Terence Crutcher - shot dead by police

PeePee Posts: 8,154
Forum Member
A Tulsa police officer shot and killed an African American man who ignored repeated requests to put up his hands before reaching into an SUV that was stalled in the middle of a street, the police department said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/17/tulsa-oklahoma-police-shooting-suv

and then video emerges...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr_CWr5iSLY
The video, as well as disturbing footage from a police helicopter, appears to back up his family's assertion that his hands were in the air at all times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37413558
An unarmed black man killed by a white Oklahoma police officer can be seen on video walking away from officers and toward his SUV with his hands up before he approaches the driver’s side door, where he drops to the ground after being shocked with a stun gun and then fatally shot.

In Tulsa, the police helicopter footage was among several clips released on Monday showing the shooting of 40-year-old Terence Crutcher and its aftermath. A man in the helicopter that arrives above the scene as Crutcher walks to the vehicle can be heard saying: “Time for a Taser.” He then says: “That looks like a bad dude, too. Probably on something.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/tulsa-oklahoma-terence-crutcher-police-shooting

It will be interesting to see the responses on here to this one.

Comments

• lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is really hard to tell, because the po-pos are stood between the dashboard camera and the guy that got shot, so was he reaching inside his car? Was it reasonable to think he may be going for a gun?

I'll probably be accused of victim blaming (and by no means do I say this dude deserved to get shot), but in todays climate, why would you walk away from four armed cops like that? :(

**I reserve the right to change my opinion if more evidence comes out. :p
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    The spokeswoman saying “I don’t know that we have protocol on how to render aid to people.” strongly suggests to me that police protocols generally need to be urgently reviewed.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only going by what we see and what it says in the Guardian article - there are 4 police officers holding a gun seemingly on this man. He, according to the article, was tasered first. Why need to shoot him? Were they so convinced that he could do anything to them after being tasered?

I agree about his arms being up, until he gets to the car when it's hard to see. Either way, it says they tasered him. Why shoot?
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did the police just follow him when he had his hands up? That was the perfect time to apprehend him before waiting until he walked towards his car
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is really hard to tell, because the po-pos are stood between the dashboard camera and the guy that got shot, so was he reaching inside his car? Was it reasonable to think he may be going for a gun?

I'll probably be accused of victim blaming (and by no means do I say this dude deserved to get shot), but in todays climate, why would you walk away from four armed cops like that? :(

**I reserve the right to change my opinion if more evidence comes out. :p

I'd agree with you actually. Obviously it should go without saying in ten foot high letters that you shouldn't have to behave like that because the police shouldn't be shooting you, but surely common sense should be telling you to protect yourself by complying with their instructions and even kneeling and not moving - anything like that - and not walking away from them, even with your hands in the air.

I know even not moving can still get you shot in some states, but at least try to protect yourself.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He would have been asked for his license and registration? I assume this is what he was getting for them? The fact that they have already been caught in one lie (saying he didn't have his hands up when he did) is going to make me less likely to believe anything they say about what happened.

The fact they shot him and then just left him there on the floor is so sad. In the time they spent slowly shuffling back to their vehicles, they could have been administering first aid.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    It looked to me like he walked away from them (with his hands up) and then tried to get in or reach into the vehicle.
    In America, if a trigger happy policeman is pointing a gun at you, best to do what he says, whatever your colour or race.
    That said, if they shot him while he was on the floor after being tasered, it's inexcusable.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with you actually. Obviously it should go without saying in ten foot high letters that you shouldn't have to behave like that because the police shouldn't be shooting you, but surely common sense should be telling you to protect yourself by complying with their instructions and even kneeling and not moving - anything like that - and not walking away from them, even with your hands in the air.

I know even not moving can still get you shot in some states, but at least try to protect yourself.

To be honest, just watching the video it almost looks like they asked him to get something from his car, the way they just let him move towards it and follow him like sheep.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    He would have been asked for his license and registration? I assume this is what he was getting for them? The fact that they have already been caught in one lie (saying he didn't have his hands up when he did) is going to make me less likely to believe anything they say about what happened.

The fact they shot him and then just left him there on the floor is so sad.

^ bingo. if they shot him because he reached into the car, why lie and say it's because he refused to put his hands up? the fact they've been caught out lying massively calls their credibility into question. that they just left him there after shooting him does the same for their sense of humanity.

but hey let's continue trying to shift some of the responsibility onto the victim...
    Forum Member

The fact they shot him and then just left him there on the floor is so sad.

At 18 seconds in on the YouTube video, you can see him put his hands down and reach for or in the car.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    To be honest, just watching the video it almost looks like they asked him to get something from his car, the way they just let him move towards it and follow him like sheep.

Yeah that certainly looks like what's happened. But then if they've asked him to fetch something from his car, why then taser him ?. And then, obviously, shoot him ?.

I suppose you can envisage a trigger happy officer who's terrified of black people and was probably so scared that she fired anyway.

It's just so ridiculously senseless. Again.
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    At 18 seconds in on the YouTube video, you can see him put his hands down and reach for or in the car.

why was the reason given for shooting him fabricated?
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know, I've seen the video. I'm saying he would have been asked for his license and registration, so my assumption is that that is what he was getting from his vehicle. We know he was unarmed and there was no weapon in his car, so I think my assumption is a fair one to make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted..............
    Forum Member
    Pee wrote: »
    why was the reason given for shooting him fabricated?

I'm not defending them, I'm just saying the video shows that he didn't have his hands up when they tasered/ shot him.
    Forum Member
    I know, I've seen the video. I'm saying he would have been asked for his license and registration, so my assumption is that that is what he was getting from his vehicle. We know he was unarmed and there was no weapon in his car, so I think my assumption is a fair one to make.

That could quite possible be what happened, but why then shoot him if he was only doing as requested ?
    Forum Member
    I'm not defending them, I'm just saying the video shows that he didn't have his hands up when they tasered/ shot him.
    the reason initially given was that he repeatedly refused to put his hands up at all. this is now confirmed as a lie.
    Forum Member
    That could quite possible be what happened, but why then shoot him if he was only doing as requested ?
    why shoot him at all? he was tasered first, let's not forget.
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    the reason initially given was that he repeatedly refused to put his hands up at all. this is now confirmed as a lie.

Have you got a citation or any quotes for that?
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    Have you got a citation or any quotes for that?

It's in the very first link the OP posted
  • liposuckerliposucker Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see the responses on here to this one.

whats your take on it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    It's in the very first link the OP posted

Quote it directly, please, because I don't see such a claim in any of the links the OP has provided.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://heavy.com/news/2016/09/terence-terrence-terance-crutcher-officer-betty-shelby-tulsa-oklahoma-black-man-shot-unarmed-video-family-photos-car/

Watching the full dash video it makes it look far worst. I cannot see any reason he was shot from this angle. What is worst is they take 5 minutes before going to his aid. Cops in the USA seriously need some training. They should not be carrying guns by default they should only be given to highly trained cops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    http://heavy.com/news/2016/09/terence-terrence-terance-crutcher-officer-betty-shelby-tulsa-oklahoma-black-man-shot-unarmed-video-family-photos-car/

Watching the full dash video it makes it look far worst. I cannot see any reason he was shot from this angle.

The helicopter footage is clearer, but it's still difficult to tell exactly why they opened fire rather than simply tazered him.

I'm starting to think it was just a terrible mistake by an officer who f**ked up massively under pressure.

On the helicopter footage you can see that when he gets back to his car he puts his hands down, and you can clearly see the cops take a step back. They obviously weren't expecting him to do that.

He never puts his hands up again and appears (although I'm not certain) to be rummaging in his pockets. Perhaps looking for his car keys to open the car door? It's not clear.

It's about 10 seconds between him putting his hands down and them apparently opening fire, when he slumps to the ground. The call of shots fired is then heard 5 or 6 seconds after that on the helicopter footage.

One thing I would like to point out is that this video completely undermines the claims that he was shot despite having his hands in the air. That doesn't mean I'm saying it was justified; just that the rush to report the shooting as far and wide as possible before the facts have been established has once again popularised a falsehood.
    Bluescope wrote: »
    What is worst is they take 5 minutes before going to his aid. Cops in the USA seriously need some training. They should not be carrying guns by default they should only be given to highly trained cops.

Yeah, that won't fly. You aren't going to get many recruits for a job where you have to regularly approach strangers in a country with nearly 300 million guns and serious gang and gun crime problems if they're not even afforded the means to defend themselves.

40 cops have been shot dead this year so far, despite them all being armed. You could probably put that figure in triple digits by disarming your average cop.

Probably wouldn't even be considered lawful.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    I'm starting to think it was just a terrible mistake by an officer who f**ked up massively under pressure.

sorry for snipping the rest of your post but i genuinely think thats one of the reasons for alot of these shootings rather than anything inherently racist