Writers for the 2013 portion of the current series

2»

Comments

• Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I want to know is how does Gatiss keep getting the writing gig? His stories are by far some of the weakest of the show. You don't think Moffatt is grooming him to take over is he? God I hope not
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :Djilly cooper for a chaange , a bit of horsey actiion wwith a whip ax joking toby whitehouse
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As massive Cybermen revamp and finale seems to be rumoured.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean Dare wrote: »
    What I want to know is how does Gatiss keep getting the writing gig? His stories are by far some of the weakest of the show. You don't think Moffatt is grooming him to take over is he? God I hope not

Coz he's one of Moffat's best mates I'd imagine. Plus he has TV writing experience. Plus he's a fan so would require less briefing on characters, motivations etc. And he's a safe pair of hands.

TBH aside from Victory I've quite enjoyed all of his episodes, he's just yet to write a pure CLASSIC. Though 'Unquiet Dead' was pretty close.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorkjacksn wrote: »
    Coz he's one of Moffat's best mates I'd imagine. Plus he has TV writing experience. Plus he's a fan so would require less briefing on characters, motivations etc. And he's a safe pair of hands.

That's basically it, especially the first one. But personally, I am a little sick of his consistent 5 out of 10 stories and wish they would give him a rest.

XMAS: MOFFAT
    6. MOFFAT
    7. STEVE THOMPSON
    9. GATISS ('The '60's Returnees')
    10. NEIL CROSS (Phantoms of the Hex)
    11. GATISS (The Crimson Horror)
    13. MOFFAT

Are those in production? Are the Moffat episodes officialy in those slots or is it just assumed?
  • Walzo LolfWalzo Lolf Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    aisey wrote: »
    There hasn't been many female writers lately either.

One in the entire 2005+ run, in fact, and she was already on staff.

She did get two two-parters, but the absence is notable. As is the complete lack of any non-white writers.

On the Gaiman front, no way will that be ready for filming in the next few months. He's said that he's only on the third draft. Allowing time for Moffat to fix the script, I doubt that's going to make it this side of the 50th.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    That's basically it, especially the first one. But personally, I am a little sick of his consistent 5 out of 10 stories and wish they would give him a rest.

Are those in production? Are the Moffat episodes officialy in those slots or is it just assumed?

Must be, they stop filming for that half of the series in 10 weeks or so and they've been filming since February so you can only assume so
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walzo Lolf wrote: »
    One in the entire 2005+ run, in fact, and she was already on staff.

She did get two two-parters, but the absence is notable. As is the complete lack of any non-white writers.

On the Gaiman front, no way will that be ready for filming in the next few months. He's said that he's only on the third draft. Allowing time for Moffat to fix the script, I doubt that's going to make it this side of the 50th.

She wrote a couple of decent two-parters in my opinion but they weren't well received and then she was reduced to a bit-part writer and the Moff's never given her a look in...
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »

A year ago I'd have said the same but after both of Chibnall's stories captivated me this year, I'm prepared to give him a chance. As I say, I've quite enjoyed most of his stories, but i'm waiting for a stonking great classic from him.

Well the Moff usually writes season openers and closers, so I just presumed tbh. The others are all just the confirmed writers, whether or not those are their actual positions in the run isnt clear, I just gleaned little bits and bobs from GallifreyBase.
  • WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its worth noting that episode 11 will be the 100th episode of nu-who. I guess with it falling in the same year as the 50th it will go by unnoticed, especially if it is indeed the Crimson Horror that will be that episode (isnt that about a sweet factory in Victorian England?). I would have thought either a moffat episode or perhaps the rumoured cyberman reboot by Neil Gaiman would at least be more appropriate.

Also off-topic is it just me who wishes RTD would come back and write a story? Especially in the 50th year, even if its just the christmas special following on from the 50th
  • aiseyaisey Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Wryip wrote: »
    Also off-topic is it just me who wishes RTD would come back and write a story? Especially in the 50th year, even if its just the christmas special following on from the 50th

I reckon he might do. As long as he doesn't bring back the Adipose.
    ;-0
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    aisey wrote: »
    I reckon he might do. As long as he doesn't bring back the Adipose.
    ;-0

Be great to see him write something again I miss him from the programme.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wryip wrote: »
    Its worth noting that episode 11 will be the 100th episode of nu-who. I guess with it falling in the same year as the 50th it will go by unnoticed, especially if it is indeed the Crimson Horror that will be that episode (isnt that about a sweet factory in Victorian England?). I would have thought either a moffat episode or perhaps the rumoured cyberman reboot by Neil Gaiman would at least be more appropriate.

No spoilers please. Let's just keep it to info about writers.

I'm sure Davies will be back eventually. He was keen not to remain hovering over the show like a spectre when he left and had also exhausted his ideas to an extent. But when enough time has passed and he feels he has some good ideas i'm sure he'll be back to write an episode or two. Personally, I think it would be nice to get a new standalone story from him, in the vein of Midnight and Love & Monsters, where he can just cut free, without the burden of the series overview, the way Moffat was able to do with his stories before he was showrunner. I think writing half a dozen stories a series, and having to have so many of them be 'event' episodes would dilute the quality of any writer's work, and that has been the case with both showrunners to an extent.