5 New Olympic Sports For Tokyo 2020.

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Baseball/ Softball, sport climbing, surfing, karate and skateboarding. Disappointed that they excluded squash yet again. None of the existing sports will be removed. These will be 5 new additions although baseball and softball featured separately between 1992 and 2008. Surely including surfing is going to limit the countries that can host the event. Unless they hold the surfing competition in different countries to the other events.

Comments

• Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adding sports hardly fits in with one of the IOC members saying they should be looking to reduce the costs to cities holding the Games.

IMOH some of the existing sports should be cut eg tennis, golf and rugby sevens
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baseball/ Softball, sport climbing, surfing, karate and skateboarding. Disappointed that they excluded squash yet again. None of the existing sports will be removed. These will be 5 new additions although baseball and softball featured separately between 1992 and 2008. Surely including surfing is going to limit the countries that can host the event. Unless they hold the surfing competition in different countries to the other events.

Squash has always been considered a turn-off for TV viewers.
    The inclusion of things like beach-volleyball were to attract more TV viewers, which is where the money is for the IOC.
    The continual hitting of the ball close to the side walls for minutes at a time during a squash rally, would be considered boring for those that don't know the game. Even now I've only seen "highlights," televised.
    Attendances at tournaments increased when the walls were made transparent and the ball easier to see. But you still can't accommodate many spectators.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Squash has always been considered a turn-off for TV viewers.
    The inclusion of things like beach-volleyball were to attract more TV viewers, which is where the money is for the IOC.
    The continual hitting of the ball close to the side walls for minutes at a time during a squash rally, would be considered boring for those that don't know the game. Even now I've only seen "highlights," televised.
    Attendances at tournaments increased when the walls were made transparent and the ball easier to see. But you still can't accommodate many spectators.

It was still one of the best sports to watch at the Commonwealth Games. There were some amazing matches. Especially the doubles matches.
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't imagine they'd reject a country's application to host the Olympics just because they don't have a suitable surfing location. I guess they just wouldn't have surfing in the Olympics that year if the country was unable to host it.

Golf should never have been included in the first place, certainly not in that format anyway. Maybe a team event rather than individual would be far more attractive to the audience, kinda like the Ryder Cup.
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these sound good, Climbing should be interesting to watch.
  • Corrie_Fan2Corrie_Fan2 Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are only for 2020. They changed the rules so each host city picks the extra five sports
  • Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was still one of the best sports to watch at the Commonwealth Games. There were some amazing matches. Especially the doubles matches.

I saw some of the matches live in 2014 and it was fantastic, they are so quick and skillful. Squash and Badminton players hand-eye co-ordination is second to none, I would love squash to be an Olympic sport
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't know what Squash has to do to get in the Olympics. Its a physical sport, its fast paced, its played by many nations and it doesn't suffer from over exposure. It is also a very popular sport played by many up and down the country, a sport anyone of any age and income can play, yet it gets constantly beaten to inclusion by more exclusive sports or ones where the Olympics are far from the pinnacle.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    i can understand japan pushing for baseball as it is incredibly popular there but the issue is going to be the olympics fall right in the middle of the MLB season and there is almost zero chance of it releasing players for the olympics

that doesn't just affect the US team but most countries that play baseball at a high-ish level will also have alot of their top players playing in the MLB

so what we are going to end up seeing is a very diluted competition
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the sports that are already established in their own right with world class tournaments should be excluded from the Olympics, and give the space for the lesser promoted sports to encourage diversity and give much needed exposure to the amateurs.

So football, golf, tennis in particular don't feel right as an Olympic sport. I prefer to watch their own professionally run tournaments than the half-hearted Olympic variety that may even devalue them when some of their stars pull out like it's a friendly.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan58 wrote: »
    Adding sports hardly fits in with one of the IOC members saying they should be looking to reduce the costs to cities holding the Games.

Golf is only there for US TV and advertisers. I was a bit sceptical about tennis to start with but it has now established itself as an Olympic sport and at least the top players take it seriously - unlike golf. I have no interest in softball/baseball but I can understand why Tokyo has included them due to their massive popularity in Japan.

I have no problems with rugby 7s. It was on of the highlights of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and is a fast growing sport in Africa. The Olympics should be always trying to broaden participation.

Personally, I'd support the campaign to get jousting in the Olympics - it's much more interesting than fencing!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36852985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't know what Squash has to do to get in the Olympics. Its a physical sport, its fast paced, its played by many nations and it doesn't suffer from over exposure. It is also a very popular sport played by many up and down the country, a sport anyone of any age and income can play, yet it gets constantly beaten to inclusion by more exclusive sports or ones where the Olympics are far from the pinnacle.

As I've already explained, mass audiences (the TV target for the IOC) who don't know the game, get turned off by long rallies where they're hitting the ball up and down the court, six inches from the wall. We who've played the game can appreciate it, but most won't. As I also said, you can't get many paying spectators in a venue who can watch it.

On the other hand, fit, attractive women in skimpy bikinis, poncing about in sand with a beach ball......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I've already explained, mass audiences (the TV target for the IOC) who don't know the game, get turned off by long rallies where they're hitting the ball up and down the court, six inches from the wall. We who've played the game can appreciate it, but most won't. As I also said, you can't get many paying spectators in a venue who can watch it.

On the other hand, fit, attractive women in skimpy bikinis, poncing about in sand with a beach ball......

I don't think that's true. If people enjoy volleyball, badminton, table tennis and tennis at the Olympics they would definitely enjoy squash.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But it isn't all for tv. Don't tell me fencing, pistol shooting and yachting pull in the tv crowds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it isn't all for tv. Don't tell me fencing, pistol shooting and yachting pull in the tv crowds

They are established sports.
    Fencing since 1896
    Sailing and Shooting since 1900.

New sports have to have world-wide TV appeal. That's why we've got naffin' beach volleyball.
    Squash doesn't. That's why it's rarely on British TV. Not even when Britons held both the men's and women's World championship
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are established sports.
    Fencing since 1896
    Sailing and Shooting since 1900.

New sports have to have world-wide TV appeal. That's why we've got naffin' beach volleyball.
    Squash doesn't. That's why it's rarely on British TV. Not even when Britons held both the men's and women's World championship

Are you seriously suggesting that climbing will have worldwide TV appeal?

I think searching for consistency and logic in this process is a fool's errand.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The next Olympic just has to be darts. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnBppccI0o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that climbing will have worldwide TV appeal?

I think searching for consistency and logic in this process is a fool's errand.

Behave yourself!

When did I mention climbing?

The way the IOC works is a complete mystery to me too.

What I do know, is that squash is not considered a sport that will attract significant numbers of TV viewers. That's why the coverage on the BBC has only ever been highlights,

This is beginning to get a bit like pulling teeth.

Having explained three times now the reasons why one particular sport, squash, hasn't been included in the Olympic Games, I think we can all move on, don't you?
  • huddsbluehuddsblue Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan58 wrote: »

No way should tennis be cut, it's far too established and important to the Olympics now. I agree about golf due to the big stars all chickening out, and rugby 7s just seems a bit pointless.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't care how many new sports they add I only watch track and field . There is a time and place for all the other sports and its NOT in the Olympics .

The ruling authorities are making a laughing stock of what was once a great event .
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    Roll on the day when Netball is an Olympic sport.

If surfing, wall climbing and skateboarding are Olympic sports, then Netty surely must be included too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roll on the day when Netball is an Olympic sport.

If surfing, wall climbing and skateboarding are Olympic sports, then Netty surely must be included too.

Do men play netball?
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding the rugby 7s more enjoyable than I thought, so am prepared to give these other new sports a chance.

Maybe it's the GB women doing so well, so far, and them being female so interesting how they can still be feminine in a masculine sport. The format certainly helps with fast pace. Not being a big rugby fan I presume the rules are based on Union yet the format looks more like League with individuals dashing around rather than the big rucks. Interesting combo.
  • JamborodJamborod Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    i can understand japan pushing for baseball as it is incredibly popular there but the issue is going to be the olympics fall right in the middle of the MLB season and there is almost zero chance of it releasing players for the olympics

that doesn't just affect the US team but most countries that play baseball at a high-ish level will also have alot of their top players playing in the MLB

so what we are going to end up seeing is a very diluted competition

But hopefully a boost for baseball in the UK.
  • GordonGordonGordonGordon Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rugby 7s was a major success this year but just wait until 2020. The Japanese are hugely into rugby and particularly 7s, they will be playing a 45k seater stadium which will be packed to the rafters. 7s is here to stay and is absolutely the pinnacle of the sport I would say. The world series is great but I think the players are very pleased with 7s being recognised as an Olympic sport.

Golf is there to stay too and the players who did compete have come out and said what a wonderful experience it is being part of something that is bigger than Golf and playing as part of a wider team. Personally I would cut football and put in Beach football and Futsal.