"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At? (Part 2)

Comments

• kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    12-2am (2 hours) Monday-Sunday on both STV Glasgow & Edinburgh! :(

Hmm is that simulcasted? I wouldn't be surprised if thats the reason for the closure at 12am? As the titled programme "after midnight" now appears briefly some nights at 2-2.30am!

Surely STV can operate the STV2 side without intefering with STV (main channel) or do this lot no longer have the capacity to do that but will gladly stick with the Teleshopping by any means? Pity this lot can't show anything missed or need to catch up til at least 2.30am then do a block of Teleshopping then resume programming. I forget profits for shareholders matter more than to loyal viewers, I forgot that as this lot are as bad with Viacom/MTV lot using Teleshopping to get by (up to 6 hours on VIVA!), yet why is OFCOM not slapping all this lot? Surely there has to be a restriction somewhere or does Teleshopping (well for STV meet some sort of local quota too?), Viacom I don't know but its getting much!
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    As said last week - has STV just given up or what?

Yes, check it out! :D

https://youtu.be/Pnc25AbF3ps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, check it out! :D

https://youtu.be/Pnc25AbF3ps

I can't stand that "happy days" promo - STV scraping barrels on their promos but then they been doing that for a while now!
  • james_lndsayjames_lndsay Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    No talk here so far about STV's Hogmanay Show which has already been recorded on a cold boat in Dundee, according to the local edinburgh rag it's hosted by the mess that is Lorraine Kelly and features some exciting hasbeens such as Deacon Blue, the gimp that is allegedly Mr Scotland and let's not forget she who asked Santa this year for a brain,personality and attractive looks the mind numbing bore that is Jenny Falconer.

But nots let forget the whingy Sep that is Elaine C Scott back as a guest, again according to the local rag Mr Scott hosted last years mess of a new year show, if Still Game has a new year episode then I'm watching that, BBC Glasgow and STV Glasgow at the bells fills me with dread, a good reason to get utterly pished if you cannot see the London concert and fireworks.

I was tempted to exclusively hire Ally Bain and co for a new year party in an empty fone box to save the nation from parochial pish overload but sadly him and the Bird already been booked for the night by the BBC for £100 and a free kebab, and here was me going to offer £200 and a free taxi to hell or as it's called in Scotland a new year party at Lorraine Kelly's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No talk here so far about STV's Hogmanay Show which has already been recorded on a cold boat in Dundee, according to the local edinburgh rag it's hosted by the mess that is Lorraine Kelly and features some exciting hasbeens such as Deacon Blue, the gimp that is allegedly Mr Scotland and let's not forget she who asked Santa this year for a brain,personality and attractive looks the mind numbing bore that is Jenny Falconer.

But nots let forget the whingy Sep that is Elaine C Scott back as a guest, again according to the local rag Mr Scott hosted last years mess of a new year show, if Still Game has a new year episode then I'm watching that, BBC Glasgow and STV Glasgow at the bells fills me with dread, a good reason to get utterly pished if you cannot see the London concert and fireworks.

I was tempted to exclusively hire Ally Bain and co for a new year party in an empty fone box to save the nation from parochial pish overload but sadly him and the Bird already been booked for the night by the BBC for £100 and a free kebab, and here was me going to offer £200 and a free taxi to hell or as it's called in Scotland a new year party at Lorraine Kelly's.

I didn't know STV we're doing one, I thought they gave up but reading this surprised its pre-recorded from Dundee this year! :confused: Reading as well above Lorraine Kelly, seems like STV are wheeling her out no matter what!

One thing bugs me - how did STV (local) give all this info yet not a peep for us who live in the area? I guess the audience we're shipped up from Glasgow to get rowdy on the boat

I will stick to BBC Scotland on New Years.
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised STV's Hogmanay's show wasn't just cooking done in their kitchen/studio! :p

Reading an old post I made last year: - "BBC One Scotland's Hogmanay show was something like 1.2 million viewers. STV's was 70,000." It's been similar for a while AFAIK.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BBC Alba is the place to be on hogmanay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I didn't know STV we're doing one, I thought they gave up but reading this surprised its pre-recorded from Dundee this year! :confused: Reading as well above Lorraine Kelly, seems like STV are wheeling her out no matter what!

One thing bugs me - how did STV (local) give all this info yet not a peep for us who live in the area? I guess the audience we're shipped up from Glasgow to get rowdy on the boat

Why doesn't STV fulfill its Christmas holiday local programming quota by broadcasting an hour-long STV news review of the year instead of the pre-recorded programme that it broadcasts on New Year's Eve night? Surely, seeing Big Ben striking midnight has got to be better than the STV Hogmanay programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »
    Why doesn't STV fulfill its Christmas holiday local programming quota by broadcasting an hour-long STV news review of the year instead of the pre-recorded programme that it broadcasts on New Year's Eve night? Surely, seeing Big Ben striking midnight has got to be better than the STV Hogmanay programme.

They use to do a news review at the weekends but they phased them out I think couple years ago (basically a signed review of the week) but again STV News output over christmas/new year varies it'll be either from Glasgow or Aberdeen (more likely Glasgow these days)

STV Hogmanay programming - I guess they prefer being pre-recorded than anything else, I gave up with STV long ago and that was even during the ITV farce that they tried bringing comedy back to the channel on Hogmanay with Karen Dunbar (yeah that went down well with the audience .... and just like that puff it was gone). STV is just obsessed with using the same zelebs every year ... Lorraine Kelly (their very own Sean Batty and John Mckay nauseum). STV in that department has zero talent it looks like!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Alba is the place to be on hogmanay

BBC One for me but I'll probably watch Still Game, I don't know if Only An Excuse is on this year (I think this needs to go its dated and done for...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised STV's Hogmanay's show wasn't just cooking done in their kitchen/studio! :p

Reading an old post I made last year: - "BBC One Scotland's Hogmanay show was something like 1.2 million viewers. STV's was 70,000." It's been similar for a while AFAIK.

Probably it is .... in the Scotland Tonight studio but this year they went out .... on a boat!! ... a friggin boat in the docks of Dundee (I think its the Unicorn and not Discovery but correct me) but a boat? We're the execs getting their knickers in a knot of doing a pre-recorded Hogmanay on a boat ... wow STV you actually stepped outside Glasgow for this, surprised they didn't do it in Glasgow!
    Forum Member
    They use to do a news review at the weekends but they phased them out I think couple years ago (basically a signed review of the week) but again STV News output over christmas/new year varies it'll be either from Glasgow or Aberdeen (more likely Glasgow these days)

STV Hogmanay programming - I guess they prefer being pre-recorded than anything else, I gave up with STV long ago and that was even during the ITV farce that they tried bringing comedy back to the channel on Hogmanay with Karen Dunbar (yeah that went down well with the audience .... and just like that puff it was gone). STV is just obsessed with using the same zelebs every year ... Lorraine Kelly (their very own Sean Batty and John Mckay nauseum). STV in that department has zero talent it looks like!

Why is STV bothering with a Hogmanay programme? It would save money if it didn't. Has it got a problem with the idea of terrestrial viewers in its regions being able to see Big Ben strike midnight (though those viewers will still be able to see it on the BBC News Channel).

UTV NI does a news review of the year during the Christmas holidays (I don't know if that's continuing now that ITV has taken over).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is STV bothering with a Hogmanay programme? It would save money if it didn't. Has it got a problem with the idea of terrestrial viewers in its regions being able to see Big Ben strike midnight (though those viewers will still be able to see it on the BBC News Channel).

UTV NI does a news review of the year during the Christmas holidays (I don't know if that's continuing now that ITV has taken over).

I think with STV they are trying to keep up with the Scottish tradition really - trying to say you have BBC Scotland or STV for Hogmanay programming, but I believe BBC Scotland still wins the viewers over compared to STV.

The budget for their Hogmanay show is done for free (I presume their must be a bit of costs somewhere). STV has no "regions" these days its mostly coming from Clyde the only opt outs is the news ie Grampian (STV North) and Glasgow, I presume it does opt out in Edinburgh for their news too at 1.55pm/6pm/10.45pm (varies with Scotland Tonight) but STV in general is Glasgow controlled and nothing more. Just do a quick google search and you will find most of the names STV uses comes from Glasgow and nowhere else in Scotland http://companydb.uk/postcode/g511pq
    Forum Member
    I think with STV they are trying to keep up with the Scottish tradition really - trying to say you have BBC Scotland or STV for Hogmanay programming, but I believe BBC Scotland still wins the viewers over compared to STV.

The budget for their Hogmanay show is done for free (I presume their must be a bit of costs somewhere). STV has no "regions" these days its mostly coming from Clyde the only opt outs is the news ie Grampian (STV North) and Glasgow, I presume it does opt out in Edinburgh for their news too at 1.55pm/6pm/10.45pm (varies with Scotland Tonight) but STV in general is Glasgow controlled and nothing more. Just do a quick google search and you will find most of the names STV uses comes from Glasgow and nowhere else in Scotland http://companydb.uk/postcode/g511pq

Thanks.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here then are the CHRISTMAS STV OPT OUTS for Sat. 17th-Fri 30th Dec. As always programmes may be subject to change, with the ITV showings in brackets:-

Variations 1st week (17th-23rd) -

Primetime:-

Thur - ANIMAL 999 (Countrywise)

Late night:-

Sat-Fri TELESHOPPING (Gambling) plus...

Sun - JEREMY KYLE (Motorsport)

Variations 2nd week (Christmas Eve 24th-30th) -

Daytime:-

Christmas Day Sun - WILD IRELAND :confused::o (part 6 of 6) - what a bizarre decision by STV to throw this in on Christmas Day morning at 9.25am! (Countrywise)

Christmas Eve Sat - (Film: Carry On Loving)

The "no show on STV" list:-

2016:-

COUNTRYWISE (Series 8, parts 1-15, Sept)
    FISHING IMPOSSIBLE (parts 1-10, Sept)
    CELEBRITY HOME SECRETS (parts 1-6, Aug)
    WILD FRANCE WITH RAY MEARS (parts 1-6, July)
    BARGING ROUND BRITAIN (Series 2, parts 1-6 Apr)
    FURTHER TALES FROM NORTHUMBERLAND (Series 3, parts 5-8, Feb)

2014 & 2015:-

BRITAIN: AS SEEN ON ITV (part 6, Aug 2015), SUPERHOSPITAL (June), BRITAIN'S BUSIEST AIRPORT - HEATHROW (series 1, parts 1-3, May), SECRETS FROM THE SKY & HOTEL IN THE CLOUDS (Nov 2014)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Here then are the CHRISTMAS STV OPT OUTS for Sat. 17th-Fri 30th Dec. As always programmes may be subject to change, with the ITV showings in brackets:-

Variations 1st week (17th-23rd) -

Primetime:-

Thur - ANIMAL 999 (Countrywise)

Sun - JEREMY KYLE (Motorsport)

Variations 2nd week (Christmas Eve 24th-30th) -

Daytime:-

Christmas Day Sun - WILD IRELAND :confused::o (part 6 of 6) - what a bizarre decision by STV to throw this in on Christmas Day morning at 9.25am! (Countrywise)

Christmas Eve Sat - (Film: Carry On Loving)

The "no show on STV" list:-

2016:-

COUNTRYWISE (Series 8, parts 1-15, Sept)
    FISHING IMPOSSIBLE (parts 1-10, Sept)
    CELEBRITY HOME SECRETS (parts 1-6, Aug)
    WILD FRANCE WITH RAY MEARS (parts 1-6, July)
    BARGING ROUND BRITAIN (Series 2, parts 1-6 Apr)
    FURTHER TALES FROM NORTHUMBERLAND (Series 3, parts 5-8, Feb)

2014 & 2015:-

BRITAIN: AS SEEN ON ITV (part 6, Aug 2015), SUPERHOSPITAL (June), BRITAIN'S BUSIEST AIRPORT - HEATHROW (series 1, parts 1-3, May), SECRETS FROM THE SKY & HOTEL IN THE CLOUDS (Nov 2014)

So 9.25am on Christmas Day - ITV are showing Countrywise but STV chooses to opt out to finally finish Wild Ireland .... I wonder who made this cock up! I wonder though (I might be wrong) if Countrywise is a Christmas Special but STV will probably air it next day or quite possibly New Years :confused: STV the channel of confusion!! Again just to re-iterate what I pointed out before - if someone was series linking Wild Ireland and for it to magically appear out of the blue surely viewers will be annoyed at this? I wonder if someone has and STV has kind of said "sorry we airing the final episode NOW" Even though this is an ITV series ITV completes it in ONE GO STV on the other hand can't make heads or tails on what they are doing with it with the constant start stop through the year (without any ON AIR announcement!) I kind of give with up for trying to follow ITV shows like this or Countrywise on STV as they seem to take the piss out of them let alone complete them - glad I got an amazon firestick and can opt out of STV guff and watch ITV instead and I think I will be doing that now in the new year!
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The last few years STVs Hogmanay Show has been very poor and not like it used to be years ago.
    I'm always out for an hour or so in the evening of Hogmanay but when I get back in I 9 times out of 10 put on BBC1 Scotland and watch that till just after the bells.
    As I have said before if it was not for the few programmes that I still watch on STV(ITV) than I would hardly watch the channel at all.
    Apart from a few opt out shows and some of them are crap but not all of them. 90% of what STV shows is now just ITV.
    Glad I'm not really in much during a weekday as I'm at work for some of the daytime TV on not just STV(ITV) is rubbish.
    I'm also don't get a good signal from the local Edinburgh Mux and from what I hear I'm not missing much by not really being able to pick up STV Edinburgh.

Darren
    Forum Member
    It is churlish of STV to deny terrestrial viewers in its area the opportunity to watch the special ITV News programme that is being broadcast in the rest of the UK on New Year's Eve night at 11:30. STV is embarrassing itself with the folly of a pre-recorded Hogmanay show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is churlish of STV to deny terrestrial viewers in its area the opportunity to watch the special ITV News programme that is being broadcast in the rest of the UK on New Year's Eve night at 11:30. STV is embarrassing itself with the folly of a pre-recorded Hogmanay show.

This is the problem with this lot they seem to think they know their viewers when they clearly don't, they may as well shoved the Hogmanay show on BEFORE joining ITV at 1130pm instead and cut out the "false" atmosphere of celebrating new year. I rather if anything STV made more of an effort with/against BBC Scotland on Hogmanay than drag out the zelebrities of Scotland for the channel - its embarassing, where is the fresh talent for the station? Still got Sean Batty and most newsreaders (well for us in STV North) have long gone their sell by date! I guess the talent pool revolves between Glasgow and Edinburgh plus with the launch of STV2 shortly I wonder what talentless wannabes will fill the air!

The laughable thing about this regarding not joining ITV at 1130pm is STV will be able to see it their own TV studio - just cut the feed off ITV (they watch it happening LIVE on ITV but meanwhile shove on a pre-recorded show for the rest of us), you be lucky if you got Sky and Virgin to avoid this drab on STV!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the problem with this lot they seem to think they know their viewers when they clearly don't, they may as well shoved the Hogmanay show on BEFORE joining ITV at 1130pm instead and cut out the "false" atmosphere of celebrating new year. I rather if anything STV made more of an effort with/against BBC Scotland on Hogmanay than drag out the zelebrities of Scotland for the channel - its embarassing, where is the fresh talent for the station? Still got Sean Batty and most newsreaders (well for us in STV North) have long gone their sell by date! I guess the talent pool revolves between Glasgow and Edinburgh plus with the launch of STV2 shortly I wonder what talentless wannabes will fill the air!

The laughable thing about this regarding not joining ITV at 1130pm is STV will be able to see it their own TV studio - just cut the feed off ITV (they watch it happening LIVE on ITV but meanwhile shove on a pre-recorded show for the rest of us), you be lucky if you got Sky and Virgin to avoid this drab on STV!

I will like the last few years watch BBC1 Scotland 10 or 12 mins before the bells and for a few mins after the bells.
    STV used to be better back in the 80/90s for its Hogmanay show but BBC1 Scotland used to have a better line up of programmes an hour or so before there Hogmanay(New Year) show came on.

Darren
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member

Or Freesat with an English Postcode for the ITV Local channels
    Forum Member
    I wonder would a complaint to Ofcom about STV's schedule policy make a difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't have Freesat but if I did I would probably set the channel to ITV Border..
    I don't watch STV(ITV) as much as I used to back in the 80s and 90s.
    I now use Netflix at last 3 timescale week.
    There is now also other channels that I now watch at times.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder would a complaint to Ofcom about STV's schedule policy make a difference.

I doubt it would STV would manage to swindle round it and make out that they have to do their opt outs so programmes will be missed (but yet they can schedule them before Teleshopping before 12am!), let alone if no viewers exist for the channel after 12am then why not just air the programming and get them on the STV Player - isn't that the whole point of STV Player - ITV does it, Sky, BBC etc all do it so why can't they regarding ITV shows but I guess they don't want to but their content is better (yeah right)!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably get away with it on the Playstation/XBOX consoles - I have a amazon firestick downloaded ITV Hub and put in a London postcode, but for future reference I am going to use ITV Hub more if programmes are missed