Options

Cheryl's album only sold 84,000

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of exposure to be honest. Remember, this is her first album out of three without XF promo.

Correct me if i am wrong, but the only promo she has done was her stint on The Voice. She didn't do any festivals this summer which is the best time of the year to showcase your music and remind people you have an album out.

LOL! :D

But yes seriously her sales, for all the exposure she has had, are pretty disappointing. Maybe she put people off of buying this album because they weren't impressed with the last one.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of seats are sold anyway. The only ones left (at the O2) are the heaven seats at the top.

There are quite a few tickets on the touts websites, but they would have already been paid for at face value so it's not like she will miss out on £££ despite their being a few empty seats.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mm83 wrote: »
    Really? Sales from last week

1 The Killers 93,989
    2 P!nk 79,531

Sales are always bad when your material is poor.

Different time of year though, albums sales always improve around this time of year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Sales from last week

1 The Killers 93,989
    2 P!nk 79,531

We are in late September......sales always pick up around this time.

30 Jun 38,115 Justin Bieber Believe
    07 Jul 41,526 Linkin Park Living Things
    14 Jul 29,980 Chris Brown Fortune
    21 Jul 16,647 Newton Faulkner Write It On Your Skin
    28 Jul 14,342 Elton John vs. Pnau Good Morning To The Night
    04 Aug 36,855 Plan B iLL Manors
    11 Aug 17,474 Conor Maynard Contrast
    18 Aug 9,578 Rihanna Talk That Talk
    25 Aug 30,825 Emeli Sandé Our Version Of Events

Were the sales to get a #1 album between June-August

22 Sep 58,266 The XX Coexist
    29 Sep 93,989 The Killers Battle Born

and they have begun to pick up over the last two weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Haven't the tickets been on sale for like 3 months now?..other tours have sold out way faster than this, the only one that has is in her home-town, so it's not looking good that someone on her level can't even manage to pack out the O2 easily...

So what if they have, it isn't the end of the world if she can't sell them out. Yeah she isn't as popular as she once was, but she is still doing well.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Her label will not have made a loss, Cheryl doesn't work with huge producers that cost alot, she worked for the most part this time with new upcoming producers, so it won't have cost them that much. Plus the tour will definitely make them even more money.

Also she isn't finished yet, Screw You is the next single and it is far better than Under The Sun, and she will probably get an X Factor slot. Plus she has been recording new songs recently, so she might have something up her sleeve.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a re-release to boost sales

To me, UTS is not a bad song; it's catchy. It's an obvious single to attract the casual fans imo.

I honestly don't understand the fuss on Screw You - beside the obvious tabloid fascination with some of the lyrics. I think it sounds bloody awful. I would be surprised if this track does well actually having just heard it, especially considering the amount of new releases that tend to come out in the Autumn.
  • Options
    BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of exposure to be honest. Remember, this is her first album out of three without XF promo.

Correct me if i am wrong, but the only promo she has done was her stint on The Voice. She didn't do any festivals this summer which is the best time of the year to showcase your music and remind people you have an album out.

come off it, she's the most exposed female celebrity. Look at bands like the xx who never had any exposure and most people who only listen commercial music would never think to listen to with their second album still managed a number 1 and a significant amount of sales. This is why its ridiculous when its said that people like Alexandra Burke, Leona Lewis are "flopping" because they don't have any promotion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    come off it, she's the most exposed female celebrity. Look at bands like the xx who never had any exposure and most people who only listen commercial music would never think to listen to with their second album still managed a number 1 and a significant amount of sales. This is why its ridiculous when its said that people like Alexandra Burke, Leona Lewis are "flopping" because they don't have any promotion

Constantly appearing in celeb magazines and being photographed doesn't make people buy albums. It means she's simply a well exposed celebrity. Whereas the XX actually have quite a solid fanbase since their first album. And unlike Cheryl, their fans care about the music and not what they wear to events.
  • Options
    STEPHENFOX20STEPHENFOX20 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Totally disagree that 'a million lights' is a poor album...I personally love the album, sooo many good songs on it, I also have the 'soldiers edition' and the songs on there are brilliant too. Cheryl haters go away and stop typing constant crap about her.

I for one am looking forward to seeing her in Concert in 2 weeks in Liverpool and Manchester......

Cheryl will have sold the tour out by then..wait and see!! ROLL ON THE 'A MILLION LIGHTS TOUR'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl Cole 'the celebrity/personality' has always been more popular than Cheryl Cole 'the music artist' anyway.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paloma Faith comparisons arent good, as she is aimed at a different (older??) audience.

Maybe Cheryl is more of the Peter Andre type of celeb. Young people like seeing her on TV & reading about her in mags, biut not necessarily buying her music in vast quantities?? Perhaps she is simply more popular as a "celeb"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally disagree that 'a million lights' is a poor album...I personally love the album, sooo many good songs on it, I also have the 'soldiers edition' and the songs on there are brilliant too. Cheryl haters go away and stop typing constant crap about her.

I for one am looking forward to seeing her in Concert in 2 weeks in Liverpool and Manchester......

Cheryl will have sold the tour out by then..wait and see!! ROLL ON THE 'A MILLION LIGHTS TOUR'

No one is hating, she is under performing greatly. End of.
  • Options
    BlastoffBlastoff Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Want to know what I think? the Jubilee performance RUINED her as a solo act as she sounded absolutely horrendous during that performance and suddenly the illusion that she was an ok singer was damanged beyond repair.

All in all she should never have done that performance, it was meant for a Leona or a Christina Aguilera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blastoff wrote: »
    Want to know what I think? the Jubilee performance RUINED her as a solo act as she sounded absolutely horrendous during that performance and suddenly the illusion that she was an ok singer was damanged beyond repair.

All in all she should never have done that performance, it was meant for a Leona or a Christina Aguilera.

She has sounded bad before that. If people really cared about live singing many artists wouldn't have a career. Let's be honest.

I think that her second album Messy Little Raindrops put off a lot of casual buyers because the album was so bad. It'll take something special to get them back on side.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    She has sounded bad before that. If people really cared about live singing many artists wouldn't have a career. Let's be honest.

I think that her second album Messy Little Raindrops put off a lot of casual buyers because the album was so bad. It'll take something special to get them back on side.

Yes but it was largely 'covered up' to an extent by that infamous Snow Patrol duet and her X Factor role...she has sort of shot herself in the foot now, truly exposing herself at the Jubilee concert, and blatantly miming everywhere else, people have started to become aware of it, perhaps that's why her tour is still half empty.

It's a shame because she could so easily improve, like Rihanna has, but she just hasn't bothered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Yes but it was largely 'covered up' to an extent by that infamous Snow Patrol duet and her X Factor role...she has sort of shot herself in the foot now, truly exposing herself at the Jubilee concert, and blatantly miming everywhere else, people have started to become aware of it, perhaps that's why her tour is still half empty.

It's a shame because she could so easily improve, like Rihanna has, but she just hasn't bothered.

I'm not sure where this 'half empty' tour claims are coming from. Looking at the O2 London the best section available is BK 419 and BK 420 (upper tier) and then the arena is sold out.

There are tickets on sites like viagogo but they've already been paid for at face value so she isn't running at a loss. The touts are.

She mimed on The Voice, got slated everywhere for it, and still went on to have the fastest selling #1 single this year a few weeks later, an achievement she still holds. Very few care if she mimes or sounds bad live.
  • Options
    BlastoffBlastoff Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I think Call My Name did well on the back of being a hot Calvin Harris produced track. It probaly would have done well for any female vocalist.

Then came the disaster that was the Jubilee performance where her vocal limitations were properly exposed to a massive audience for the first time.

Under the Sun is no Call My Name and had to be reduced to 59p on itunes to make any kind of mark on the charts.

Top all this off with the fact she no longer has X Factor at its ratings peak to fall back against.

Roll on the Girls Aloud reunion!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about Messy Little Raindrops probably did alot of damage to Cheryl, it was a really bad album and alot of people will have went off her as a solo artist and decided to just buy the songs they like.

The Jubilee performance was bad and could have had an effect aswell I suppse. Though I am not going to her tour, I am looking forward to the videos from it to see what her live performances do sound like. And I believe she will perform a good chunk of it live, she did when she supported the Black Eyed Peas, so in a weeks time we will have some videos.
  • Options
    TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member

Not necessarily.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought her 2nd album was REALLY good, i am shocked how so many slate it constantly.

I am stunned it's not flying off the shelves though...she's mega famous in the UK.

Some good reasons put forward by you all, but it just shows she hasn't really broken the solo artist world as much as we thought, she's no mega flop but she had a lot of help. I think she's got a primetime ITV special this year performing some songs, an X Factor performance and the reunion as well as a 3rd single. I think 200k max unless there's a re-release with an amazing new song with someone huge like Flo Rida/Taio Cruz with the XF performance thats the only way she's going platinum.

Lets being realistic there is no way she is getting dropped, she had to release at this time of year due to the reunion that won't be the case next time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Cheryl is just not a stand alone pop star without a reality show to back her. She's not talented enough. She's a perfect girl group member.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This excuse of it was "released in June so bound to fail", is a little silly, it was released around a massive performance in front of many millions at the Jubillee. It was clearly supposed to be so popular that it would still be selling now, that's what big albums do. Look at the Albums above her in the charts, there's people well above her, who released albums well before her.

It's an expensive product that few people wanted, a flop in other words.

No she won't be dropped, but she's got about one more album, with her level of promotion, before they start seriously scaling back.

Personally I feel she should go the Kylie route, pure pop. The thing is her poor live performances hit her more, because she seems to be wanted to taken seriously.

If she got rid of the cred producers and just did cheesy pop, no-one would care less if she mimed, IMHO.
  • Options
    aiseyaisey Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Cheryl Cole 'the celebrity/personality' has always been more popular than Cheryl Cole 'the music artist' anyway.

She's the People's Mimer.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My band's CD sold 134 copies.

OK, that's all we could afford to make, but 84000 sounds like a lot to me!
  • Options
    Wooly ShamblerWooly Shambler Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    This excuse of it was "released in June so bound to fail", is a little silly, it was released around a massive performance in front of many millions at the Jubillee.

I think it's a dire excuse because it's not like it's hanging around the top 20/40 selling a few thousands every week - it was at #63 last week, which is bad in any sales climate.

I just think her solo career has gone the way of Louise Redknapp's - two successful albums and then one not-so-successful album. I very much doubt we'll hear more solo music from her - she only seemed interested in doing music when it was served to her on a silver platter or else she would've tried to go for that US launch, with or without X-Factor.