Options

A Fine Romance

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
Forum Member
Drama will be starting repeats of this 80s sitcom, starring Judi Dench and Michael Williams, from the 10th August. I've been waiting years to see this again so it's welcome news! I've only recently bought the first series on dvd not expecting a repeat, but never mind :D Hopefully we will be getting all four series.

Comments

• Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw the ad. and clips earlier today but I missed the start date so thanks for the tip. I shall be looking forward to it. I wonder why it has taken so long for them to show it.
  • Options
    Music Lover OneMusic Lover One Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I love this programme and I have DVD of the complete series of it. I'll still watch it when it is shown on tv :)
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I bought the whole series on DVD a few years ago.

A complete joy.

I love the episode when Mike takes Laura to the dentist. lol

Though I do have the DVD's I'll still record the series to watch the episodes again.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded them all on VHS back in the day. Have the complete set on dvd now. Still one of my favourite shows, not least because I had a huge crush on Susan Penhaligon when I was younger! Wrote to her agent asking for va signed photo and got one back in the post a couple of months later. Still got it somewhere.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this show. They had such chemistry, but that was hardly suprising.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrific series. Really liked it as a youngster; especially the Michael Williams character. As a rather shy young kid, the awkward and a bit short character I could really identify with! (helped that he was called Mike.) liked it so much at the time...I even bought the book. Shame I lost it somewhere down the line; it was unsurprisingly very well written.

Got the first two series on DVD and it holds up, I think. Dench and Williams are a joy together.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for another great heads up, ilw :)

I was just a small child when this was first shown so most of it was lost on me but the cosy, safe, middle classness of it evoked a sense of reassuring warmth. Those feelings came flooding back when I rewatched every episode a couple of years ago, some thirty years later.

Probably my favourite ever opening credits too, sung by Dench of course.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cor, a nice start. What with Susan Penhaligon in a bra and panties. :)

And now an 80s jumpsuit. :p
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im recording this after Goodnight Sweetheart, enjoyed it when first saw it, which was quite a while ago now. :)
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show, especially Mike he was such a lovely character. Every time my mug gets stuck to a coaster I think of him.:D
    Have it all on DVD as well must get the book now.;-)
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only vaguely remembered this but then I think it was 1980 if I read he Roman numerals at the end correctly :o anyway thoroughly enjoyed my recording today and have the series link set. Smiled at the opening shot of ms penhaligon in her Janet reger. Wonder if they'd try such a gratuitous opening scene now?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Only vaguely remembered this but then I think it was 1980 if I read he Roman numerals at the end correctly :o anyway thoroughly enjoyed my recording today and have the series link set. Smiled at the opening shot of ms penhaligon in her Janet reger. Wonder if they'd try such a gratuitous opening scene now?

Yes 1980 / 81 for the first series.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Drama will be starting repeats of this 80s sitcom, starring Judi Dench and Michael Williams, from the 10th August. I've been waiting years to see this again so it's welcome news! I've only recently bought the first series on dvd not expecting a repeat, but never mind :D Hopefully we will be getting all four series.

Thanks for that info...I used to love this series and really enjoyed watching the first episode again and have the rest on record!
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this back in the 80s and enjoying it again 30 odd years later! I'd forgotten it was Richard Warwick as the brother in law. He sadly died from aids.
    LWT produced some excellent comedies. I would love to see again
    Please Sir
    Agony
    No Honestly
    Yes Honestly
    Billy Liar
    Hark at Barker
    Maggie and Her
    Twos Company
    Plus Russ Abbott and Stanley Baxter Shows
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone remember a series called September Song that Michael Williams did with Russ Abbott in the early 90's? I don't think it has ever been repeated!
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a series called September Song that Michael Williams did with Russ Abbott in the early 90's? I don't think it has ever been repeated!

I remember it....was different seeing Russ Abbot in a straight acting role. Heres a clip for info...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjix6y-S-Lo
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching on Drama forgot how in the early 80's main colour scheme seemed to be grey and beige.
  • Options
    mark_beachmark_beach Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I bought the whole series on DVD a few years ago.
    A complete joy.
    I love the episode when Mike takes Laura to the dentist. lol
    Though I do have the DVD's I'll still record the series to watch the episodes again.
    I went looking for this & looky here :p > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzde1bl4vWY
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I am so enjoying watching this series again after so many years...it really is a delight and Judi Dench and Michael Williams play their parts to perfection....
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I too love this show - watched it all the first time around. Slightly off topic but one show I did like at the time and I've never seen repeated was 'Dear John'.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We loved this when it first started. Series 1 was absolutely brilliant. I thought it went off later on.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura's brother in law is kind of annoying, he literally runs from room to room, every movement has a bizarre sense of urgency, nothing natural about him at all.

Was he more of a stage actor?
  • Options
    DavidJ28DavidJ28 Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    I loved this back in the 80s and enjoying it again 30 odd years later! I'd forgotten it was Richard Warwick as the brother in law. He sadly died from aids.
    LWT produced some excellent comedies. I would love to see again
    Please Sir
    Agony
    No Honestly
    Yes Honestly
    Billy Liar
    Hark at Barker
    Maggie and Her
    Twos Company
    Plus Russ Abbott and Stanley Baxter Shows

Thanks for that eye3, I had no idea Richard Warwick had died. Only 52, so young. He just always seemed like one of those actors who would pop up as a guest star in Midsummer Murders or something, still working away.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    People (including me) often say that ITV rarely produced a true 'calssic' in the sitcom genre. 'Rising Damp' is cited as their one winner.

ITV did, however, produce some very, very good sitcoms, 'Fine Romance' being a prime example. Two great leads, playing off each other brilliantly.

And, it's one of the few shows I remember watching with my Mum and both of us laughing our heads off.
  • Options
    TookahTookah Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I've caught a few episodes of this over the last few weeks. I think I might buy the box set. I didn't realise Bob Larbey wrote it, the same guy who wrote The Good Life and As Time Goes By, two of my favourite sitcoms.