchairs, you know :confused:

yes and everyweek they are on tv saturday night prime time,

WAKE UP!!!!