The Official Christmas Radio Times Countdown And Christmas TV Thread *2017*

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish the BBC would be bold and try something different for next year even a live action film in the afternoon would be a treat, and i wish ITV would give the BBC a run for their money on Christmas day.
  • asjonesukasjonesuk Posts: 8,954
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if Downton ever competed favourably with BBC1?

It's a shame for ITV because they do occasionally get some decent dramas - but apart from Downton, the majority of ITVs drama are either very dark or period dramas that are death heavy - generally not suitable for Christmas Day viewing (though I don't personally believe everything has to be bright and happy just because it's Christmas - but apparently other people do)
  • Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,297
    Forum Member
    I shall look forward to be posting here next year, so I will like to wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year. :)
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall look forward to be posting here next year, so I will like to wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year. :)

Merry Christmas!
  • Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,297
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Merry Christmas!

And Merry Christmas to you and have a Happy New Year. :)
  • iceolaiceola Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would any one know if Flash Gordon the recent Queen version or
    Pride and the Passion Cary Grant Sophia Loren Frank Sinatra films are being shown over Christmas/New year?
    Thanks in advance.

Don't suppose ITV will dig out There was a crooked man
    (the Norman Wisdom one)
    by any chance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Merry Christmas to you and have a Happy New Year. :)

Thanks...
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceola wrote: »
    Pride and the Passion Cary Grant Sophia Loren Frank Sinatra films are being shown over Christmas/New year?
    Thanks in advance.

(the Norman Wisdom one)
    by any chance?

I think Flash Gordon is on Film4 or More4 something like 27th/28th December in the morning
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    iceola wrote: »
    Thanks in advance.

(the Norman Wisdom one)
    by any chance?

Flash Gordon is on more4 9.45am Thursday 22nd December
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love some old musical films - West Side Story, South Pacific, Oklahoma for instance.
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    I would love some old musical films - West Side Story, South Pacific, Oklahoma for instance.

Channel 5 are showing 5 musicals in a row on Christmas Day including Singin' in the Rain and the Wizard of Oz and they're showing West Side Story on Boxing Day.

BBC2 are also showing a West Side Story documentary.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it follows the same pattern as Skyfall, Spectre could get it's terrestrial premier on ITV next Christmas. If so I'd think that would be on Christmas Eve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas RT 2016 starts Tomorrow, so a year to 2017! :D
  • Ian_StevensIan_Stevens Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I look forward to seeing how ITV's "Maigret's Dead Man" performs in terms of audience numbers, to gauge whither people have become a little too "fed up" with the BBC's predictable "winning line-up" for Christmas Day, which may shake up the BBC schedule for 2017.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I look forward to seeing how ITV's "Maigret's Dead Man" performs in terms of audience numbers, to gauge whither people have become a little too "fed up" with the BBC's predictable "winning line-up" for Christmas Day, which may shake up the BBC schedule for 2017.

The thing is, this is the only show that ITV have made a real effort and put something new and good on, but the slot will go over three BBC shows, Call the midwife, Eastenders and Mrs Browns Boys.

I can see many going for the " recording" option with Maigret as they will want to watch 1, 2 or 3 of the BBC shows, and then watch Maigret another day and zap the adverts.

Next year no bake off on BBC so thst will change, personally I would have CTM on another day, and had Sherlock premiere on Christmas night.
  • Ian_StevensIan_Stevens Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    The thing is, this is the only show that ITV have made a real effort and put something new and good on, but the slot will go over three BBC shows, Call the midwife, Eastenders and Mrs Browns Boys.

I can see many going for the " recording" option with Maigret as they will want to watch 1, 2 or 3 of the BBC shows, and then watch Maigret another day and zap the adverts.

Next year no bake off on BBC so thst will change, personally I would have CTM on another day, and had Sherlock premiere on Christmas night.

Pardon my ignorance, are "recordings" taken into account with audience ratings? I think iPlayer and ITVHub are included?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pardon my ignorance, are "recordings" taken into account with audience ratings? I think iPlayer and ITVHub are included?

I am not an expert but catch up up to circa 01.00 video on demand is.

You have " overnight" ratings that's gave a cut off, and reported the next morning. Then " consolidated" that report a week later with catch up and on demand added.

This may not be a perfect answer......

IPlayer is counted differently and reported by " requests" that doesn't say if someone watched it all of the way through though.
    Forum Member
    FAQ's about ratings can be found here

http://www.barb.co.uk/about-us/frequently-asked-questions/
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Because it's one of BBC's most watched dramas and when they announced it had been commissioned for 3 new series they said each series would include a Christmas Special

I'd rather watch Call the Midwife than Holby City, Casualty or EastEnders.........

I'd rather watch an hour and a half of Casualty
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather watch an hour and a half of Casualty

On its Christmas break..
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to wish all thread regulars a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous, and more normal, New year. It is a very busy week for me, my birthday tomorrow and visiting relatives and work right up until Christmas Eve, so I may not get much chance to post on here this side of the big day. But, thanks to all for making these Countdown threads so magical and warm, and thanks for providing smiles, food for thought and good old fashioned courtesy.

So, see you "on the other side" and have a truly amazing festive season. Merry Christmas one and all. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I would like to wish all thread regulars a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous, and more normal, New year. It is a very busy week for me, my birthday tomorrow and visiting relatives and work right up until Christmas Eve, so I may not get much chance to post on here this side of the big day. But, thanks to all for making these Countdown threads so magical and warm, and thanks for providing smiles, food for thought and good old fashioned courtesy.

So, see you "on the other side" and have a truly amazing festive season. Merry Christmas one and all. :)
    Merry Christmas
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Year " Sherlock" Radio Times arrived.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Times- Top Dramas 17.

Sherlock. 1st January
    Line of Duty - Spring.
    Prime suspect 1973. Spring.
    The Halcyon First week January.
    SS-GB February
    Doctor Who- April.
    Tina and Bobby First week January.
    Taboo Saturdays January.
    Lemony Snicket Netflix.
    Silent Witness First week January
    Doctor Foster Autumn.
    Death in paradise First week January.
    Broadchurch 3 - Early 2017.
    Britannia - Sky 2017.
    Apple Tree Yard January.
    Unforgotten First week January
    Moorside February.
    Poldark Series three Autumn
  • domesticated75domesticated75 Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys – I read the 2016 thread – but never posted. So wanted to say hi and wish you all a Merry Christmas – I will certainly add comments on here in 2017…