Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Ah, Arby had the syndrome known as Nostradamus Eyes at the end there!

Why did Grant give Alice the gun? He seemed distracted..maybe he recognised the name of the man at the door? If he didn't, that's one rather major question answered...if he did...he gave the gun to Alice as the name of the man at the door was more of a pressing concern and it's about to get very messy indeed, because...

I'm starting to, sadly, fear that Letts isn't rabbit...I still really, really want him to be as that would mean Stephen Rea as killing machine...but if he is, expect one or more of the gang to be killed next week.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the idea of Letts being Mr Rabbit is too obvious. Surely, Dennis Kelly would know that? He is a smart writer. I think he planted Letts as a red herring by saying that Mr Rabbit's real name starts with "L". We're meant to suspect Letts. But I do think Letts KNOWS where Mr Rabbit is hiding and he will help the gang to find him. Why else would he be captured? :cool:
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really turning into a cracking series and I'm finding it interesting seeing how posters here analyse the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is really turning into a cracking series and I'm finding it interesting seeing how posters here analyse the show.

I agree. Top thread. You should check out the Utopia thread on the Cult, Sci-fi, Fantasy forum too. :)

If we are to believe Jessica is a vaccinator... was she created for that reason? To be a walking, talking human vaccine lol? Does that mean Arby is a vaccine too? Maybe that's what Letts meant when he said Arby was "special".
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I think the idea of Letts being Mr Rabbit is too obvious. Surely, Dennis Kelly would know that? He is a smart writer. I think he planted Letts as a red herring by saying that Mr Rabbit's real name starts with "L". We're meant to suspect Letts. But I do think Letts KNOWS where Mr Rabbit is hiding and he will help the gang to find him. Why else would he be captured? :cool:

Because he has a box full of vaccine on him?

And if he's a red herring, what was Munroe? You're probably right, but there's enough left for me to hang onto yet-especially if Grant goes "hang on a minute..what did you say your name was?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    Because he has a box full of vaccine on him?

And if he's a red herring, what was Munroe? You're probably right, but there's enough left for me to hang onto yet-especially if Grant goes "hang on a minute..what did you say your name was?"

I think the Mr Rabbit and Vaccine plots will tie in together. The gang will use Letts to stop the Network's scheme whilst simultaneously tracking down Mr Rabbit, hence wrapping up both plots. Letts' capture has happened so the characters can achieve those two goals in my view.

I think both Letts and Munroe are red herrings. I'm not totally sure of course, but I just think Letts is way TOO obvious. Munroe as we know has been ruled out, so I don't think he's Mr Rabbit.
    I bet you I'm wrong and Letts will turn out to be Mr Rabbit though :D. Sometimes it's always the obvious answer.
    Yes, good point about Grant - I could imagine him saying that :D. If Letts wasn't captured to lead them to Mr Rabbit, then I think he is Mr Rabbit and the gang will learn his true identity. But I really hope he isn't lol. I want it to be someone we haven't met. I suppose we'll have wait and see if Letts has a Chinese character on his belly :D
    Forum Member
    We should have a sweepstake on first major character to pop their clogs!

Dugdale-not in a happy place
    Ian-still feels a bit too innocent, likely to make a fatal error
    Becky-she's very poorly
    Wilson-he's been through too much already, surely? But I thought he looked close to breaking point this week.
    Alice-as with Wilson, she's possibly come through too much, and is now after all Death's Anointed Avenging Angel..
    Grant-too cool, he'd just jump out of a nearby window anyhoo
    Arby-a noble death in the Cause of Righteousness surely awaits him, but in Ep 6, not 5 ;)
    Jessica-possibly unkillable, one way or another...
    Donaldson-found down a rabbit hole after overdosing on coke and hookers
    Letts-in theory the most in danger, but too smart, too manipulative, too important.
    Milner-again I can see her goose potentially getting cooked in Ep 6, not 5.
    Dugdale's Wife-is rape off the agenda now she has the home movies?
    Geoff-too evil not to suffer a "yes, get IN THERE" comeuppance in Ep 6? Hopefully at Dugdale's hands :)

At this stage, my vote would go to...Donaldson or Dugdale.
    Forum Member
    And T.K-yes, it's either a very obvious one where we the audience (that are paying a mere soupcon of attention-there are plenty of people who missed Letts and went for Lee!) are "in" on it, but nobody else is, or its an obvious red herring. Time will tell. It was a weak device making Grant forget the name in the first place, and I'm not sure I buy Milner going along with the gangs findings on Munro so readily-he probably was a mere cog as he protested.

Thus far, the only explanation I have for Grant giving the gun to Alice is to do with him recognising the name Letts. The scene and the Ep muddled to a very incoherent conclusion, as if the first scene of Ep 5 has to be the same one almost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, something I noticed about the name of the disease "DEALS". If I remember correctly, Becky described the plot of the comic as "about a scientist who makes a deal with the devil" - am I reading too much into that? :o Or does the name have significance in the context of the comic? After all, we know the comic references things indirectly like the insignia of Munroe's company that was shown throughout the comic.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone think that the names of Jessica and Arby having the rabbit connection is just a co-incidence?
    I just think it's interesting that we got a reveal of Arby's real name, Pyotr (Peter).
    Jessica Rabbit and Peter Rabbit.

Also what are the chances that there is an Alice in Wonderland connection?
    We have a character named Alice.
    And Alice went down the rabbit hole.
    Maybe Alice committing such a violent act as she did was the descent into the rabbit hole?
    Maybe simply by reading the comic is a descent into the rabbit hole and things become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Why rabbit? Is it because rabbits are something to hunt?
    Maybe as in Alice in Wonderland the rabbit leads one down a path into a different reality?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And T.K-yes, it's either a very obvious one where we the audience (that are paying a mere soupcon of attention-there are plenty of people who missed Letts and went for Lee!) are "in" on it, but nobody else is, or its an obvious red herring. Time will tell. It was a weak device making Grant forget the name in the first place, and I'm not sure I buy Milner going along with the gangs findings on Munro so readily-he probably was a mere cog as he protested.

Thus far, the only explanation I have for Grant giving the gun to Alice is to do with him recognising the name Letts. The scene and the Ep muddled to a very incoherent conclusion, as if the first scene of Ep 5 has to be the same one almost.

I agree. Man, I'm enjoying this show :D. I like a show that keeps me guessing. Hopefully, we will start getting some answers though. :cool:
    Forum Member
    I agree. Man, I'm enjoying this show :D. I like a show that keeps me guessing. Hopefully, we will start getting some answers though. :cool:

Totally agree. I stand by all my gushing about it rewarding attention and likewise my comparisons to The Prisoner, Lynch, Tarantino et al.
    Forum Member
    Anyone think that the names of Jessica and Arby having the rabbit connection is just a co-incidence?
    I just think it's interesting that we got a reveal of Arby's real name, Pyotr (Peter).

Maybe Alice committing such a violent act as she did was the descent into the rabbit hole?
    Maybe simply by reading the comic is a descent into the rabbit hole and things become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Maybe as in Alice in Wonderland the rabbit leads one down a path into a different reality?

Have you bought my "Donaldson is the Mad Hatter" line yet? Just watch the scene in the previous episode where he's running away from Dugdale down corridors :D

His whole performance in Ep 4 reeked of "of course, we're all mad here" ;)

Not to mention the rabbit outside the comic store in Ep1-that was just another reference though, it had no other deeper implications.
    Forum Member
    Oh, yeah, and heh, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, yeah, and heh, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis

Cool. That's interesting. But what's the connection to the Russian Flu/DEALS?

On a more amusing note, I'd laugh if Mr Rabbit is a man in a suit with a rabbit's head :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting thoughts and observations. I think one possibility concerning the rabbit connection could be that Jessica and Arby are actually both of Mr Rabbit's children.
    Also concerning Alice, maybe she's the key to finding Mr Rabbit? She's the only one who can go down the rabbit hole so to speak. Seeing as she read the comic, it's possible she knows something about Mr Rabbit the others don't.

I'm with your on the idea that by reading the comic, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think Arby read his own future in the comic and is attempting to embrace it by contacting Jessica - their stories are obviously linked. Arby realised he had a different role to play than the one he has been playing for years as a Network lackey.

As for the rabbit hole, it could be that by finding Mr Rabbit, they are going to be lead down the rabbit hole so to speak to a different reality - meaning a new "utopian" future which the Network are trying to achieve? Or maybe the meaning is more literal... maybe an alternate reality? There have been a few references in the show about "reality", especially in Episode 1 when Wilson described the comic as "a doorway into reality" - what does that mean? I'm just rambling here, sorry :o.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. I can't remember a show of the last few years that has intrigued me as much as Utopia has. Let's hope the remaining 3 episodes keeps up the quality for those of us who are enjoying it and brings a nice conclusion to the two central storylines.

im am really intrigued by it as well, although had a utopia inspired nitemare last nite!:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit disturbed to see Gatehouse and TK egging each other on with their ever more ludicrous theories, trying to find something that doesn't exist in every scene!

The one thing that I was able to make a final decision on last night was that of the clumsy editing and bad continuation. Being an editor myself I had noticed it several times and just thought that it was part of their style, but then last night in the scene where Becky and Ian were at the table tennis table there is a really obvious example of bad continuation, where in the shot looking at Ian, there are two plastic cups on the table and then when the camera cuts to Becky there is only one cup on the table and she has the other in her hand!

Shocking, shoddy and unforgivable to be honest, but no doubt Gatehouse will see some deep reasoning behind it.

Having said that, I am still watching it, although I did find last nights programme terribly slow and like others have noted, I really can't understand why, if the network did know where the group are, they just didn't send in a group of people to get rid of them rather than the obviously malfunctioning Arby.

Oh and by the way, several here have compared the series to other programmes so I'll tell you what it reminds me of. 'Five Go to....' and all that stuff, only with added violence!
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    You do know the final episode will pose more questions than answers? A second series has already been confirmed I believe :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you bought my "Donaldson is the Mad Hatter" line yet? Just watch the scene in the previous episode where he's running away from Dugdale down corridors :D

His whole performance in Ep 4 reeked of "of course, we're all mad here" ;)

Not to mention the rabbit outside the comic store in Ep1-that was just another reference though, it had no other deeper implications.

No I haven't. I completely missed that line. I'll have to watch that bit you mention again. Good spot.:)

I do realise that frequently the writers of things such as this love to put red herrings in there, but I find it as interesting to see how they play with them as I do with the real clues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit disturbed to see Gatehouse and TK egging each other on with their ever more ludicrous theories, trying to find something that doesn't exist in every scene!

The one thing that I was able to make a final decision on last night was that of the clumsy editing and bad continuation. Being an editor myself I had noticed it several times and just thought that it was part of their style, but then last night in the scene where Becky and Ian were at the table tennis table there is a really obvious example of bad continuation, where in the shot looking at Ian, there are two plastic cups on the table and then when the camera cuts to Becky there is only one cup on the table and she has the other in her hand!

Shocking, shoddy and unforgivable to be honest, but no doubt Gatehouse will see some deep reasoning behind it.

Having said that, I am still watching it, although I did find last nights programme terribly slow and like others have noted, I really can't understand why, if the network did know where the group are, they just didn't send in a group of people to get rid of them rather than the obviously malfunctioning Arby.

Oh and by the way, several here have compared the series to other programmes so I'll tell you what it reminds me of. 'Five Go to....' and all that stuff, only with added violence!

I'm not, I love it.:D
    I love to see posters coming up with creative theories about shows such as this and Life on Mars. It's sometimes what hooks me into a series.
    I love reading posts such as the ones on this thread which get my own creative juices flowing.
    It doesn't matter if the theories are wrong. It can be just as satisfying for posters to collaborate with theories as it sort of almost creates new original stories.

Anyway, it's no different to what the characters in the story themselves are doing with the comic book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian and Becky ate the crisps made by that dodgy manufacturer, and isn't the virus supposed to be untreatable for some races?

Surely Jessica was kissing Ian to cure him from the virus the crisps gave him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willz wrote: »
    Ian and Becky ate the crisps made by that dodgy manufacturer, and isn't the virus supposed to be untreatable for some races?

Surely Jessica was kissing Ian to cure him from the virus the crisps gave him?

Did you spot any logo on the crisp packet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you spot any logo on the crisp packet?

Yeah, Wilson pointed it out
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is the nathan stuart jarret character an undercover operative as well ?