Has anyone here mounted a tablet on their dashboard?

Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
Forum Member
✭✭
I was just reading the SatNav thread and I wondered if anyone has a mount for their tablet and uses it for navigation or other stuff in their car?

I like the idea of the iPad mini or Nexus 7 maybe mounted in the car, but does it get in the way of controls, is it too big, too distracting, mount unstable or any other issues?

I like the idea, but I wondered about the practicalities. I also thought it would look odd to other motorists.

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 inch tablet maybe, 10 inch a definite no.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never done it but you can get good solid mounts from the likes of brodit, Herbert richter and ram.

You can also get mounts that secure to the front of the passenger seat rail.

Mind that iPads that are wifi only don't have built in GPS, you need the cellular version to get GPS..
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, it's something I've been considering for a while and now I've got my hands on a Note 8, I'm going to have a look and see if there's any way I can fit it in.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 inch tablet maybe, 10 inch a definite no.

I was in a taxi recently where the driver had a full sized iPad mounted on his dashboard. He said he mainly used it for watching films while he was waiting for a fare.
  • japittsjapitts Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I was in a taxi recently where the driver had a full sized iPad mounted on his dashboard. He said he mainly used it for watching films while he was waiting for a fare.

Scary. There are times to draw a line....
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I've never done it but you can get good solid mounts from the likes of brodit, Herbert richter and ram.

You can also get mounts that secure to the front of the passenger seat rail.

Mind that iPads that are wifi only don't have built in GPS, you need the cellular version to get GPS..

Since when?

There are plenty of satnav options that work off line like Navfree for example. Please check your facts before posting. Even Google Nav wil let you cache a route off line for use.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japitts wrote: »

Why is that scary?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I was just reading the SatNav thread and I wondered if anyone has a mount for their tablet and uses it for navigation or other stuff in their car?

I like the idea of the iPad mini or Nexus 7 maybe mounted in the car, but does it get in the way of controls, is it too big, too distracting, mount unstable or any other issues?

I like the idea, but I wondered about the practicalities. I also thought it would look odd to other motorists.

I've used a 7" tablet. What I did is I made a mount. The problem you have is if the thing is attached to the windscreen like a traditional satnav even a 7" tablet will block quite a bit of your vision and 'might' attract the attention of plod.

What I did is I got an old case for a tablet and removed the back, keeping the bit with the elastic that holds the tablet in the case. To the back of this I attached part of an old holder for a mobile (just for something for the actual holder to grab) and then used one of the normal mobile phone holders to grab this.

I then used this to fit to the dash (I normally mount my normal satnav on the top of the dash not the screen) . This allows for the tablet to be mounted away from the windscreen and low down enough so as not to obstruct my vision.

It does work quite well, the only problem I have is I find the tablets I've used don't have the volume range, but that's partly because the back of the case I use muffles the speaker.

Bottom line is I still prefer a normal satnav unit but yes it does work.

If you want to use Google maps in an online mode you just need to have your phone in hotspot mode, that also works well.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when?

There are plenty of satnav options that work off line like Navfree for example. Please check your facts before posting. Even Google Nav wil let you cache a route off line for use.
    It might be an idea to check yours too: even Apple's own spec sheet for the iPad seems to suggest that GPS (as in the positioning system, as opposed to using it incorrectly as a synonym for satnav as you appear to be doing) is only available on the +3G model.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be an idea to check yours too: even Apple's own spec sheet for the iPad seems to suggest that GPS (as in the positioning system, as opposed to using it incorrectly as a synonym for satnav as you appear to be doing) is only available on the +3G model.

Thankyou.

Maybe he's getting confused with GPRS?

The non cellular versions of android tabs I think have a GPS chipset in them. So they can be used for say nav (once the maps have been downloaded), but the iPads cannot....fact.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since when?

he'll be back to apologise soon.... won't he????
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japitts wrote: »
    Bigger means safer. Less squint time for maps.

And obviously taxi drivers can be parked up more than half their work day.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB-UK wrote: »
    That sort of positioning seems like it would interfere with the GPS signal.
    It would really need to be up near the windscreen to use as a GPS, would it not?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    That sort of positioning seems like it would interfere with the GPS signal.
    It would really need to be up near the windscreen to use as a GPS, would it not?
    It really does depend on the car and the GPS unit. GPS units are really sensitive these days.

Even my ancient old Fujitsu Loox was usually fine on a dash.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Since when?

Suggest you check your facts. Ever since iPad 1 the non cellular versions do not have a GPS chip.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a guy that's added a Nexus 7 to his dash:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/112249604656724534585/posts/BJdVM83jpVU