Options

Artists that were big for a while that you don't really hear of now still make music

Comments

• Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    ZZ Top

According to Wiki their last studio album was released in 2012. They're still touring though.
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    According to Wiki their last studio album was released in 2012. They're still touring though.

Is it without Frank Beard now? Or still the classic lineup?
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latter. Still Billy, Dusty and Frank.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Backstreet Boys went a bit One Direction n their new single
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynBplqio1R4

They are VERY busy at the moment touring, making music, and shooting a film.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstreet_Boys

A1 had 2 new albums out in 2015. This was their comeback single in 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8_GenlPDRc

Who'd have thought?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, A1 nearly represented Norway in Eurovision a few years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7LAtZy9yw
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard a recent recording by Robin Trower just yesterday:

https://youtu.be/UYpMLqXR6cw

For a while back in the day he was the new Clapton/Hendrix/whoever. I didn't even know he was still alive (sorry). Turns out he's still touring and playing great guitar.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Public Enemy
    De la soul
    Cypress hill
    Omar
    SWV
    Jadakiss
    The Brand new heavies
    Souls of mischief
    Incognito
    Kelis
    Faith Evans
    Morcheeba
    Roots manuva
    Wu-tang clan
    Redman
    Toni braxton
    Monica
    Ashanti
    Roni size
    Massive attack
    Leftfield
    Orbital
    Groove Armada
    Goldfrapp
    Inner circle
    Robert owens
    Mazzy star
    Macy gray
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Omar
    The Brand new heavies
    Incognito

These three are still very active, making music and gigging. I'm seeing both BNH and Incognito this year and got albums by all 3 acts in the last couple of years.
  • Options
    MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Public Enemy
    De la soul
    Cypress hill
    Omar
    SWV
    Jadakiss
    The Brand new heavies
    Souls of mischief
    Incognito
    Kelis
    Faith Evans
    Morcheeba
    Roots manuva
    Wu-tang clan
    Redman
    Toni braxton
    Monica
    Ashanti
    Roni size
    Massive attack
    Leftfield
    Orbital
    Groove Armada
    Goldfrapp
    Inner circle
    Robert owens
    Mazzy star
    Macy gray

Most of these people are still in music they're just not played on radio. Monica just released a new album, SWV reunited a few years ago. Toni Braxton is recording an album she also put out a duet album with Babyface 2 years ago and won a Grammy for it. Ashanti, Macy Gray, Faith Evans too they're all still making music.

It's just the state of the industry now, all radio plays are dance songs with random features and teen pop. It's all about singles nowadays big artists aren't really on the radio or in the charts now. Even huge stars like Beyoncé and Rihanna don't get great radio play, that's why they've become more focused on being more album artists, just look at Beyonces last album, other than Drunk in Love the general public wouldn't know any of the other songs. Great music is still out there you just have to look harder for it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    These three are still very active, making music and gigging. I'm seeing both BNH and Incognito this year and got albums by all 3 acts in the last couple of years.

Me too (got all there new albums) would like to see BNH live instead of on youtube i'm sure u will have a great night..i saw incognito & bnh live in the 90's. Occasionally i have seen omar riding his bike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    Most of these people are still in music they're just not played on radio. Monica just released a new album, SWV reunited a few years ago. Toni Braxton is recording an album she also put out a duet album with Babyface 2 years ago and won a Grammy for it. Ashanti, Macy Gray, Faith Evans too they're all still making music.

It's just the state of the industry now, all radio plays are dance songs with random features and teen pop. It's all about singles nowadays big artists aren't really on the radio or in the charts now. Even huge stars like Beyoncé and Rihanna don't get great radio play, that's why they've become more focused on being more album artists, just look at Beyonces last album, other than Drunk in Love the general public wouldn't know any of the other songs. Great music is still out there you just have to look harder for it!

Not most..all of them have made an album in the past 5 years, or have one about to come out.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too (got all there new albums) would like to see BNH live instead of on youtube i'm sure u will have a great night..i saw incognito & bnh live in the 90's. Occasionally i have seen omar riding his bike.

If you live within travelling distance of Essex, BNH are playing at the Brentwood Festival in July along with Soul II Soul and it's only about £20 a ticket

http://brentwoodfestival.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    If you live within travelling distance of Essex, BNH are playing at the Brentwood Festival in July along with Soul II Soul and it's only about £20 a ticket

http://brentwoodfestival.co.uk/

Thanks for the link, i just checked their twitter page and saw they are going to be playing in wimbledon in august. i will even be able to walk there.:D
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiffany released a brand new album this week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisqc wrote: »
    Tiffany released a brand new album this week

I have just listened to her new single "Right Here".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J1JD44l6tQ

In one word? Sublime. No rent a rapper, no swearing. But no radio play or music channel play either. Disgusting. Lets keep this thread alive and celebrate these wonderful artisits and give the current music industry the middle finger.
  • Options
    TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anastacia.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feeder
    Ash
    Garbage
    Skunk Anansie
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Motley Crue toured the world and sold out arenas everywhere from 2005 to 2015 - They released a new album in 2008.
    Band leader Nikki Sixx stated on many occasions that there was no point in releasing new music because classic stations wont play new music and regular stations wont play classic bands at all
    I think he had a very good point,that could apply to any well known artist from yesteryear
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Motley Crue toured the world and sold out arenas everywhere from 2005 to 2015 - They released a new album in 2008.
    Band leader Nikki Sixx stated on many occasions that there was no point in releasing new music because classic stations wont play new music and regular stations wont play classic bands at all
    I think he had a very good point,that could apply to any well known artist from yesteryear

I'm sure Motley Crue fans would have appreciated it if new music was made.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just listened to her new single "Right Here".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J1JD44l6tQ

In one word? Sublime. No rent a rapper, no swearing. But no radio play or music channel play either. Disgusting. Lets keep this thread alive and celebrate these wonderful artisits and give the current music industry the middle finger.

That's really good. Reminds me of The Color Of Silence material from 2000. Great album :)
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    MSP can still enter the top 10 of the UK album chart, but radio and press don't give their new music a lot of airtime or media coverage. A few of my older brother's mates were surprised to find out the band is still recording new music. They haven't had a platinum album since 2002, and other than a few arena shows here and there (usually in Wales, their homeland) they stick to smaller venues nowadays.

If you're going to call someone ignorant, at least do a little research.

Jesus fella, that's like saying "Iron Maiden don't get a lot of media/radio coverage, therefore they're not a big deal" which is obviously ridiculous as they're doing stadiums all over the world and none of their albums have gone platinum either.

The guy you quoted was completely bang on, a large chunk of this thread is just people exposing their ignorance. I mean Bon Jovi for gods sake, come on...
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joss Stone
    2003-2005 were her golden years. She doesn't sell as much these days but she still makes music, can sell out tours and runs her own label. She is much more acclaimed and respected in the US than she is here. She also works a lot of Dave Stewart.
    Joss basically levelled her bank account buying out her contract I believe

Corporate greed
  • Options
    mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Human League
    Franz Ferdinand
    Natasha Bedingfield
    Travis
    Nelly Furtado
    Mika
    Duffy (then again, she hasn't released anything for six years)
    Manic Street Preachers
    Dido
    Macy Gray
    Ocean Colour Scene

Fran Healy lead vocalist and songwriter of Travis was on Absolute Radio as a guest DJ past couple of weeks, they play his --solo, may have some Travis members in there---singles Three Miles High and Magnificent Times (Coldplay sounding and Paul Simon sounding respectively)pretty regular. Great,great songs.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dido is one that completely flip-flopped from success to obscurity. With the genre she sings though she could still release a number of good albums in years to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ladies, gentlemen and all others.... I present the new Blink 182 single
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yGipyel-3I

Let me know if you hear it on the radio. We'll see if it makes it into the top 20.

That got me thinking of Good Charlotte. Their single "Makeshift Love" was released 6 months ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5JxCbz-UI