Sian O Callaghan murderer given 25 years in jail after pleading guilty

mich_izzlemich_izzle Posts: 735
Forum Member
✭✭
A taxi driver has pleaded guilty to the murder of Sian O'Callaghan who went missing after visiting a nightclub in Swindon in March last year.

Christopher Halliwell, 48, of Ashbury Avenue, sexually assaulted the 22-year-old office worker and stabbed her in the head and neck.

He was sentenced to a minimum of 25 years in prison.

A charge of murdering Becky Godden, 28, will lie on file as a detective did not follow arrest guidelines.

It can be reported for the first time that the second charge was withdrawn after a High Court judge ruled Det Supt Steve Fulcher breached Halliwell's rights by failing to caution him and denying him a solicitor in an attempt to force information out of him.

'Inappropriate contact'
During a series of one-to-one interviews over the course of three hours, Halliwell confessed to murdering Miss O'Callaghan and took Mr Fulcher to her body.

Halliwell killed Miss O'Callaghan in Savernake Forest
He then admitted he had killed another woman and showed the detective where Miss Godden was buried.

The judge said: "As soon as he began to talk about another offence it is clear that he should have been cautioned."

Wiltshire Police said Mr Fulcher has been suspended pending an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) into allegations of "inappropriate contact with the media".

IPCC Commissioner Naseem Malik said: "Now that the criminal process has concluded the IPCC can start its investigation into the police investigation into the tragic deaths of these two young women.

"The IPCC will also separately investigate allegations that Det Supt Steve Fulcher, from Wiltshire Police, spoke about the case to some media outlets on separate occasions contrary to force instructions, the force media strategy and policies."

He said an investigation into five complaints against the force - not relating to Mr Fulcher - had already been completed and three complaints were upheld.

Mr Malik said the force had agreed to apologise to the complainant and review its family liaison policy.

'Raw pain'
Halliwell was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court to life in prison with a minimum term of 25 years for the murder of Miss O'Callaghan.

She had left the Suju nightclub at 02:53 GMT on 19 March for the short journey home.

Her body was found days later near the Uffington White Horse in Oxfordshire.

Becky Godden's family vowed to keep up the "fight for justice"
The court heard Halliwell had been cruising around Swindon that night deliberately looking for a victim.

He had switched off the radio inside his vehicle which allowed colleagues at his taxi company to know where he was.

After leaving the nightclub, Miss O'Callaghan walked past the Goddard Arms on High Street in the Old Town area and got into Halliwell's taxi.

He drove his victim to Savernake Forest, near Marlborough in Wiltshire, where he killed her.

Using CCTV, police identified Halliwell through the number plate on his car and he was put under surveillance.

He made four visits to where Miss O'Callaghan's body was hidden in the 24 hours after her abduction.

By the early hours of 21 March Halliwell had moved the body from Savernake Forest to the spot where it was later found.

'Great dignity'
He then attempted to cover his tracks by cleaning his car and burning his seat covers.

Sian's mother Elaine O'Callaghan: ''I want her to be remembered as the incredible person that she was''
Halliwell was also captured on CCTV at a petrol station with posters about Miss O'Callaghan's disappearance in the rear windows of his taxi.

When Miss O'Callaghan's body was discovered five days after she went missing, her father Mick spoke of the family's "raw and overwhelming" pain.

Miss O'Callaghan's family were in court to see Halliwell plead guilty.

A victim impact statement from her boyfriend Kevin Reape, which was read in court, said his heart had been "ripped out" and his life "destroyed".

Speaking outside the court, Mr O'Callaghan said he wanted to thank Det Supt Fulcher for finding his daughter's body so soon.

'No understanding'
"Our thoughts go to Becky's family and hope their conclusion comes as it has for us," he said.

Det Ch Supt Kier Pritchard, of Wiltshire Police, said: "Sian's family and loved ones have shown great dignity throughout the court process.

Becky Godden's mother, Karen Edward: ''The fight for justice for Becky has only just begun''
"I hope this conviction will in someway help the family move forward and onward with their lives."

Karen Edwards, Becky Godden's mother, said: "After a very complicated and painful journey over the last 18 months, Sian's family have today had the justice for the murder of their beautiful daughter.

"However our family's fight for justice for Becky has only just begun.

"Even though Becky has been found, after all this time we still have no full understanding of how she met her death.

"Wiltshire Police will be continuing the ongoing investigation into my daughter Becky's murder.

"As you can imagine this has been a very dreadful time for all our family and I would like to thank everyone for their continuing support in striving for justice for Becky."

Comments

• LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mich_izzle wrote: »
    A charge of murdering Becky Godden, 28, will lie on file as a detective did not follow arrest guidelines.

It can be reported for the first time that the second charge was withdrawn after a High Court judge ruled Det Supt Steve Fulcher breached Halliwell's rights by failing to caution him and denying him a solicitor in an attempt to force information out of him.

You really couldn't make it up.

I know one thing - if I or someone I loved went missing, I'd want a copper like Steve Fulcher on the case.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    an absolute shambles and there needs to be an enquiry. so if someone walks into a station, admits to a murder and shows officers where the body is, if the copper doesnt give him his rights etc then the charge is null & void. only in the UK
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks OP, saves me popping over to the BBC web site.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    25 years for 1 life. This is how cheap life is in Europe.
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member

He isn't coming out, don't fret.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    idiot copper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idiot copper.

He's far from being an idiot. He was hoping to find Sian alive and every minute counted.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgraceful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Becky's mum is supporting DS Fulcher.
    Becky Godden-Edwards mother praises police actions
    Becky Godden-Edwards’ mother last night praised the actions of suspended detective Steve Fulcher and said he was a “hero” who had lost his job trying to catch a killer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9619733/Becky-Godden-Edwards-mother-praises-police-actions.html
    She added: “If he had played by the book, Halliwell would have been taken back to the police station with a lawyer and would have never said a word about where Becky and Sian’s bodies were. Two families would have been left not knowing what had happened to their loved ones. How can what Steve Fulcher did be wrong?”

Mrs Edwards’s went on: “It is all about Halliwell’s human rights, but what about my human rights? What about Becky’s human rights?

“We are living in a nanny state, where it is all about the human rights of those who commit crimes." ....

.... Mrs Edwards has vowed to continue fighting for justice for her daughter and has said she will also campaign to have DS Fulcher reinstated and cleared of any wrongdoing.
  • c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive got mixed views on this.

On one hand i praise the detective as it is possible that had he acted differently they would never have found either body (almost certainly the second one)

On the other hand the family of Becky may never get justice for her death now which is a tragedy.

Suppose weighing things up they now know who killed her and they have been able to give her a funeral rather than always wondering what happened.

Just goes to show how vital it is to follow proceedure this case could have been very different , as it happens hes serving a life sentence but what if he had not been convicted of Sian's murder? A murderer would be walking free because of an error by the detective.

Having said that if Becky's mum is praising the policeman and they now have some finality to it all then maybe he did the right thing.

Whatever he did right or wrong i believe he did it with the best intentions and is probably devastated at what has happened since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4ll3mw wrote: »
    Whatever he did right or wrong i believe he did it with the best intentions and is probably devastated at what has happened since.

He still caught the bastard. And I'd be very surprised if those were the only two murders Halliwell's committed, being so many years apart. He might go down for something else yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He still caught the bastard. And I'd be very surprised if those were the only two murders Halliwell's committed, being so many years apart. He might go down for something else yet.

Quite and recovered the body of another girl that gave her family closure.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    He isn't coming out, don't fret.

He could very well still be alive in 25 years time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    He could very well still be alive in 25 years time.

That's his minimum term. The parole board will decide when he is released after the 25 years.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mich_izzle wrote: »
    He was sentenced to a minimum of 25 years in prison.

... as in he won't be released for 25 years or more.

Most likely a lot more in this case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many did Anders Breivik kill, he got 21 years. He won't get out either.
  • c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope he does! Said on radio they were looking at other missing women cases, i agree probably many others.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whole life tariff, now he's been formally sentenced over Becky Godden as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3803629/Double-killer-Christopher-Halliwell-die-jail-Becky-Godden-murder.html
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She sounds like am amazing lady.