Options

The Late Late Show with James Corden – weeknights at 12:35am on CBS

Comments

• Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that these late night chat shows don't transfer particularly well to the UK (as the travails of Conan O'Brien at TruTV show) but I'm slightly surprised no channel's picked up the Corden show here. He is quite a big name on this side of 'the pond'.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The musical guests seem to be Brit heavy.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've kept up watching early mornings and usually forget what's happened :D and some of the guests i've not heard of and/or have no real interest in.

He's getting some big names as well though.

That’s to be expected of the 12:35am slot though, a mixture of big name guests along with some other lesser known guests. It was the same for Craig Ferguson, and is the same for Seth Meyers. The 11:35pm slot (Fallon/Letterman) is the home of the more consistent big names. I think James Corden is doing alright in terms of big name guests considering.
    I know that these late night chat shows don't transfer particularly well to the UK (as the travails of Conan O'Brien at TruTV show) but I'm slightly surprised no channel's picked up the Corden show here. He is quite a big name on this side of 'the pond'.

I’m slightly surprised too. I wouldn’t expect it to have a prime slot on a major channel over here, but I was expecting it to be given a chance somewhere. But maybe the fact that it only gets ’12:35am slot’ guests, as referred to above, is what UK broadcasters are nervous of.
    The musical guests seem to be Brit heavy.

I agree. But considering a lot of the musical acts on the 12:35am shows are ‘making their network television debut’ anyway the show might be being seen as an opportunity to boost Brit acts in the US as the show probably has a certain Anglophile audience to it.
  • Options
    primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    That’s to be expected of the 12:35am slot though, a mixture of big name guests along with some other lesser known guests. It was the same for Craig Ferguson, and is the same for Seth Meyers. The 11:35pm slot (Fallon/Letterman) is the home of the more consistent big names. I think James Corden is doing alright in terms of big name guests considering.

I’m slightly surprised too. I wouldn’t expect it to have a prime slot on a major channel over here, but I was expecting it to be given a chance somewhere. But maybe the fact that it only gets ’12:35am slot’ guests, as referred to above, is what UK broadcasters are nervous of.

I agree. But considering a lot of the musical acts on the 12:35am shows are ‘making their network television debut’ anyway the show might be being seen as an opportunity to boost Brit acts in the US as the show probably has a certain Anglophile audience to it.

Shame you didn't keep him on your side of the pond.

The show still stinks. Something about him showing his roly poly bod on last night's show. Couldn't get away quick enough.

Ferguson he ain't. Then again, Ferguson ain't Ferguson in his new digs.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had Arnie on last night, Mr Terminator himself. Hardly what i call a 12.35am guest. He's had some great guests on. They're hardly D-list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    He had Arnie on last night, Mr Terminator himself. Hardly what i call a 12.35am guest. He's had some great guests on. They're hardly D-list.
    I don't think it's much different to UK chat shows. Even here a 'celeb' will appear on a show and UK viewers won't have heard of them never mind a US audience.

Imagine the US audience tuning in to this Friday's Norton show with Miranda Hart and Greg Davies.

I realise that US/Can/Aus telly is big over here but there are still shows and the stars of them that i've never heard of but they are fitting them in between A-listers like Arnie and Crowe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame you didn't keep him on your side of the pond.

The show still stinks. Something about him showing his roly poly bod on last night's show. Couldn't get away quick enough.

Ferguson he ain't. Then again, Ferguson ain't Ferguson in his new digs.

Looking at the ratings you might be out of luck, Corden is closing in on Seth Meyers so it looks like he’ll be on the Late Late Show for a while yet.
    I think Corden is doing a good job, but I do miss Craig Ferguson too. What do you mean by “Ferguson ain't Ferguson in his new digs”? Are you referring to ‘Celebrity Name Game’? If so, I agree, the show itself is alright but it doesn’t allow Ferguson to be Ferguson. It’s a shame the deal for his new 7pm talk show fell through. I heard he’s just done a sitcom pilot for ABC so maybe he’s going in that direction now.
    MrSuper wrote: »

I didn’t say they were all D-list celebrities, just that for every A-list celebrity you’ll get a sitcom start from a cable show that not everyone has heard of, particularly in the UK, which is why I think UK broadcasters haven’t picked up the show. The consistence of A-list celebrities simply isn’t consistent enough, and you wouldn’t expect it to be on one of the 12:35am shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penny from The Big Bang Theory was on last night and LL Cool J from Lip Sync Battle. Another set of good quality guests.

Whoever Kaley's stylist is needs to be sacked. Her outfit was horrendous, it looked like a black bin bag!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strange show the other night.

The interview was interrupted by the fire alarm and they went to a break. They then returned on the roof of the studio.

It's pretty obvious what happened but I was just puzzled why it wasn't even mentioned just in passing.

Also, i'm not sure of the filming pattern but it looks as though all the studio bits are filmed first, even the outros and the guests are interviewed last then it's edited to suit.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    I didn't see the whole episode, but on the clips you can see a fire in the back of the set. I presumed it was an intentional bit they would refer to later. Weird if they didn't even mention it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange show the other night.

The interview was interrupted by the fire alarm and they went to a break. They then returned on the roof of the studio.

It's pretty obvious what happened but I was just puzzled why it wasn't even mentioned just in passing.
    Joooe wrote: »
    I didn't see the whole episode, but on the clips you can see a fire in the back of the set. I presumed it was an intentional bit they would refer to later. Weird if they didn't even mention it.

I don’t want to accuse them of doing it for publicity, but the fire itself looked extremely staged. I mean, NO ONE noticed it?!? Not Corden, not the guests, not the production crew, yet it’s extremely obvious to the viewer... come on! It’s not like it’s a live show, if the stage was on fire they could have stopped taping. And then to just come back from commercial and continue the interview on the roof without any mention as to why?! Hmmmm..... I’m just a bit sceptical.

I did remind me a bit of Conan back in his ‘Late Night’ years when a fire damaged their studio and they did the following show (or few shows) from layzee boy chairs in the reception of Rockafella Plaza in amongst the public.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don’t want to accuse them of doing it for publicity, but the fire itself looked extremely staged. I mean, NO ONE noticed it?!? Not Corden, not the guests, not the production crew, yet it’s extremely obvious to the viewer... come on! It’s not like it’s a live show, if the stage was on fire they could have stopped taping. And then to just come back from commercial and continue the interview on the roof without any mention as to why?! Hmmmm..... I’m just a bit sceptical.

I did remind me a bit of Conan back in his ‘Late Night’ years when a fire damaged their studio and they did the following show (or few shows) from layzee boy chairs in the reception of Rockafella Plaza in amongst the public.

Reminds me of the fake falling down the stairs that American woman did on his show a few weeks back (cant remember her name) which caused Cordon to run to her in faux shock and concern. Painful to watch. The audience barely battered an eyelid as the stunt woman tumbled down the stairs. Obviously rehearsed many times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've said it before and i'll say it again, Corden should not run on telly. He looks like a complete tool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I somehow missed the news that The Late Late Show with James Corden has been nominated for a Critics Choice Award, not bad for a show that’s only been on the air for a couple of months.

One thing I’ve been meaning to ask for a while... Does anyone know the significance of the desk bell on Corden’s desk? Most US talk shows have an old style microphone, but Corden has a desk bell yet I’ve never seen him actually use it. I was wondering if it was a back reference to Craig Ferguson’s reign, as he used to have a desk bell. I was wondering if it was actually the same bell, maybe given to him by Ferguson? Anyone know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never even noticed it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He had 1Direction on the other night. Pretty big coup for him over all the other talk shows considering how massive the boyband are,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I’ve been meaning to ask for a while... Does anyone know the significance of the desk bell on Corden’s desk?
    Never even noticed it :D

It’s always on his desk, on our left, his right. I like the idea that it’s the actual bell Craig Ferguson used to use on his incarnation of the show, maybe he gave it to him as a welcoming gift? I have no idea if that’s true though.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the fire was deliberate. Small things happen in the background that are ignored by everyone but will get viewers talking and thus he is playing with their minds. It gives them new things to look out for and it comes across a little "Airplane-y" with background jokes ignored by the foreground and absurd things going on with no explanation.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5088469.article

A number of British broadcasters are lining up to acquire The Late Late Show with James Corden but the show is unlikely to air in the UK before the end of the year.

The Gavin & Stacey star took over from Craig Ferguson on the CBS talkshow in March and the show has been welcomed by viewers, helped by appearances from guests including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Hanks and One Direction.

The nightly series is exec produced by The Michael McIntyre Chat Show producer Ben Winston and produced by UK indie Fulwell 73 Productions, where Winston is a co-director, in association with CBS Television Studios.

The series has been sold by CBS Studios International to a number of global broadcasters including Canada’s CTV and Australia’s Network Ten as well as into Japan.

However Corden is understood to have asked the studio not to sell the show to a UK broadcaster until it is fully developed. Having fronted just over 30 episodes, Corden is thought to have requested he is granted a few more months on-air before the show airs in his home market.

The Late Late Show with James Corden airs at 12:30am, immediately after The Late Show with David Letterman. Following Letterman’s departure this week, Corden’s show will air after a series of The Late Show repeats until Stephen Colbert joins the channel in September.

Together with Winston, The Wrong Mans star has slightly refreshed the show’s initial format and is plotting some “great summer plans” rather than “throw everything” into the show directly after Letterman’s exit and the “tricky” summer period.

US talkshows have generally struggled to find an audience in the UK. Most recently free-to-air channel TruTV pushed Conan from 11pm to 1am after low ratings.

However CBS has received a number of offers from UK broadcasters. This is due to the popularity of The League Of Their Own host and the fact that the format of the show, in which several guests appear at the same time, mirrors British series such as BBC1’s The Graham Norton Show.

“The wheel is turning right now,” said CBS Distribution president and chief executive Armando Nunez. “James has done a phenomenal job of reinventing that show. He’s an amazing talent and is engaging and captivating and is fast on his feet. He has a very endearing quality about him.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That’s very interesting, if true. I’d never thought that Corden himself might be blocking a UK broadcaster from picking up the programme due to him wanting to refine it first. I was assuming he’d want a UK broadcaster to pick it up immediately so that he maintains a career presence in his homeland.
    I wonder what these ‘number of British broadcasters lining up to acquire’ the programme are? Sky1? Channel 5 (or one of its digital channels)? ITV2?
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That article is a load of bull if you ask me. There is no way in the world that CBS would turn down good money "now" from a UK broadcaster just because Corden asked them to. And there is no way Corden himself would say his show isnt fully developed "yet" as it implies that its not very good yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No so sure. Corden is bit of a marmite character. He might want to be fully settled into the role/show and make sure it is still successful after 1 year as if it gets broadcast over here it will definitely get a slagging off from some just because they don't like Corden.

Just take a look in the Showbiz forum calling the show a failure because of the ratings - by people not understanding the US ratings and what numbers are successful, especially for that timeslot.

and many happy Corden has ****ed off to the states yet still hoping the show will fail because of him.

I doubt many of them have watched an episode or even a clip of the show.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Nice to see the show getting a ratings boost from the final episode of Letterman. 4 million viewers, the largest audience for any Late Late show apparently and its best 18-49 rating since December 2005.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A version of this story wad on Good Morning Britain this morning, however they reported that Corden didn't want his Late Late Show broadcast in the UK because he'd rather be thought of as an actor in his home country.
    That makes no sense to me as his most successful recent TV venture in the UK has been A League Of Their Own on Sky 1. And he's certainly not got the time to be a professional actor right any more.

The story that he wants to 'perfect' his show before it's shown in the UK makes sense to me though, and its quite plausible that he has an agreement with CBS to not sell the rights to the UK for, say, 6 or 12 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see the show getting a ratings boost from the final episode of Letterman. 4 million viewers, the largest audience for any Late Late show apparently and its best 18-49 rating since December 2005.

Impressive, but expected. Still 4 million for a programme that started at 1am in the morning is very, very good.

I think Corden is taking his first break next week, which seems like a good time to do it (what with Letterman now off the air). It's going to be a long, tough, summer for Corden though with no lead-in.