Options

Stopping Distances

tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My maths course came up with this in a chapter on modelling:
Most cars with brakes in good condition can achieve a braking force corresponding to a = −8ms −2. The minimum requirement for passing the annual UK vehicle test corresponds to only a = −5ms −2. The UK HighwayCode gives a table of stopping distances which are based on an acceleration of about a = −6.56 ms−2 .

The stopping distances in the highway code haven't changed for at least 30 years but cars, brakes and tyres have improved.
So what are the real stopping distances and does the "2 second" rule need to be called the 1.5 second rule (or other) ?

Comments

• Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come again?
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    The stopping distances in the highway code haven't changed for at least 30 years but cars, brakes and tyres have improved.
    So what are the real stopping distances and does the "2 second" rule need to be called the 1.5 second rule (or other) ?

They did a test on this subject on Top Gear a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGkKDaYd3Mo

The conclusion - if you are going to walk out in front of a car - make sure its a fast one :D
  • Options
    Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've thought about this. Modern cars stopping distances are far shorter. However, the Highway Code cannot account for each particular type of car so just generalises. I expect it is better to teach a longer stopping distance as its safer.

I stick to around 2 car lengths behind vehicles and the 2 second rule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    The conclusion - if you are going to walk out in front of a car - make sure its a fast one :D
    Thanks, I'm off to buy a Lexus then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 car lengths :eek:
    I suppose I have thought about it more, as whenever I leave a gap on the A12 or M25, someone always pulls in to it, so I am left wondering if I can stop in time.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've thought about this. Modern cars stopping distances are far shorter. However, the Highway Code cannot account for each particular type of car so just generalises. I expect it is better to teach a longer stopping distance as its safer.

2 car lengths is dangerously close.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's what you should do on escalators too.:D

I was on one yesterday at a tube station and it nearly ended in a close call at the bottom of it:D.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most cars with brakes in good condition can achieve a braking force corresponding to a = −8ms −2. The minimum requirement for passing the annual UK vehicle test corresponds to only a = −5ms −2. The UK HighwayCode gives a table of stopping distances which are based on an acceleration of about a = −6.56 ms−2 .

as far as I know the brake test for cars registered after 2011 now requires an increased braking power for the MOT test, bearing in mind that the U.K has 2 seperate although very similar MOT tests.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here's the table of stopping distances from the 1946 edition of the Highway Code. Look familiar? :D

The upshot of the figures being quoted in your maths course is that the Highway Code gives a stopping distance from 70mph of 315 feet (about 20 Mondeos) in perfect conditions. With "good" tyres and brakes, and again in perfect conditions, you might be able to stop in 270 feet - or about 3 Mondeos less. But to pass the MOT, your brakes only need to be able to stop you within 390 feet, which is 6 Mondeos more.

At 30mph, the official distance is 40 feet, but the question of whether your brakes / tyres are "good" or "just legal" still makes a car-length's difference either side of that.

To conclude - if you're relying on stopping distances to come to a halt with a few inches to spare... you're too close.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The trend towards cars stopping more quickly is set to reverse in the next few years IMO.

The industry is moving more and more toward 'eco' tyres. These have been shown in a number of studies to provide inferior grip to mainstream tyres due to the inferior grip due to decreased rolling resistance.

For example, a recent 5th Gear showed an expensive Continental eco tyre taking 7m longer to stop from 40mph in wet conditions than a fairly bog-standard budget Matador tyre.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of changing the stopping distances they should just increase the speed limit to compensate :D
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    like a lot of things now its the human thats the weakest link now

death rates have declined consistantly for decades

we need to take the human out of the loop

funny that insurance has rocketed because of shister lawyers tho
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we need to take the human out of the loop

Some cars have - our Volvo has a pedestrian detection system that has cameras to detect both pedestrians and cars in front. If it detects a collision is likely and the human behind the wheel either hasn't braked or isn't braking hard enough - it will take over.

Such systems will likely be common place in a few years.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    if anyone is interested there is a way of working out the highway code stopping distances. well there are a few, it's a quadratic. but the one you can do in your head during a driving test.

(x/20 + 1) * x

so at say 60mph

60/20 =3
    +1 = 4
    4 * 60 = 240 feet
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    They did a test on this subject on Top Gear a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGkKDaYd3Mo

they actually use the wrong distance. at 70mph it's 315 feet. i guess they were taking off the reaction time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    they actually use the wrong distance. at 70mph it's 315 feet. i guess they were taking off the reaction time.

Yep - they weren't reacting to danger - just braking at a pre-defined point, therefore the thinking/reaction distance doesn't come into play.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Common sense suggests that road conditions have deteriorated by roughly the same amount that cars have improved so the same rules of thumb can apply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Common sense suggests that road conditions have deteriorated by roughly the same amount that cars have improved so the same rules of thumb can apply.
    Well, maybe in Scotland :D
  • Options
    Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where to find actual stopping distances from real world tests as opposed to the Highway Code?

There was an article about speed in a DeLorean in the Guardian last week - https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/83315054 and some one claimed that a BMW 318d will stop in 36m.

I had a quick google to see if there had been any real world tests done, and I found an article on auto express unfortunately back in 2011.

The Mercedes S320 CD stopped in 47.7 meters. I have no idea really about cars and whilst they don't seem to be in a totally different class the Mercedes takes an around 32% greater distance to stop. Strangely the BMW X6 an SUV has a shorter distance of 45.7 meters.

Then a more recent article on super minis (2012) says that the VW Polo stops in 34.2m.

I can't find anything newer than that. Now the tests must include thinking distance, but would the 36m stated for the 318d be excluding that? The weight of a Polo must be a lot less than the BMW, can breaking systems really make up for the weight difference?

It looks like the weight of the Mercedes is 1955kg vs 1,505kg of the BMW so maybe that's what makes the difference, but I have no proof of the 36m stated for the BMW318. The Vauxhall Insignia is a similar weight to the BMW but I would not imagine it is in the same group as the BMW as it is only a family car.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stone Free wrote: »
    There was an article about speed in a DeLorean in the Guardian last week - https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/83315054

There's some joke in there about the DeLorean having the longest stopping distance of all as it was slowing down in 1985 even though it started off in 1885, but I can't really be arsed making it work and it's not that funny anyway.
  • Options
    Kitty CatKitty Cat Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    That's what you should do on escalators too.:D

I was on one yesterday at a tube station and it nearly ended in a close call at the bottom of it:D.

I nearly did likewise - at the top of it..! :D
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    No matter how good the tyres and braking system is on a vehicle the weak point is the person behind the wheel. It can be a high performance car with the very best in brakes/tyres, but driver reaction is what matters most.

A very good demo of this was shown on a programme David Coulthard made together with Guy Martin. Coulthard arrived at the track with an F1 car and Martin brought his race bike along.

The braking distance test from 100mph to a stop proved interesting. Both came fairly close but the F1 car beat the bike on that.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,702
    Forum Member
    Not sure how comparing the stopping distance of a car with a bike supports your argument. It is well known that a bike has less stopping power than a car.
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not sure how comparing the stopping distance of a car with a bike supports your argument. It is well known that a bike has less stopping power than a car.
    Maybe i should have explained better. Both machines very sophisticated engineering with the best braking/tyre combination hence able to 'stop on a sixpence', but only because of the driver skill.

Look what happens with the many supercars flying around on the roads. Well engineered but driven by unskilled drivers with poor reaction times.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    As a learner driver many years ago I was taught that one should drive at a distance such that you could stop in time if the car in front turned instantaneously into a brick wall. The thinking being that if the car in front has an accident it will stop more or less instantaneously. Most people simply do not drive at an adequate distance to stop in time. Better modern brakes make little difference when the Neanderthal brain of the driver has not been similarly upgraded. Human reaction times have not improved and there are now so many distractions the likelihood is that if the car in front of you has an accident then you will be part of that accident a few seconds later. Two car lengths is a completely inadequate distance in my view. And the two seconds rule is a minimum not a recommendation.

Personally I don't understand why the majority of drivers drive so close. They're like sheep driving around in little flocks. There's little advantage in driving close to the car in front unless there's the imminent opportunity to overtake. Personally I don't drive around in these little convoys that most people seem to favour. I always leave a gap of two, three or even four times the distance most people seem to drive at. I find it makes for a more relaxing drive. My attention is not solely focused on the rear end of the car in front. I can see past the car and take in what's happening further up the line or elsewhere on the road. If something happens I'm not dependent on stopping distance. I've got time to consider what to do. Very often I don't have to take any evasive action of break at all because of the increased distance.