Overrated Movies

12346»

Comments

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    To be fair the comment was "The Godfather. It's not a bad movie by any means but it's way too long."

It's more frustrating when people call a film boring. Fine, you were bored, and that's not much fun. But that doesn't mean it's an overrated film, just that it's not your cup of tea.

You could say that about every single opinion.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avatar - Visually stunning, but that's it.

Hugely patronising film.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Sellars, Pink Panther films. Don't mind them but some people seem to find them side splitting.
    Ditto Jim Carey films.
    Although I hate the Ace Ventura films with a vengeance.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Brassed Off, I hate a movie that lectures you. So predictable, after 5 minutes I predicted to my wife what the ending would be and I was spot on.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    eggchen wrote: »
    Interstellar. I just thought it was a bit dull.

Yeah, I did a re-watch of this recently. I had seen it in 70 mm at the Odeon West End in London. It's a very visual film - and it does lose a lot on the TV. However, I do think it did get rather mixed reviews when it came out(Kermode was so-so about it - even though it's on his Top 10 of the year - and Peter Bradshaw and Catherine Shoard from the Guardian were rather mixed on it). I think a lot of people say that it's Nolan's weakest film - and I would agree with that.

A few others that I do agree are a bit overrated as well :-

ET - Never liked as a child. This film had so much hype(Star Wars' levels) and in the media(Makings of on TV, etc.). It wasn't released on video for such a long time in the UK - and then there was the big TV premiere on the BBC and all the coverage as well. Funnily enough, I think my parents got it from someone who had cable TV(Rediffusion?) and we recorded it for us. I think I watched it in around 1987. But, I never saw the fuss about this film - and I think it's too sentimental. Funnily enough, even though I am not really a Spielberg fan(I have come to appreciate him a lot more as I get older) - I do really like both Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jaws. I think they're both better films.

Silence of the Lambs - When I first saw this - I was really impressed with it - despite someone telling the whole story beforehand. On re-watches though - I don't think it's that strong a film. For one thing, the ending is too contrived - and some of the story doesn't make sense(sending in a rookie to get information from a known psychopath). Hopkins performance is good - but it's a supporting role and not a leading one, and he did better work later on in The Remains of the Day, Shadowlands, The Edge and Nixon. I suppose the interaction between Foster and Hopkins is good. It's a well made film - but on reflection, not quite as good as it is made out to be. I think they're other films from 1991 that were better(Boys in the Hood for example).

The Shawshank Redemption - Everyone's favourite film. The overlooked wonder of 1994(when everyone was watching Forest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Speed, Four Wedding and a Funeral and True Lies) - and the "reassessed classic" which got its dues on VHS. Blah, blah, etc. It's a good film - but not as great as it's made out to be. Good performances and an interesting story - but again not quite up to the hype.

American Beauty - Another case of Oscar hype overload. It's a well made film, but not the best of 1999(which there were quite a few decent films that year). Good performances - but again it's more hype that actual greatness.

Million Dollar Baby - Again with Oscar hype overload. Good film - but not great. Plus, Eastwood has made better films - and I'm mainly thinking of Mystic River for this century as that was the better film.
  • UsernameErrorUsernameError Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Titanic. A film you can easily skip the first couple of hours and not miss anything.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with Shawshank Redemption. Great film, sure, but still overrated. Preferred the book.

Her. Very excited about the premise (and Joaquin Phoenix). Not awful but so drawn out and depressing. It was OK but I felt flat watching it. Obviously I think it's meant to make you feel that way but it dragged so much it began to feel like a chore.

Not sure if AI: Artificial Intelligence was 'rated', over or otherwise, but I found it so awful I'm throwing it in there. Dreadful. "I want to be a real boy..." Shut up.

It made me hate my husband a little bit because I wanted to leave the cinema but I endured it - and it was an endurance - for him, only for him to declare at the end, 'Yeah...that was a bit shit."

Annie Hall. OK, maybe it's not overrated, maybe it's me. I dunno but I could only stick about 15 mins of it.

Lion King. I fell asleep.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that says Directed by Christopher Nolan.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see how Shawshank Redemption or Pulp Fiction can be overrated. They hit the spot on just about every level. Not a dull moment in either. I think the problem is they're shown far too often on tv to the point that viewers say 'Oh no! Not again.'

Agreed about A! Artificial Intelligence. Awful film in every which way. I stuck through half of it before deciding enough was enough.

Two overrated Oscar winners, although they aren't bad films either - A Beautiful Mind, and No Country For Old Men. Neither of those had any sort of wow factor about them. Usual Oscar hype about really nothing special,
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Two overrated Oscar winners, although they aren't bad films either - A Beautiful Mind, and No Country For Old Men. Neither of those had any sort of wow factor about them. Usual Oscar hype about really nothing special,

I'd add Crash and Traffic to that list too.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Good to see American Beauty & Lost in Translation getting some much-needed stick. Both far too cosmetic.
  • Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I thought American Hustle was overrated.