Forum Member
    Genuine question, but
    What is Banged Up Abroad?

Couldn't stop laughing, but had no idea why
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't stop laughing when
    he caught his belt on the window latch and lost his trousers.
    Also
    when he ended up inside the septic tank in the van!
    :D:D:D:D
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from the cinema, I loved this film. I was expecting it to be good, but not that good! There wasn't a dull moment, the whole thing was really sharply written and extremely funny. I'd happily go and see it again.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baldtony wrote: »
    Genuine question, but
    What is Banged Up Abroad?

Couldn't stop laughing, but had no idea why
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still laughing now at THAT BIT! Best TV comedy adaptation ever by a country mile.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Still laughing now at THAT BIT! Best TV comedy adaptation ever by a country mile.

Which bit? There were lots of bits!

Has anyone else had Cuddly Toy by Roachford on repeat since seeing this movie?! Maybe the best opening credits to any comedy in the last 10 years :D

'NO FOG!!!! NO FOG!!!!' :D:D
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed there were lots of bit but especially
    The Window scene with his trousers!

Still laughing!
  • FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I was worried it would be disappointing but it was brilliant!
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really enjoy it as much as you lot... But then I was never a Partridge fan.... Yes it was amusing but I've seen better and like I say I am not a fan....

And before you ask why I went to see it, I went with a group of friends and I am a cineworld unlimited card holder, so it didn't cost me anything really anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    Has anyone else had Cuddly Toy by Roachford on repeat since seeing this movie?! Maybe the best opening credits to any comedy in the last 10 years :D

'NO FOG!!!! NO FOG!!!!' :D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH1SPYM2Y9E

:D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saw it today and it was hilarious.

I thoroughly recommend it.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught this last week and really enjoyed it. As with any TV to film adaption, there is a worry that it won't translate well but this was a complete success. Coogan is just made to be Partridge and Iannucci almost always delivers.
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant movie, it's amazing how the character of AP has now been around for over 20 years but can still carry a 90 minute movie. The Partridge musical soundtrack was great too.

Even despite some rather contrived plotting towards the end:
    I'm not quite sure how the Radio Norwich roadshow truck was sitting in the basement of North Norfolk Digital when I always thought the two were separate stations? Also how a photograph of the Gordale Media team with the incriminating Partridge writing on the flipchart just happened to be lying about in the truck?

it was still a lot of fun. I've also been to
    Cromer Pier
    too so I can claim to have visited another iconic movie location :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not quite sure how the Radio Norwich roadshow truck was sitting in the basement of North Norfolk Digital when I always thought the two were separate stations? Also how a photograph of the Gordale Media team with the incriminating Partridge writing on the flipchart just happened to be lying about in the truck?
    Radio Norwich was sold to Gordale Media so they would have acquired all the assets. When Radio Norwich was taken over by Gordale they took Alan off the air and switched him to one of their other stations, Radio North Norfolk. When Radio North Norfolk's FM licence came up for renewal in 2006 they decided not to bid and go digital only. They were then rebranded to North Norfolk Digital.

It's all explained in I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan

As for the photo, it was on Alan's company laptop IIRC.
  • Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really want to go and see this again, it was THAT good.

Clearly they spent time on this and must have had a lot of the jokes saved for years but the wait was completely worth it. Makes up for the disappointment of seeing The World's End the other week. This is how British comedy should be made.
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Radio Norwich was sold to Gordale Media so they would have acquired all the assets. When Radio Norwich was taken over by Gordale they took Alan off the air and switched him to one of their other stations, Radio North Norfolk. When Radio North Norfolk's FM licence came up for renewal in 2006 they decided not to bid and go digital only. They were then rebranded to North Norfolk Digital.

It's all explained in I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan

As for the photo, it was on Alan's company laptop IIRC.

Aha!:D
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this film. One of the funniest films Ive seen in a long time. Loved all the bits that have already been mentioned, this also had me in tears
    Alan on Lynn's new makeover "I take no pleasure in saying this, but some people think your hair looks like a photograph of an explosion".

Think it might have been in the trailer but spoilered it just in case
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this yesterday, really good fun. I haven't seen all of the past Alan Partridge stuff but then I don't think you really need to, just have a knowledge of the character.

The bit that really tickled me was
    Alan's "presentation" to the execs and the bit at the end where he drops his gloves and then realises he's still left one and you just hear him whimper "Oh ****"
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Sort of OK film. Very funny at times, mildly amusing at others and tedious for the rest. There were only 5 people in the cinema...speaks for itself doesn't it.

AP has made a movie that can only be shown in the UK,,,the rest of the world wouldn't have a clue what's going on especially the Americans.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    Sort of OK film. Very funny at times, mildly amusing at others and tedious for the rest. There were only 5 people in the cinema...speaks for itself doesn't it.

AP has made a movie that can only be shown in the UK,,,the rest of the world wouldn't have a clue what's going on especially the Americans.

Who cares what the Americans think and I'm so glad he didn't compromise the character in order to appeal to them.

I don't think I've ever cried laughing in the cinema but I did last night when I saw this film. Absolutely bloody hilarious!
  • JoJoJayJoJoJay Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »

I loved the movie. Cinema was full on Sunday afternoon, lots of laugh-out-loud moments.
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remembered another part that I couldnt stop laughing at
    Alan's Bin Laden line at the end, re pats wife being buried at sea

Textbook inappropriately hilarious Alan :p
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    JoJoJay wrote: »
    I loved the movie. Cinema was full on Sunday afternoon, lots of laugh-out-loud moments.

The thing is that this film was made for a niche audience of die hard AP fans (not a problem for me...don't shoot the messenger, I'm only making an observation).

I had to explain to the person with me in the cinema who Felicity Montagu was as it was not clear when she first appeared on screen.

I'm not anti-AP, Knowing Me Knowing You is a massive favourite TV show of mine.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was mostly excellent, much less broad than the not-great trailer suggested.

Alan's third-act turnaround was tad corny (the tv show would never make him that sentimental) but overall good stuff. Hope they make another.